Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; GDay Win 10 users, Well I have successfully installed the Win 10 upgrade on 2 computers but failed on the third. I installed Win 10 from my Win 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ancrofts, Aug 20, 2015.

1. ancrofts Win User

Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key

GDay Win 10 users,

Well I have successfully installed the Win 10 upgrade on 2 computers but failed on the third.

I installed Win 10 from my Win 7 update (upgrade not clean install). During the process it asked for my Win 7 product key which I inputted and
    it was accepted

Once the upgrade was completed the windows settings tells me that the win 7 needs to be activated and to use the product key that was emailed to me ???????????????.

So I have entered in again my Win 7 product key and the response is that it has been blocked.

I have tried the same procedure using the media ISO dvd and still get the same response.

I have not done anything different to the previous 2 successful installation.

Could anyone please help

Thanks in Advanced *Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile

:)

ancrofts, Aug 20, 2015

2. windows 10 activation

I had downloaded media creation tool and used it to upgrade my Win 7. When it asked "product key" for upgrade win 10, the win 7 product key didn't work.

Thus I had to use "custom upgrade", which wiped out my Win 7 drive.

Now I have the issue with "activation key" as Win 10 doesn't like Win 7's product key.

* Reinstall my Win 7 would require lots of time including downloading SP1 + patches.

Btw, it's like I'm using a pirate Win 10.

T. Vinh Nguyen, Aug 20, 2015
  3. Cos_ Win User
    Exactly What/Which Win 7 numbers do I type in for Win 10 clean/custom Install ?

It appears you can not get past the enter product key with the Win 10 ISO DVD, there appears to be no skipping it. I have already used my Win 7 (OEM) key to activate Win 7. It first came back with an error and required telephone activation. There appears
    to be no tel activation option for Win 10 clean install. Nor anyway to use the numbers provided by the phone or the Microsoft assigned product activation ID from my computer properties.

4. HIM
    him Win User

May be you should just wait for a few days. MS servers may be overloaded with so many people upgrading to Win 10.

5. bobkn Win User
    This reads like something from some alternate universe.

I have 3 machines: two 8.1 desktops, one 7 laptop. All 3 had activated copies of Windows.

The desktops were upgraded from a mounted ISO. For the laptop, I had a bootable USB key drive. (I didn't boot from it, just ran the upgrade from Win 7 on the laptop.)

In no case during an upgrade install was I asked for a license key. I believe that if I had been, a key from an earlier version of Windows would not have worked.

On my main desktop machine, I then did a clean install of Win 10. I booted from the USB key, and deleted all of the partitions on my boot drive. I was asked for a Win 10 key, but just pressed the little "skip" button. Win 10 installed properly, and activated online more or less immediately. (As advertised.)

You account doesn't fit what I know about the Win 10 upgrade. (I admit that's not much. My experience is limited to the 3 PCs I own.) At least one of us has a mistaken idea about how it operates.

bobkn, Aug 20, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sounds to me like you are trying to use the same windows 7 key on different computers to obtain multiple windows 10 upgrades which violates the EULA and Microsoft has blocked future online activations of that Windows 7 product key.

There isn't much in the OP that sounds like the Windows 7 is legitimate.

NavyLCDR, Aug 20, 2015
  7. Bazz Win User
    This ^^^^^^^ nor me.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Proper upgrades to Win 10 should not ask for product keys during the upgrade. If it does, something is not right and there will undoubtedly be activation problems.

NavyLCDR, Aug 20, 2015
  9. Joergi Win User
    Yeah.

However, there in fact are Windows 7 versions called "Family Pack". The according licences allow you to use that Windows version on up to three different PCs at the same time. Microsoft however claimed that upgrading all three PCs should be possible.

Joergi, Aug 20, 2015
  10. Contra Win User
    I thought 3 was possible as well but it is possible they are just to overloaded at this time

Contra, Aug 20, 2015
  11. Bazz Win User
    I don't see where the OP mentions a family pack.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, I have a family pack Windows 7 which includes a license for 3 computers with only 1 product key. Yes, it does upgrade to Windows 10 just fine.

I have yet for Windows 10 to ask me for a Windows 7 product key and I have not heard of anyone else having Windows 10 ask for a Windows 7 product key. And I have never, since Windows 3.1, had any Windows ask specifically for a product key that was emailed to me and I have installed very version since Windows 3.1 many, many, many times. And that is why it seems as if something is not legitimate about this.

NavyLCDR, Aug 21, 2015
  13. rk2020 Win User

it never asked me any serial key while installing windows 10

rk2020, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key - Similar Threads - upgrade active requires

2. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Hello.Few days ago i make upgrade to Windows 10 on my computer with Windows 7 PRO licence. I know that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 is not free any more. If i check Activation status it is Activeted with digital licence. Is this legal?...
  3. Activate Win 10 Pro with Win 7 Pro product key - error 0x80072EFD

Activate Win 10 Pro with Win 7 Pro product key - error 0x80072EFD: Hi there, can one not use the Windows 7 product key to activate a Win 10 version? My Win 7 version on my old Dell laptop says Pro OA MEA and was shipped with the laptop back then. Am now trying to activate Windows 10 both Pro on a completely new system Can I for some...
  4. Win 10 Activation with win 7 Key, is this legal?

Win 10 Activation with win 7 Key, is this legal?: Hi, I want to ask, I just bought a computer, and to my surprise, it turns out that the Windows I use uses an illegal license, and I have an OEM Windows 7 license and I know if Windows 10 can be activated using the Windows 10 key, which I want to ask , is it legal if I use the...
  5. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: If I upgrade my operating system to Win 10 , must I redownload and reinstall all the games that I have on my PC ( around 12 Terabytes ) ? or there is a workaround to avoid that ( so that I can play them in Win 10 without the hassle ) ? Most of the games are on ( steam ,...
  6. Win 7 Pro product key unable to activate Win 10 Pro

Win 7 Pro product key unable to activate Win 10 Pro: First, a little backstory. I previously bought a Windows 7 Pro key from a third party seller so that I could upgrade from Win 7 home to pro, and also wipe all the bloatware off a Dell Inspiron laptop. That laptop has since died hardware failure of some kind. I recently built...
  7. Win 10 activation - no product key

Win 10 activation - no product key: Trying to activate win10 after M'board change but it won't work as it cannot find product key; I took the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 so don't have a key - how can I Activate Windows? Thanks!...
  8. Activation problem after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation problem after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: When I check activation it shows "Unable to reach Windows activation servers". I have wireless connection thru router, in fact I logged into this forum and entered this post on laptop with the problem (#1 system info in profile). Any ideas? 141839
  9. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10: I started the upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to 10. I entered the product key, but get the message "Product Key didn't work". I have repeated this several times - I have the original disk & label, checked the key is correct via Belarc Advisor, have a message from Microsoft...
  10. Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?

Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?: Hello All: I just did the free upgrade from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home. I was quite surprised to see that MS still offered the free upgrade. MY PC is a CTO which came with Win 7 Home, 6 years ago. The upgrade went smoothly with the exception of a few new drivers for some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgrade from win 7 to win 10 product key