Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade failed. How to prevent it from being tried again?

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade failed. How to prevent it from being tried again? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Aloha, I've got a couple of Win 8.1 machines where I discovered that the upgrade to Win 10 was attempted (and I did not ask for this) and failed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Haole Boy, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Haole Boy Win User

Win 10 upgrade failed. How to prevent it from being tried again?

Aloha,

I've got a couple of Win 8.1 machines where I discovered that the upgrade to Win 10 was attempted (and I did not ask for this) and failed. At this point I really don't want to install Win 10, I just want to prevent my machines from trying to install it again.

I've done some searching, and the registry fix and removing the one windows update seem like they won't work at this stage (i.e. Win 10 has already been downloaded).

So, what can I do to prevent the Win 10 upgrade from running?

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

:)

Haole Boy, Aug 7, 2015
  2. 123DLHill Win User

Win 10 Upgrade Fail

Nothing resolved. Update history still shows Win 10 as failing to upgrade ( daily ) which is fine with me. I want to PREVENT Windows 10 from upgrading.

123DLHill, Aug 7, 2015
  3. when i tried to upgrade win 10 from 8.1, it shows following message related to RAM

Win 10 upgrade failed. How to prevent it from being tried again? [​IMG]

And I have #GB RAM installed, Please help me, Thank you

Awesh Vishwakarma, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

The upgrade doesn't run by itself, you have to start it.

I think what you are talking about are the errors you see in Windows Update history. Everyone seems to have some of them which happened during the download phase of the upgrade.

Ztruker, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    disable the GWX.exe service/process through task manager
    rename GWX folder in system32 and syswow64
    right click on update through windows update and select hide
    Delete $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS folders if hidden on HDD

Kyhi, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Haole Boy Win User
    Mahalo for the quick reply. So the update downloads automatically??? I did not know this.

Since the download appeared to fail, how do I keep it from downloading again?

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

Haole Boy, Aug 9, 2015
  7. Haole Boy Win User
    Mahalo for the reply. I can do most of what you suggest, but there is no "upgrade to Win 10" listed in windows update for me to hide it.

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

Haole Boy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 upgrade failed. How to prevent it from being tried again? - Similar Threads - upgrade failed prevent

2. Win 10 upgrade failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 upgrade failed: Trying to upgrade from win7 home to win 10 home using the Microsoft usb. Continually fails at 48%working on updates. Reverts to win 7 with "Installation failed 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 in FIRST_BOOT with error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation. I have gone through all the...
  3. Win 10 - KB5003673 fails, again and again and again...

Win 10 - KB5003673 fails, again and again and again...: I get error 0x800f0922 when installing the KB5003673 w10 Pro 2004. This has happened dozens of times and each time I try a different suggested fix.This system was originally running 20H2 when a disk error forced me to do a clean install.The original partition table was:1...
  4. How can I prevent the Windows 10 October Update from being downloaded again?

How can I prevent the Windows 10 October Update from being downloaded again?: The Windows 10 October update did not work on my computer at all. I was able to uninstall it and revert to an earlier version of Windows 10. I currently have updates paused, but it says that after 12/23/2020 updates will resume. How can I prevent the October Windows 10 update...
  5. Upgrade from win 7 to win 10 fails

Upgrade from win 7 to win 10 fails: I have tried upgrading my system from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. I downloaded the upgrade from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 The upgrade gets approximately 90 to 95 percent installed, and errors out. Now every time I get the...
  6. How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS

How to prevent Win 10 1809 from trying to download and initiate an update of the OS: Looking for advice please. I have a laptop currently running Version 1809 OS Build 17763.10390 And, for my purposes it works perfectly. However, the laptop is always telling me I need to update to a newer version of Win 10. I would be glad to except .......... My...
  7. how start again the upgrade to win 10 from point left over???

how start again the upgrade to win 10 from point left over???: Was problem less spce in reserved partition I freed space in reserved partition but after the below >>> pressing install >>> screen go light blue installing... but a small message/alert appear windows 10 can not install // is it because was connected with Teamviewer...
  8. Win 10 upgrade fail again and again and again 0X80070017

Win 10 upgrade fail again and again and again 0X80070017: I have error code 0X80070017. The upgrade assistant said to contact support so here I am - I hope. I did think that Microsoft Support would have a online help, but there was only a series of topics, none with that error code. Can anyone please help. Or if not at least...
  9. How do I prevent the Win 10 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I prevent the Win 10 upgrade?: Hi all, I want to absolutely, positively prevent the Win 10 upgrade on my Win 7 machine. I have removed the KB3035583 update. And in doing so, I'd guess it removed the /Windows/System32 folder containing GWX.exe, since neither the file nor the folder are there any...
  10. Upgrade win 10 again

Upgrade win 10 again: Hello, Recently made another try to upgrade my system with upgrade assistant, the download was slow but finished, then started the update, suddenly stopped and got this "Something went wrongerror 0x80070652", ran ant troubleshooter but it could not find anything. Previously...