Windows 10: Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Discus and support Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by .shrine, Jun 13, 2019.

1. .shrine Win User

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive.

For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual drive as option 2. Can I also have the 3rd option of linux as a VHDX?

:)

.shrine, Jun 13, 2019

2. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Hey all,

I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted.

Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues.

Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer builds for vhd's I wanted to attach the .vhdx to a virtual machine in Hyper-V (on my main install obviously) and then perform the upgrade process.

Tried creating a gen 2 machine, attached the .vhdx, didn't boot. Tried attaching an .iso of the Win10 install also, still didn't boot.

Created a gen 1 machine, with both .vhdx and .iso attached, it booted from the .iso but said no disk drive was detected/installed.

I tried using the repair computer option, setup couldn't repair it, so loaded up command prompt used diskpart, it picked up the drive, marked the current partition active, and tried to manually enter the following commands:

bootrec /fixmbr (successful)
    bootrec /fixboot (fail) said something like access denied
    bootrec /rebuildbcd (success)

Restarted the VM in Hyper-V still not booting from the attached .vhdx nor did the install from .iso detect the drive either.

Any suggestions as to how I can boot from the vhdx and upgrade the windows installation to build 17760 and then reuse the same .vhdx to boot natively?

Regards

Seymour Bhutz, Jun 13, 2019
  3. An App (VMRC 9) Installation error on windows 10 machines with a VHDX native boot

Hi, everyone.

I have some problem when installing VMRC 9. I looked up other threads from VMware Community and did everything with no luck. Mine might have different issue which seems to be related to Windows 10 itself rather
    than the app.

Whenever I tried to install VMRC 9 on my Windows 10 machines with native VHD boot setting, I faced the same error msg as follows;

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well? Capture.png

It is quite weird. I have never encountered this kind of problem when installing any applications. I have been a big fan of Windows VHD native boot feature for several years..

As I experienced a success with one with Windows 10 1 Year Update Home VHDX installed by chance, I decided to pay the price of a clean installation, but ended up with a failure again.

Here is what I have tried on 4 different devices.

Windows 10 Pro
    VHDX
    Failed

Windows 10 1 Year Update Pro
    VHDX
    Failed

Windows 10 1 Year Update Home
    VHDX
    Succeeded

Windows 10 1 Year Update Home
    Native
    Succeeded

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

SeunghanCho, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Thanks for the suggestion.

I created a new machine in hyper-v, tried to install the latest insider builds but it wouldn't boot from them either. Only 17134.1 iso worked. So I installed that instead to get the correct vhdx configuration. However it took 1hr20mins!

Tried imaging using macrium, at this point I was fed up with waiting and the time element. Thought there must be an easier way.

Checked the structure of 17134.1 vhdx created in hyper-v, it contained EFI, Windows and Recovery partitions.

Remembered you stating something about my previous vhdx not having correct boot files.
    (17760 only contained windows partition, no EFI, MSR or Recovery)

So created a new vhdx (A1) within disk manager, used diskpart following instructions on MSoft website as guidance and adapted to my configuration. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ive-partitions

Deployed .wim to the windows (WWin 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well? :) partition (A1) and applied bcdboot (from A1) to the EFI (SWin 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well? :) partition on the vhdx (A1). Attached this vhdx (A1) to vm in hyper-v and booted successfully *Biggrin (Tip, rename the EFI to something like "SystemVHD or SysVHD" to avoid confusion)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-the-boot-menu

However, I had an existing vhdx (A2) with build 17760 deployed using dism and installed apps that I wanted to keep then boot in hyper-v to perform the upgrade to 17763. Obviously couldn't create EFI partition since there was one main partition starting from the beginning of the vhdx (A2).

So I created a new vhdx (A3), 1gb (disk management complains about minimum size for gpt drive), gpt, made EFI and MSR partitions, and while the build 17760 vhdx (A2) was mounted in explorer I used bcdboot (from 17760 vhdx (A2)) to write boot files to this recent EFI (SWin 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well? :)(A3).

Ejected both drives, mounted the EFI vhdx (A3) as SCSI (0) and the 17760 vhdx (A2) as SCSI (1), made sure boot order was EFI (A3) first, 17760 (A2) second in the firmware section of vm properties and managed to boot successfully *Biggrin

Insider upgrade using win update and also from attached iso both initiated and proceeded to install without error.

Due to the slowness of VM I decided its much quicker to deploy wim to vhdx with each new build and go through setup process than inplace upgrade. Tried a few tweaks in VM to allocate more cores and RAM made a noticeable difference but performance still far below VHD native boot not to mention that I have had enough of hyper-v and VMs.

Thanks again.

Seymour Bhutz, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

1. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well? - Similar Threads - VHDX native boot

2. Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile: Right now I'm booting off of a VHDX file natively. Works great, except no matter what I do, Windows won't create or use a page file! I did some research, and unlike when the VHDX is booted in Hyper-V, native VHDX boot won't put hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and swapfile.sys on...
  3. Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile: Right now I'm booting off of a VHDX file natively. Works great, except no matter what I do, Windows won't create or use a page file! I did some research, and unlike when the VHDX is booted in Hyper-V, native VHDX boot won't put hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and swapfile.sys on...
  4. Native booting vhdx file not working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Native booting vhdx file not working: I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected.... Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown: [img] I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and...
  5. DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.: hello everyone, I need to try cortana reminders on the 2004 version. I have vmware but I would like to try to install on my hardware if possible with a dual boot. I would like to use native boot on vhdx file. I have seen tutorials and I have partially prepared a dos...
  6. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  7. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  8. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  9. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  10. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...