Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade now refuses to boot.

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade now refuses to boot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Win 7 HTPC with a ASUS F1A75 M-PRO mobo and a AMD cpu which I just upgraded to Win 10. Launched the process from Windows update applet, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BacHolz, Aug 16, 2015.

1. BacHolz Win User

Win 10 upgrade now refuses to boot.

I have a Win 7 HTPC with a ASUS F1A75 M-PRO mobo and a AMD cpu which I just upgraded to Win 10.

Launched the process from Windows update applet, not the taskbar icon. All went well and the process completed without difficulty.

Set up my libraries and joined my homegroup. I was having trouble with the taskbar not reappearing from auto-hide and the mouse cursor “getting lost” or seeming to go off screen. One notice that I received was that AMD Catalyst Center needed attention. Was introduced to a number of options I was unfamiliar with so I made no changes there. Before I could navigate to update this app/driver, the screen went black and has since refused to boot.

Power on and I cannot bring up a screen with any recovery/restore options using F2, F8, F10 or delete. Win 10 upgrade on USB or DVD will not launch nor will a Win 7 rescue disc.

How do I recover from this? I was intrigued by Win 10 but I now regret the attempted changes. I like to resolve technical challenges but this leaves me not knowing where to start. Win 7 or 10 – I just want my media player back. Any suggestions are most welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

BacHolz, Aug 16, 2015

2. Win 10 upgrade now refuses to boot.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

This might have occurred due to some third party application conflicts.

Try the methods.

Method 1: Start computer in safe mode and then perform clean boot.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode

a. When you hit the power button in Windows 8.1 (through Charms Bar), hold down the
    Shift key when clicking the Restart button.

b. The next screen will present you with three options. Click
    Troubleshoot.

c. Next, hit Advanced options followed by Windows Startup Settings from the next screen.

d. Your PC will now be rebooted to enable the advanced parameters, which include Safe Mode as well. Once it restarts, you’ll get nine options whereby the following commands apply:

F4 for Safe Mode

F5 for Safe Mode with Networking

F6 for Safe Mode with Command Prompt

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Windows Startup Settings (including
    safe mode)

Step 2: Perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Method 2:

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows. To run the SFC scan,
    refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 3:

I would suggest you to temporarily disable the antivirus security software program installed on your computer and check if that helps.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software
    and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Aug 16, 2015
  3. BarChar Win User

I have a Win 7 HTPC with a ASUS F1A75 M-PRO mobo and a AMD cpu which I just upgraded to Win 10.

Launched the process from Windows update aplet, not the taskbar icon. All went well and the process completed without difficulty.

Set up my libraries and joined my homegroup. I was having trouble with the taskbar not reappearing from auto-hide and the mouse cursor “getting lost” or seeming to go off screen. One notice that I received was that AMD Catalyst Center needed attention. Was
    introduced to a number of options I was unfamiliar with so I made no changes there. Before I could navigate to update this, the screen went black and has since refused to boot.

Power on and I cannot bring up a screen with any recovery/restore options using F2, F8, F10 or delete. Win 10 upgrade on USB or DVD will not launch nor will a Win 7 rescue disc.

How do I recover from this? I was intrigued by Win 10 but I now regret the attempted changes. I like to resolve technical challenges but this leaves me not knowing where to start. Win 7 or 10 – I just want my media player back. Any suggestions
    are most welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BarChar, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 10 upgrade now refuses to boot. - Similar Threads - upgrade refuses boot

2. Laptop blue screened and now refuses to boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop blue screened and now refuses to boot.: I apologize in advanced for the lengthy post and I understand that not everything in the post is strictly Microsoft related. However, I would like to include as much detail as possible to maximize the chances of fixing my laptop. The laptop in question is a Lenovo Yoga...
  3. Windows 10 PC refuses to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 PC refuses to boot: My pc refuses to boot up properly after what I assume was an automatic windows update. My monitor is not receiving an input from the main pc and no, it's not a source issue or a monitor issue nor a cable issue nor will be keyboard and mouse properly function. They receive...
  4. Win 10 upgrade, now access denied to PST

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 upgrade, now access denied to PST: I’ve upgraded over a hundred computers from 7 to 10 recently and last night I did one but I had an interesting problem after. When I went to open Microsoft Outlook, it said that the local user account didn’t have permission to access the PST file which was strange. It’s in...
  5. Purchased win 10 pro upgrade, now not activated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Purchased win 10 pro upgrade, now not activated: I purchased a new HP laptop 4 days ago with win 10 home. Yesterday I purchased win 10 pro upgrade from win store. when i rebooted today system says not activated. Troubleshooter error is 0x803F7001. Trouble shooter can't fix, please help. Michael...
  6. Win 10 v1803 Update - refused to restart, now says not reqd??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 v1803 Update - refused to restart, now says not reqd??: Hi all. Windows offered the 1803 feature update late last night, I unknowingly let it run without disconnecting a USB stick and external hard drive, and ran into reboot problems. The sequence of events is set out below. I'm unsure of what has happened, and of what (if...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade now won't boot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade now won't boot: I had the Windows 8.1 on my Acer Aspire V5. I upgraded to Windows 10 which seemed to go fine, but then when it went off it will not go back on to the Windows screen. I keep seeing people tell others to go here and there to fix it, but I can't even get there to do that. The...
  8. Win 10 upgrade now monitor will not sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 upgrade now monitor will not sleep: Yesterday Win 10 upgrade occurred and now the monitor will not go into sleep mode. Any suggestions 72611
  9. Refusal to boot

Refusal to boot: I first tried to install Windows 10 to a new ssd in a system with a hard drive that already has windows 8.1 on it. After the install it booted to the flash drive that had the install on it again. I removed that and it failed to boot. I cannot select the ssd in the boot device...
  10. Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine

Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine: I have a Dell XPS 9100 machine that is triple boot, Win 7 SP1 Drive on C (this is the OEM OS), and Win 8 (not 8.1) on Drive I, and Win XP SP3 on Drive D. I would like to do a upgrade of the Win 7 SP1 Ultimate drive C to win 10 pro th2-10586. Can someone suggest how I might...