Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade, now access denied to PST

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade, now access denied to PST in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I’ve upgraded over a hundred computers from 7 to 10 recently and last night I did one but I had an interesting problem after. When I went to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by pstoric, Jun 13, 2019.

1. pstoric Win User

Win 10 upgrade, now access denied to PST

I’ve upgraded over a hundred computers from 7 to 10 recently and last night I did one but I had an interesting problem after. When I went to open Microsoft Outlook, it said that the local user account didn’t have permission to access the PST file which was strange. It’s in the default location “c:\username\documents\outlook files\outlook2.pst” so I checked the permission on her documents folder, the outlook files folder and the PST itself and her user account has full access on all of them.

I can, however, search for Outlook in the start menu, right click and run as admin and it will open fine. It’s just the shortcut pinned to the taskbar that gives the access denied error. I made sure the user has full permissions to outlook.exe but that didn’t seem to help either. Also ran a scanpst.exe and repair but no luck.

Win 10 upgrade, now access denied to PST d1048ae4-eefe-4afc-8821-7e4c7ce3ac37?upload=true.png

:)

pstoric, Jun 13, 2019

2. "Access denied" on folders after upgrade to Windows 10

I recently upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1. I am the only user on the computer and I am an administrator. I am getting an "access denied" error when I try to view several folders. Although there are only a couple I wanted to view, I checked them all to determine
    how extensive the problem was. Access is denied to the following folders:

USER\APP DATA\LOCAL\APPLICATION DATA

USER\APP DATA\LOCAL\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES

USER\APPLICATION DATA

USER\LOCAL SETTINGS

USER\MY DOCUMENTS

USER\NETHOOD

USER\PRINTHOOD

USER\SENDTO

USER\START MENU

USER\TEMPLATES

WINDOWS8_OS\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS

WINDOWS8_OS\PERFLOGS

WINDOWS8_OS\\RECOVERY

WINDOWS8_OS\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION

When I check COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS\USERS, I find that I'm listed as an administrator with permissions. When I right click on any of these folders, and go to Properties, I'm listed as having full control of the folder. Out of curiosity,
    I tried denying permission to view the folder, and I got the dreaded "access denied" message again. I've tried various suggestions found in this forum to no avail. (I'm an Administrator on windows 8 but still get Access Denied. How do I get full access?
    Windows 8: Take Ownership Of Files & Change Folder Permissions )

I'm almost certain that the solution to this problem does not ln modifying anything via the context menu for each folder because every variation on making changes there has resulted in this error message:

Error Applying Security

An error occurred while applying security information to:

C:\Users\Username\Cookies

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

I'm exasperated. Any good suggestions?

Shirley Ujest, Jun 13, 2019
  3. EsMj Win User
    Change Folder Destination access Denied

Thanks.

After following the steps suggested, I get the message "Access denied" in command prompt.

Please advise how to allow permission.

4. Jose Est Win User

Destination Folder Access Denied

Hi,

There are times that you may run into the issue of being unable to open or access or work with files and folder. The common message that flashes on your computer screen when you try doing so reads: "Access Denied."

This can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• The folder ownership may have changed.
    • You do not have the proper permissions.
    • The file may be encrypted.
    • The file may be in use.
    • The file may be corrupt.
    • The user profile may be corrupt.
    To resolve this issue, the first step is to run CHKDSK. It detects and fix disk corruption. To run CHKDSK, follow these steps:

• Press Win+X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the window that opens enter your CHKDSK command.
    Get back to us to if you need further assistance.

Jose Est, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 upgrade, now access denied to PST - Similar Threads - upgrade access denied

2. Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied, win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied, win 10: Hello, i have windows 10 and I dont know what happened but when i turned it on today few wierd things happened.1. my desktop is black and i have only recycle bin icon on it2. My keyboard language has been switched3. When i go into file explorer > this computer > desktop It...
  3. Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied, win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied, win 10: Hello, i have windows 10 and I dont know what happened but when i turned it on today few wierd things happened.1. my desktop is black and i have only recycle bin icon on it2. My keyboard language has been switched3. When i go into file explorer > this computer > desktop It...
  4. Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied, win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External disk Access denied - Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External disk Access denied - Win 10: Greetings fellow frustrated PC owners & operatorsAttempting to recover the data from a notebook that stopped booting “Preparing automatic repair…” message on startup. Replaced the disk and installed Windows and Apps from scratch. Connected the old disk in a USB housing to...
  6. External disk Access denied - Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External disk Access denied - Win 10: Greetings fellow frustrated PC owners & operatorsAttempting to recover the data from a notebook that stopped booting “Preparing automatic repair…” message on startup. Replaced the disk and installed Windows and Apps from scratch. Connected the old disk in a USB housing to...
  7. External disk Access denied - Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Win 10 partition access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 partition access denied: So I added another SSD to my PC the other day booted up and all ok and I even started to install some games on it all ok. But all of a sudden my Local Drive D can't be accessed saying that Access is Denied and I don't have permission, I tried to navigate to sub folders in it...
  9. Win 10x64 WU access denied problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10x64 WU access denied problem: Hello, I got WU error and can't change the group policy either, got access denied, regarding WU. How to proceed? Screenshot of WU error. I don't have any organization, it's a home PC. I installed a cheap game and it shut down my WU somehow in registry. My own mistake and...
  10. Access denied when copying pictures in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied when copying pictures in Win 10?: Hi, I have just upgraded to Win 10 but now when I try to save pictures from my Nokia it says access denied, even the Nokia suite does not sync? I tried to use snipping tool to capture the dialogue box but I can not save that either, tho I have copied it below. I have...