Windows 10: Win 10 USB install Fails, Linux has no problem

Discus and support Win 10 USB install Fails, Linux has no problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This one is driving me bonkers. With a USB drive, Win 20 blue screens with a Critical error 0xc000021a as it's loading the files from the USB and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bytebait, May 4, 2021.

1. Bytebait Win User

Win 10 USB install Fails, Linux has no problem

This one is driving me bonkers. With a USB drive, Win 20 blue screens with a Critical error 0xc000021a as it's loading the files from the USB and before it displays the Windows logo. Ubuntu and ClearLinux installed without a hitch. I have tried the following Changed Memory (with other new sticks)Changed M2 drives and tried a new SATA drive on its ownTried three different Win 10 ISO builds on two different USB drivesTried a Win 8 ISO build to see if that would workUsed Rufus with with legacy and secure boot options Tried the Microsoft Media Creation Tool for good measure BIOS shows everything working fine, but updated BIOS just in case. Removed CMOS battery for factory default, because I'm running out of options Installed a mounted/bootable drive in Linux to boot to... same crash issue Lit candles and made a pentagram with salt in middle of my office and cried. That only made a mess. New machine. Nothing that shouldn't be on the HCL AMD Ryzen 3960 (mounted fine, mobo and linux OS see all of it) 32GB ram Gigbyte TRX40 Aorus Master Mobo NVidia Quadro video card M2 and SATA drive

:)

Bytebait, May 4, 2021
  2. Bytebait Win User

This one is driving me bonkers.

With a USB drive, Win 20 blue screens with a Critical error 0xc000021a as it's loading the files from the USB and before it displays the Windows logo.

Ubuntu and ClearLinux installed without a hitch.

I have tried the following
    • Changed Memory (with other new sticks)
    • Changed M2 drives and tried a new SATA drive on its own
    • Tried three different Win 10 ISO builds on two different USB drives
    • Tried a Win 8 ISO build to see if that would work
    • Used Rufus with with legacy and secure boot options
    • Tried the Microsoft Media Creation Tool for good measure
    • BIOS shows everything working fine, but updated BIOS just in case.
    • Removed CMOS battery for factory default, because I'm running out of options
    • Installed a mounted/bootable drive in Linux to boot to... same crash issue
    • Lit candles and made a pentagram with salt in middle of my office and cried. That only made a mess.

New machine. Nothing that shouldn't be on the HCL

AMD Ryzen 3960 (mounted fine, mobo and linux OS see all of it)
    32GB ram
    Gigbyte TRX40 Aorus Master Mobo
    NVidia Quadro video card
    M2 and SATA drive

Bytebait, May 5, 2021
  3. Bytebait Win User

Win 10 USB install Fails, Linux has no problem [​IMG]

I have added the Batch file again but removed the cls lines so you can see how it takes the E: and prints it out after quitting disk part as E:\ . But right after that Tries to use D:\ anyhow.

I also removed the drive letters of the A-E on both partitions so it wouldn't grab something already in use.
    Thumb Drive looks like it's being built. Your script is working =)
    - - - Updated - - -

Bytebait, May 5, 2021
  4. Megahertz Win User

To make a win 10 USB drive boot able

Open a CMD window as administrator and type:
    diskpart
    list disk (it will list all drives. Identify the USB drive number)
    select disk n (replace n by the USB drive number obtained with list disk)
    clean
    convert mbr
    create part primary
    select part 1
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    active
    exit (to exit diskpart)

Mount the Win10 installation iso file and copy all files and folders to root of the USB drive

Installation
    Reset BIOS or load defaults.
    Set Disk mode to AHCI, not RAID
    Disable fast boot and secure boot (you can turn it on after installation)

Windows can be installed in two ways: Legacy-MBR or UEFI-GPT
    To install as Legacy-MBR you must boot the installation drive as Legacy
    To install as UEFI-GPT you must boot the installation drive as UEFI.

As you have a new MB, you should install as UEFI-GPT (if you have already installed Linux on the drive you must install the same type (Legacy-MBR or UEFI-GPT).

Detach any other drives (SATA or Power cable) from the MB.
    On BIOS, disable fast boot and secure boot (you can enable after installation)

During POST, press F12 to launch the boot menu. You will see two options for the USB drive. USB UEFI (Name) and USB (Name). Select USB UEFI (Name).
    Go to install and select the unallocated space on the SSD and then proceed.
    If you don't want to use MS account, don't enable updates or connect to the internet during installation.

Megahertz, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Win 10 USB install Fails, Linux has no problem - Similar Threads - USB install Fails

2. Update from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 pro - failed Windows 10 installation has failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 pro - failed Windows 10 installation has failed: Hello, I have problem with update operating system windows 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro on my laptop Asus G750JH. I used MediaCreationTool21H2.exe to update. I chose the option to upgrade windows. Installer downloaded the instalation media and updates and started installing. When...
  3. Update from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 pro - failed Windows 10 installation has failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 pro - failed Windows 10 installation has failed: Hello, I have problem with update operating system windows 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro on my laptop Asus G750JH. I used MediaCreationTool21H2.exe to update. I chose the option to upgrade windows. Installer downloaded the instalation media and updates and started installing. When...
  4. Update from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 pro - failed Windows 10 installation has failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. win 10 failed to install

win 10 failed to install: win 10 install "failed in the safe__os phase with an error during boot operation"0x1900101 - 0x20017Boy do I need help - it took me 6 days to get this far and I thought I had it made when it came to the install step BUT . . .I see that others have had an identical problem but...
  6. linux to win 10

linux to win 10: I have a lenovo T400 running on fedora o/s. I want to install win 10 which i have on a usb. My computer boots from the usb and i get from setup through to 'gathering files, updates and finishing up" then it starts all over again with setup. To me this means windows has not...
  7. Win 10 install failed

Win 10 install failed: How to solve this error message when installing Win 10...thank you.... "windows setup cannot start due to missing installation files. If you previously launched setup from a local directory, copy all the installation files to the directory again and relaunch setup"...
  8. Win 10 USB install fails to load drivers

Win 10 USB install fails to load drivers: Hi everyone, Long time Mac user switching back to PC here. I'm stuck installing Windows at the very beginning, before choosing any drive to install to. I've made a USB bootable installer, which loads, and takes me to a "windows needs to load drivers" message right after...
  9. Win 10 USB Install Failing

Win 10 USB Install Failing: Before I start, I just want to say that I've looked everywhere that I could to find the answer, but I can't find anything. Hi! My name is Noah, and I upgraded to Windows 10 earlier this year. I haven't been using my computer basically at all over the summer, and when I...
  10. Failed Win 10 Installation

Failed Win 10 Installation: . I have 5 PC/Laptops with W7- W8.1 (2 to 7 years old) and I was able to upgrade with no problems to WIN 10. I have 2 identical New PC (2 months old with Win 8.1 Pro) : Pentium G3258 MB ASROCK H97M-ITX/AC H97 ITX R RAM: 8GB G Skill WD 1000GB Installed first Win8...