Windows 10: Win 10 won't stop searching K: drive, which is a Casper backup drive of C: drive.

Discus and support Win 10 won't stop searching K: drive, which is a Casper backup drive of C: drive. in Cortana to solve the problem; Earlier versions of Win 10 allowed for a backup bootable drive to exist as, for instance, K: WITHOUT it indexing K: drive or returning any K: search... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by gpope, Feb 12, 2019.

1. gpope Win User

Win 10 won't stop searching K: drive, which is a Casper backup drive of C: drive.

Earlier versions of Win 10 allowed for a backup bootable drive to exist as, for instance, K: WITHOUT it indexing K: drive or returning any K: search results.

Some updates ago (don't know which exactly), search now ALWAYS shows searches in K: drive 1st and sometimes doesn't show exact same files in C: drive at all in listing.

If I enter K: drive Properties and uncheck "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed..." the computer takes an hour to scan every file in the drive to get rid of the index. Then search properly only show C: drive results FOR A WHILE.

Once my backup software (Casper) creates a new backup drive, sooner than later I'm getting only K: drive results in my search.

I've made sure the Indexing Options Setup does not include K: drive at all. (See Below) That should have worked but it doesn't.

Win 10 won't stop searching K: drive, which is a Casper backup drive of C: drive. cc06730d-43f3-4740-8aa3-074c576107ee?upload=true.png

It appears as if the Master Setting has been changed from following the Settings Control Panel (which makes sense), to the local settings, even if the drive is outside C:

As I said, before, I could control the drive(s) that Indexing occurred on. No more...

Suggestions on what to try next? Thank you!

:)

gpope, Feb 12, 2019
  2. BVY
    bvy Win User

Windows 10 - C, D drives as duplicated with K, L drive letters

Old title: Windows 10 - C, D drives duped as K, L

I accepted the automated install over Windows 8.1 and now I have Windows 10, 64 bit. Now my C and D drives are duplicated as drives K and L. This is causing problems (with Backblaze for instance). How do I get rid of these duplicate drive entries? My C and
    D drives are RAID 1 if that matters.

Removing the two DelegateFolders keys as described in posts elsewhere did NOT work.

Thank you.

3. pewe Win User
    Backup of System drive.

I hope this is the right forum for this question which is to do with backing up Windows 10.

I have recently purchased a new laptop which came with Windows 8 and a 1TB hard drive which I partitioned into two - one for the OS (Drive C) and the other for data (Drive F). The reason for this was because I have 2 external drives which are both 500GB and the partitioning made backup easier.

I upgraded the OS to windows 10 as a 'clean install'.

Now I am looking at how to backup the OS.

In the past I used a product called Casper
    The reason I used this is because once the initial 'clone' of the C: partition was done, it was a quick job to update it periodically using a feature (they call Smartclone) which only updated certain system files and any changed files on the drive.
    I have an external drive which I use to backup the data from F:

A bootable USB drive with Casper on it allows me to boot to the USB, load Casper and then copy the Backup onto a new C: drive should anything go wrong and/or if I needed to change the hard drive,
    BUT ALSO
    the facility where I could just take the backup drive and use it as a replacement for the main OS drive and it will only be out of date by the amount of time since I did the last 'Smartclone'

Simple - until now.

Within Casper the options only offer the facility to copy the whole hard drive (both partitions) or one partition at a time.

- I do not want to copy the whole drive each time because that will take up a whole 1TB drive unnecessarily. I guess I could back up the Windows OS, the EFI Partition and recovery partitions as 3 seperate actions (I guess the later 2 should never need to be backed up subsequent to the intial backup).

But I have 2 problems:

1. Casper does not see the EFI and recovery partitions on any disc other than the OS one.
    2. It appears that Windows does not allow the creation of these 2 partitions except on a 'format' during a clean install.

Because of these problems it does seem that this backup software is not as simple as it used to be.

Can anyone suggest any alternative method to achieve what I need - ie a quick and easy way to keep a copy of the Win 10 OS on an external drive that is a plug and play replacement.

4. jrj1040 Win User

Win 10 won't stop searching K: drive, which is a Casper backup drive of C: drive.

Questions on C:\ Drive Backup

*Original Title: Backup C drive

I have a Lenovo K330 PC which I bought in 2011 with Windows 7 Home. Since then I’ve upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and now to Windows 10 Professional. My C: drive no longer has the Lenovo rescue partition. I have a portable WD Passport with
    1 GB used to coordinate data between computers. I backup my data weekly on a removable 298 GB hard drive. I currently have no system backups. I see several backup alternatives:

• Windows 7 Backup & Restore
    • Norton 360 Backup
    • Cobian 11 Backup
    My concern is my C: drive is 5 years old. When it fails I’m up a creek. I refuse to go to the "cloud." I tried Windows 7 Backup and Recovery on my Passport. When finished I got a warning that some files were not copied. Not
    what I wanted to see. Will it work?

jrj1040, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 won't stop searching K: drive, which is a Casper backup drive of C: drive. - Similar Threads - won't stop searching

2. WIN 10 C DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIN 10 C DRIVE: i need help i downloaded my windows 10 in E drive but now i gonna reinstall it but in c drive i already had win 8 in c drive and i have deleted folders but program files folder is not delete idk how to format c drive without usb or and cd plz help...
  3. WIN 10 C DRIVE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN 10 C DRIVE: i need help i downloaded my windows 10 in E drive but now i gonna reinstall it but in c drive i already had win 8 in c drive and i have deleted folders but program files folder is not delete idk how to format c drive without usb or and cd plz help...
  4. WIN 10 C DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. C: Drive Recovery Deep Scan won't stop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: Drive Recovery Deep Scan won't stop: About 9 months ago I did some spring cleaning on my C drive and accidentally deleted files I wanted to keep. I am also learning to use the command prompt, so I googled how to recover lost files via a command prompt. I found a solution that had me run a command which created a...
  6. C: Drive Recovery Deep Scan won't stop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: Drive Recovery Deep Scan won't stop: About 9 months ago I did some spring cleaning on my C drive and accidentally deleted files I wanted to keep. I am also learning to use the command prompt, so I googled how to recover lost files via a command prompt. I found a solution that had me run a command which created a...
  7. system Backup From C drive to D drive both internal drives

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system Backup From C drive to D drive both internal drives: ok I have been on the insiders program for awhile. I am tired of having to reinstall my system completely when the updates give me BSOD or black screens of death and trying everything to get past it. Anyway, I have tried Macrium, Aomei and Acronis using the usb media recovery...
  8. My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...: Hi, after using my laptop a few days ago, I decided to reboot and windows couldn't boot. After trying every possible fix without success, I had to reinstall windows via a USB stick. I took a photo of my volumes after reinstalling windows. Everything was ok. [ATTACH]...
  9. Backup c drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup c drive: how do I backup complete C drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-c-drive/e75a9059-c42d-4051-af2a-7a234bb39691
  10. expansion drive k

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    expansion drive k: When I paid to have my Windows Vista documents imported to Windows 10, I had an Extension K drive that contained some important documents. It has disappeared and I cannot bring up those documents. They say nothing ever disappears from your computer so where is it?????...