Windows 10: Win 10 .WIM ISO copy

Discus and support Win 10 .WIM ISO copy in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I was using Win 10 x 64 as .ESD but was advised to use .WIM. I burned a DVD from the .WIM file at Tech Bench. I then made a copy, however, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maranna, Dec 10, 2015.

1. maranna Win User

Win 10 .WIM ISO copy

Hello
    I was using Win 10 x 64 as .ESD but was advised to use .WIM.
    I burned a DVD from the .WIM file at Tech Bench.
    I then made a copy, however, the when you open the copy there is a folder called temporary burn folder. When you open it, it says what the original says.

I have 3 questions;
    1- will this 'copy' install and repair, or should I burn another DVD?
    2- will the motherboard recognize this original .WIM ,with no keywords, as I did the upgrade then burned DVDs with other .ESD discs?
    3- please suggest how a low level user can burn a copy of another DVD, .WIM disc? I used Windows before.
    The attachments clarify what I am trying to say.

:)

maranna, Dec 10, 2015
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 10, 2015
  3. KB.Lee Win User
    Dreadful Windows Boot Manager message

Based on Internet search "opencl.dll" being corrupt is common on Windows 10, even on non-Microsoft hardware. sfc on my SP4 returned this error too. There were numerous suggestions out there on how to fix this error. This one works for me. Proceed at own
    risk.

Step 1: Download a copy of Windows 10 ISO image from

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
    . Pick the version that matches your current installation.

Step 2: Double-click the downloaded .ISO file. Windows will mount the .ISO file onto your D: drive. (Depending on your system, Windows may mount this on drive letter other than D:. Check File
    Explorer to be sure.).

Step 3: Open a Command Window with Administrator privilege. Create a mount point.

mkdir C:\WIM

Step 4: Mount the WIM - assuming .ISO is mounted at D:

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFileWin 10 .WIM  ISO copy :D:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\WIM /ReadOnly

Step 5: Run Dism with following parameters.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\WIM\Windows /LimitAccess

Step 6: When done, unmount the image and delete the folder.

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\WIM /Discard

rmdir C:\WIM

Step 7: Restart PC.

Corrupt opencl.dll may not be the trigger to the Windows Boot Manager error I reported in this thread. But fixing corrupt system file is a good thing nonetheless.

KB.Lee, Dec 10, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Win 10 .WIM ISO copy

It looks to me like you just copied over the downloaded ISO file to DVD. That's not what you want to do. You want to make a DVD using the ISO file as the image. I don't have my Windows 10 computer in front of me right now, so I don't know if a right click on the ISO file and a menu option to make a DVD from the image is built in to Windows 10. I do know you can use IMGBURN to do it.
    The Official ImgBurn Website

If you right click on the ISO file and select Mount - you will see the directory structure of the image that is contained within the ISO. When you burn a DVD from the ISO image (instead of just copying the ISO file itself over), you should get the same directory structure on the DVD. But to have the DVD bootable, you can't just copy files over - you have to use a process like IMGBURN to create the DVD from the image file.

More info here:
    dvd - Built-in disc burning software in Windows 10 - Super User

NavyLCDR, Dec 10, 2015
  5. EdTittel Win User
    I agree with NavyLCDR but also observe that the free Rufus tool also builds a bootable USB flash drive for installation of Win10, and that you can also use Microsoft's own Media Creation Tool to do likewise.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 10, 2015
  6. AndreyT Win User
    The question is specifically about creating a WIM-based installation media. Media Creation Tool will create a ESD-based media. Unless you are referring to some sort of trick with MCT, this is not what the OP needs.

AndreyT, Dec 10, 2015
  7. maranna Win User
    Thank you all.
    AndreyT
    You are right that I want a .WIM file. Would the best way to have a back up disc to go to the same site and do a seond download to burn seeing I am having trouble reproducing this disc? Any comments on ny other queries?
    Peter

maranna, Dec 10, 2015
  8. Kyhi Win User

Win 10 .WIM ISO copy

Download the Techbench ISO

Insert DVD > Right-Click the ISO > burn disk image > verify DVD Burner Drive and select Burn

9. maranna Win User
    KYHI
    Thank you - it worked. Can I install/repair without and keys and clip 'skip' when asked like I did with the other .ESD discs I had?

maranna, Dec 10, 2015
  10. Kyhi Win User
    same way..

An install.esd is a super compressed version of the install.wim..

install.wim and install.esd both contain the same information...

the install.wim is preferred for any Dism Repair commands..

11. maranna Win User
    KYHI
    I am so relieved. I did the upgrade so my motherboard recognizes me but I thought with this new .WIM I would have problem.
    Thank you very much once again.
    Peter

maranna, Dec 10, 2015
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Sorry for the mention of MCT in that it is ESD based, but the Rufus approach works with whatever you give it, including wim-based ISO files. So I get a 50% right, not a complete reject, OK? --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 11, 2015
  13. maranna Win User

Win 10 .WIM ISO copy

Hi Ed
    I have not used Rufus but I think I have deduced from reading in context that it is a way of using a flash drive to create media.
    No apologies ever needed as I have learned so much from all of you. I am 75 and have been quite ill so I am using the PC to keep me going in a positive way. I only began pc-ing a few years ago when things went south physically and this is a great way to feel productive again and to stay involved. My shrinking brain is coming alive. *Wink I learn from the good volunteers like yourself in forums. This is a great forum with extremely knowledgeable people. I am not much for social media but really enjoy learning various computer skills. I have folders into which I place information i have gathered that is either difficult or something one might forget.
    I never learned the spreadsheet and at this point really do not want to so I make use of file and folders.
    In the brief time I have been learning so much has developed; UEFI, USB 3, this new DISM measure etc.
    One really has to stay on their toes.
    Thanks once again for all of your help.
    Peter

maranna, Dec 11, 2015
  14. Word Man Win User
    I would agree with you Ed, for what that's worth. The key difference is that, for most users (including myself), the path of least resistance for successful DISM /source repairs has been (per guidance from Kyhi and others over the last month or so) using the TechBench install.wim as the source rather than the MCT install.esd.

Word Man, Dec 11, 2015
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Dear Peter:
    Your story is a good one, and shows that with some effort and elbow grease (mostly from holding your hands over the keyboard typing like mad) you can learn this stuff no matter how young or old you might be. I myself, at 63, am no "spring chicken," either. But it's fair to observe -- as the inestimable Word Man does in his reply -- that the .wim based TechBench stuff is more amenable to easy sourcing for DISM use, and I would definitely agree with that. Let me observe in that context that I've also had good luck capturing/copying the /WinSXS/ folder hierarchy from a known, good, working Win10 install (i.e. one that gets a clean bill of health from sfc /scannow and from DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth) and using that as a source for DISM when all else fails.

As for Rufus, it's my go-to tool when I have to build a bootable USB flash drive for installation purposes. I keep them around in numbers, one for each version of Windows (right now that means 7, 8, 8.1, and 10) that I have running, either on physical hardware or in a VM. It's a terrific and free tool available at Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way. If you haven't played with it yet, give it a try.

Best wishes, and keep up the good work.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2015
Thema:

Win 10 .WIM ISO copy

1. Win 10 .WIM ISO copy - Similar Threads - WIM ISO copy

2. Win 10 2015 iso

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 2015 iso: Hi Doug K.,I have got win 7 Home Premium with HP PC in 2013 and applied the win 10 upgrade in 2015. Now OS crushed and I restored to Win 7 H P as it was purchased. I did not find the official iso Win 10 2015 edition but active links as Win 10 2022 version 22H2...
  3. Win 10 1909 ISO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 1909 ISO: Hi. Is there a way of getting win 10 1909 ISO from microsoft web? submitted by /u/SonyEvo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lgw80h/win_10_1909_iso/
  4. Win 10 ISO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 ISO: Can anybody point me in the direction where I can get a copy of Win 10 English ISO that isn't directly from Microsoft? Ive been trying to download the stupid ISO from their website for the past 3 days and I get a network time out error every time. Ive tried different...
  5. Win 10 iso

Win 10 iso: will bootable 64 bit and 32 bit architecture fit on a single duel layer dvd?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-iso/8088e083-5f2a-4077-9f87-f687cde3847a
  6. win 10 iso

win 10 iso: I got usb stick version of win 10 I have formatted it can I download iso somewhere help me out please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/win-10-iso/76efb25c-c845-437f-800d-7dd151522c0a
  7. Win 10 ISO

Win 10 ISO: I just created the Spring Update 1803 USB ISO for use on 2 PC's Win10 Pro x 64 Bit. Question: I have a Laptop running 1709 Win 10 Home Edition x 64 Bit. Is it possible to upgrade the Laptop to 1803 using the same USB Win 10 Pro 1803? or should I create another ISO...
  8. Copy of Win 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copy of Win 10: I want to make a zip (USB) copy of win 10 to have for emergenecy. How is the best way to do it and where can I download it from Thanks Ben 57860
  9. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  10. Win 10 ISO

Win 10 ISO: There's 3 choices provided by the MCT/Media Creation Tool, one for 32-bit/x86, one for 64-bit/x64 and the third is for both on the same bootable USB 8GB or larger [preferably 16GB] or an .iso file for use with a DVD+R/DL [Dual Layer] disc [holds nearly 8GB]. In addition,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy install.wim to desktop. (used the iso downloaded from techbench)