Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS 9100 machine that is triple boot, Win 7 SP1 Drive on C (this is the OEM OS), and Win 8 (not 8.1) on Drive I, and Win XP SP3 on Drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by almondman, Nov 13, 2015.

1. almondman Win User

Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine

I have a Dell XPS 9100 machine that is triple boot, Win 7 SP1 Drive on C (this is the OEM OS), and Win 8 (not 8.1) on Drive I, and Win XP SP3 on Drive D.
    I would like to do a upgrade of the Win 7 SP1 Ultimate drive C to win 10 pro th2-10586. Can someone suggest how I might do this and keep my triple boot intact?
    I have been an insider since the program started and have run win 10 pro on several VM's on my win 8 OS. I also have Two Retail win 10 pro USB drives (10240) that I'm sitting on.
    Would it be better to upgrade the OEM OS or do the upgrade from one of the retail USB drives and then let it update to th2-10586?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

almondman, Nov 13, 2015

2. Dual / Tripple Boot Win 7sp1, Win 8.1, Win 10

I am currently running a Desktop with a dual boot of Win 7sp1 and Win 8.1 (student discount).

I want to do a Clean install of Windows 10 on a third partition.

It appears that, from reading many of these posts, I will need a Windows 10 Product Key.

How / where do I obtain / purchase a key?

Here is why I now multiple boot as a matter of Standard Operating Procedure:

Recently I encountered a website that put Ransom Ware on the 8.1 Partition. After rebooting to the Win 7 partition, updating ALL of the Anti Virus and Anti Malware applications and running a complete System Scan / Clean on the entire system,
    ALL hard drives, I rebooted to Windows 8.1 and all was well again!

Norm Ives

Norman Ives, Nov 13, 2015
  3. Dual / Tripple Boot Win 7sp1, Win 8.1, Win 10

Win 10 MUST first be installed as an upgrade (the free version) after it has been activated you can then do a clean install unless you want to buy a win 10 key.

When done as an upgrade you will not need a key.

Win 10 handles keys VERY differently. We all get a generic key and the important bit (called the activation ID) is kept on the MS activation servers.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 13, 2015
  4. Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine

Hi
    Just last sunday i upgrade my tripple boot Win7->Win10,Winxp,OSX86
    I think you better upgrade win8 instead win7. honest...
    save the activation token and key later windows7 if you like to clean install again with advanced token manager by josh cell 3.5rc5.

I was tried using direct upgrade but "something happen", do this first perhaps you are lucky. and you dont need to use all the below.

I suggest you use usb upgrade Clean install using gatherostate. Look on tutorial index.
    the genuineticket is used later after win10 installed.
    If you use mbr try boot with mbr usb, not uefi, unless you are using gpt with uefi on.
    Before upgrade/clean install, and you should know which one with partition active now using pwhe.
    I booted usb win10 installer, choose the partition where i want to install, by format it first in win10 installation.
    after install, you can use bcdedit or easybcd for configuration multiboot.
    I suggest to pick the drive boot manually on easybcd for configuring the booting.
    done.

realbabilu, Nov 16, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    You can download the last version ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench and use it to upgrade 7 to 10. It should not affect your other OSes. In worst case you will have to use EasyBCD to add the relevant boot entries again or reinstall Grub.

English language warning: The language descriptions on Tech Bench are rather confusing. "English" is English US while "English International" is English GB and cannot be used to upgrade Windows 7 or 8 with the English US language.

spapakons, Nov 16, 2015
  6. almondman Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions.

almondman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine

1. Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine - Similar Threads - upgrade Tripple Boot

2. Interesting BSOD Sequence on Upgraded Machine win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Interesting BSOD Sequence on Upgraded Machine win 7 to win 10: I'm looking for some assistance/recommendations for troubleshooting various BSOD errors I have encountered on my older win7 computer which was upgraded to windows 10 last year. I had a variety of BSOD issues over ~5 months IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, Memory_Managment,...
  3. Wipe a dual boot machine and reinstall Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wipe a dual boot machine and reinstall Win 10?: I have an old machine that started out on Win 7. I updated/upgraded over the years and it now has two SSDs one with Win 7, the other with Win 10. I created the dual boot a long time ago from the Win 7 drive. I'm worried wiping will negate my Win 10 lisence since it was an...
  4. Upgrade to Win 10 from dual boot win 7 / win xp

Upgrade to Win 10 from dual boot win 7 / win xp: I upgraded from win xp to a dual boot win xp / win 7 by using a win 7 upgrade disk. win 7 is now stable so I don't need win xp any longer and don't need a dual boot system. win 7 is on sata drive c with data also on that sata drive as drive d. win xp is on an old ide drive...
  5. Win 10 for refurbished machines

Win 10 for refurbished machines: I just purchased a refurbished win 10 machine with an OEM win10 Home for refurbished machines. I activated it and it runs well. My questions are as follows. 1. Can I upgrade the old 500GB HD to an SSD? 2. How do I go about installing the SSD and transfering over the OS?...
  6. Win 10 upgrade now refuses to boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade now refuses to boot.: I have a Win 7 HTPC with a ASUS F1A75 M-PRO mobo and a AMD cpu which I just upgraded to Win 10. Launched the process from Windows update applet, not the taskbar icon. All went well and the process completed without difficulty. Set up my libraries and joined my...
  7. Activate Win 10x64 on same machine as Win 10 x32 as dual boot

Activate Win 10x64 on same machine as Win 10 x32 as dual boot: HI, I have Win 10 x 32 activated for a while and now have Win 10 x 64 on another drive in the same both as a dual boot. The new 64 install has just asked me to Activate it. I need access to the original x 32 version as it has my programs, shortcuts on it so I know...
  8. How does it go with upgrading Win 10 machine motherboards?

How does it go with upgrading Win 10 machine motherboards?: OK I have a question. I have a bunch of Win10 machines, six of them at the mo... Now what I want to do is put a new motherboard/CPU in my best machine, but I'll keep the harddrives and everything intact. I'll probably transfer C: to a new drive and re-arrange what's on...
  9. Upgrade to Win10 on a dual-boot machine

Upgrade to Win10 on a dual-boot machine: For some work that I am still doing after retirement I need a dual boot machine consequently my Windows 7 Ultimate lives alongside Ubuntu 12.04 with a shared data partition. Does anyone know if it will be safe to upgrade to Windows 10 without wiping Linux? I am still using...
  10. Tripple booting is this possible?

Tripple booting is this possible?: Tripple booting is this possible? Separate partitions no GPT partitions. I know how to do partitions Windows 7 32 bit Windows 10 Technical preview 32 bit Lubuntu 64 bit without UEFI (I deleted the UEFI install folder) Linux Swap partition 2709