Windows 10: Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition

Discus and support Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Vaio laptop and migrated my factory Windows 7 install to an SSD about a year ago, which apparently left me with no system reserved partition.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cleave, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Cleave Win User

Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition

I have a Vaio laptop and migrated my factory Windows 7 install to an SSD about a year ago, which apparently left me with no system reserved partition. I used these instructions to create a new system reserved partition, but I'm still getting the same 'Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition' error when trying to start the Windows 10 upgrade. Anyone know if there is something else I can do to get the upgrade to work? I really don't want to do a fresh install of Win 7 (assuming that would even work). My diskmgmt screenshot is below.
    Edit: Also found this thread on reddit , but not sure if that really applies to my situation.

Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition [​IMG]

:)

Cleave, Aug 19, 2015

2. trying to upgrade to win 10 get message "we couldn't update system reserved partition"....

*Original Title: upgrade

trying to upgrade to win 10 get message "we couldn't update system reserved partition"....

SherrieBlair, Aug 19, 2015
  3. chazoukay Win User
    Error "couldn't update the system reserved partition"

Original title: Using Get Windows 10 OS | Shop & Buy Windows 10 Devices | Check for Windows Updates, MS wouldn't upgrade my Win 7 machine to Win 10 because it "couldn't update the system reserved partition." What's this about?

Using
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade
    , after downloading the whole 64-bit version, MS wouldn't upgrade my Win 7 machine to Win 10 because it "couldn't update the system reserved partition." What's this about?

chazoukay, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Saltgrass Win User

Your System Reserved is a special partition which contains Boot files and Recovery options. Yours shows to be just a normal partition. You also have a smaller one used to boot the system, which the System Reserved Partition normally does.

Is there anything in the System Reserved partition?

Just a suggestion to consider:

Change the Partition ID on the 100 MB partition to match what a System Reserved partition normally uses. Remove the current System Reserved Partition and extend the 100 MB partition into that space. I will need to check what the ID of a System Reserved Partition is since I do not use one.

Edit: Looks like the Partition Type is the same as a normal data partition, so that should be OK. You could change the partition label.

Saltgrass, Aug 19, 2015
  5. Cleave Win User
    There is currently nothing in the 'System Reserved' partition that I created. I will try to change the ID on the 100MB partition when I get home from work. If you know what I need to change it to, that would be fantastic. Thanks for the help.

Cleave, Aug 19, 2015
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    Just in case you did not see the edit, you do not need to change the ID, they are the same for partition types, 07..

Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition [​IMG]

Saltgrass, Aug 19, 2015
  7. Cleave Win User
    This seems to have worked, got past the place it was hanging up before and now Win 10 is downloading. Thanks!

Cleave, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition - Similar Threads - Upgrade Error Couldn't

2. Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition: Every time I Try to Update, I Get the Error Message: We Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition I tried Deleting My Fonts but It Still Shows the Error...
  3. Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition: Every time I Try to Update, I Get the Error Message: We Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition I tried Deleting My Fonts but It Still Shows the Error...
  4. we couldn't update the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    we couldn't update the system reserved partition: Trying to download Windows 10 (I have Windows 7) here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I go through that DL process and it shoots an error message: "we couldn't update the system reserved partition" and I find this is a pretty common error message...
  5. error install win 10: We couldn't update the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    error install win 10: We couldn't update the system reserved partition: what to do... for my SSD windows 7 ?? I backup my computer, and just prior 2 months I cloned HDD to SSD... tried upgrade Windows 7 to windows 10 after download completed and checking updates / just prior to install getting We couldn't update the system reserved...
  6. we couldn't update the system reserved partition win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    we couldn't update the system reserved partition win 10: I have been trying for over a week there are lots of answers have tried a few of them but I am a bit bothered in case my computer goes wrong. I am not so good on doing any thing to my PC. will try anything but some of the answers to my problem ask me to do stuff that very...
  7. Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 - message "we couldn't update the system reserved partition"

Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 - message "we couldn't update the system reserved partition": Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 - message "we couldn't update the system reserved partition" How to fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-upgrade-from-win-7-message-we-couldnt/9b4c0ece-c8c0-44ba-9ac3-848565faac4a
  8. Windows 10 couldn't update system reserved partition

Windows 10 couldn't update system reserved partition: So I'm using win 7 at the moment and I want to upgrade for DX12 but anytime I try to it just says "We couldnt't update the system reserved partition" My reserved partition is 100mb and I know you need something like 350mb or something like that but I cant figure out how to...
  9. "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" win10 upgrade error

"We couldn't update the system reserved partition" win10 upgrade error: Hi, I am running win 8.1 and I want to upgrade to win 10. It show me this message: [img] This is my HD: [img] Any idea how to solve this problem??? 11844
  10. We couldn't update the system reserved partition

We couldn't update the system reserved partition: I have googled this issue a lot and I see a lot of things that can be done but I some are not working. My partitions look different so its a little strange. When I try to upgrade to 10, I get the error message "We couldn't update the system partition". I had an older SSD that...