Windows 10: Win 10 Workable on old hardware?

Discus and support Win 10 Workable on old hardware? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I own a Toshiba NB100-10Y (netbook ) with following hardware: CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270@1.60GHz RAM: 798MHz 2GB RAM Is this: 1. enough to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by aliskander, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Win 10 Workable on old hardware?

I own a Toshiba NB100-10Y (netbook ) with following hardware:
    CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270@1.60GHz
    RAM: 798MHz 2GB RAM

Is this:
    1. enough to clean install Window 10 Home Edition 32-bit and
    2. will it be workable?

thanks for any anser, gabriël

:)

aliskander, Mar 7, 2016

2. Printer and PC won't talk

First suggestion does not work. 2nd suggestion: after clicking properties there is no 'compatibility' tab and I shouldn't be looking in win 7/8 as I'm now running win 10.

Need a workable idea very badly. T hNKS.

MarvinLippincott, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Quiet Hours

The search box brings NO RESULTS!!! - Win 10 is, quite frankly, appalling.

Even in settings search box there is ............... nothing found.

I have now spent hours pissing around making Win 10 workable, and it's still abyssmal. Do Microsoft see these exchanges?

CarrotMuseum, Mar 7, 2016
  4. Win 10 Workable on old hardware?

I would really doubt it since your system was originally delivered with Win XP. Since its so old I'm sure Toshiba will not provide W10 drivers for things like the "Touch pad", "USB Ports" etc.

storageman, Mar 7, 2016
  5. I was afraid of that myself.
    thank you for that confirmation.

aliskander, Mar 7, 2016
  6. cyberSAR Win User
    I upgraded an older Lenovo laptop with a bit higher specs than yours which didn't have any drivers provided by Lenovo. The generic Windows 10 drivers worked and the machine is a bit snappier with 10 than 7.

I created an Acronis image prior to upgrading just in case.

cyberSAR, Mar 7, 2016
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I have installed W10 on PCs very similar to yours. Just do as cyberSAR says (make a partition backup first).

eLPuSHeR, Mar 8, 2016
  8. Fafhrd Win User

Win 10 Workable on old hardware?

Fafhrd, Mar 9, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    I tried to install 10 on an old laptop with 2gb of ram but it would not even install.

swarfega, Mar 9, 2016
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    It can be a challenge, but those who have managed to install it seem to be in agreement, me included, that 10 runs as well as the original XP the machines were designed for on these old systems with 2GB.

The hurdles to overcome are no compatible chipset and graphics drivers, power management issues, and CPU overheating during installation, and worn out laptop hardware, like batteries and optical drives. The fan and cooling vents need to be properly cleaned in advance, and additional fan cooling is helpful during setup. Add to this the potential for IRQ conflicts from old unused legacy hardware like modems, infrared and pcmcia cards, and because these problems have never been tested for at Redmond, the lack of error codes these problems throw up during setup. - "Something went wrong" and " Something happened"fall into this category.

Things to do in preparation include remove the battery, plug in the power adapter, remove the internal wifi card, turn off and unplug the network cable, upgrade from a fully updated x86 Windows 7 where possible with older hardware devices disabled if not possible to remove them. Otherwise clean install, but this will use only generic drivers, rather than those scanned for in the Panther setuplogs.

Download and extract the x86 setup source files onto the hard disk, and avoid having any USB or any external devices - scanners, printers etc., - connected. Run the GatherOSState program from the sources folder and keep the genuineticket.xml file safe. Go into the BIOS and remove any extra memory preallocation for onboard graphics - just allow the bare minimum required - and make sure that the first hard drive is the default boot drive.

Set the locale to USA, and if you can, keyboard and language and time for the installation, so that number formats/time differences don't get in the way, and do a clean boot (Msconfig) without antivirus or any 3rd party software software or customizations running - disable touchpad enhancement software, and just allow Ps/2 mouse.

Finally run the setup upgrade as administrator, and prepare for a long patient wait...

Fafhrd, Mar 9, 2016
  11. sabby Win User
  12. I finally took the plunge and did a clean install on my netbook toshiba.
    It isn't a speed monster but it is totally workable; am ver plesed with it.

aliskander, Mar 27, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    actually as an interesting exercise you could install W10 (32 bit) on a VM with that machine - use VBOX or an old version of vmware player (32 bit version).

XP itself doesn't use a lot of RAM so you could allocate 1GB RAM to your Windows 10 Virtual machine.

Performance won't be stellar but it would give you a taste to see if you like W10.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Workable on old hardware? - Similar Threads - Workable old hardware

2. Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware: Hi Folks I have updated my 12 yr old PC with a faster processor and an SSD in the hope of being able to get Win 10 to boot in minutes rather than hours. Now the machine is back on my desk I have happily booted it with the old HDD albeit pretty slowly. Win 10 asked for an...
  3. Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?: So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running Win98). This program basically plays wav files while it commands an external board via an RS232 port. On a lark, I wondered if...
  4. Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Old program runs fine on old hardware Win 98 computer - work w/Win 10?: So, I have a VERY old legacy program that was written during the late 90's (not by me) and runs just fine on an old Pentium machine I have (running Win98). This program basically plays wav files while it commands an external board via an RS232 port. On a lark, I wondered if...
  5. looking for the hardware troubleshooter in Win. 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    looking for the hardware troubleshooter in Win. 10?: hi all: Few posts have stated regards to where the hardware troubleshooter is. Microsoft took it out starting from 1809, because it has the lowest usage. One website I found stated that it is not gone, but rather, it is hidden. To use it, please type msdt.exe -id...
  6. Workable or visual space on screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Workable or visual space on screen: appearance of 'boxes' or they icons? or folders? at the top of screen, each new opens with fold"or website etc. How do I change it? & where can I learn what the basics of verbiage (to even describe a problem)? Thank You Otter 40...
  7. old hardware licence

old hardware licence: Ok so a bit of background before my question... I had purchased a laptop for my daughter a few years back with windows 7 on it, when the offer to upgrade to 10 for free came up I did so. Jump ahead to this past August I bought her a new laptop with windows 10 preinstalled. My...
  8. Win 10 Updates/ Hardware/ Drivers

Win 10 Updates/ Hardware/ Drivers: Hi all. Just to let you know, I have the latest version of Win 10 Pro, 1803, released back on April 30th. With what I want to ask, perhaps there was a change in this latest update and it's why I'm seeing what I'm seeing. When it comes to my system's hardware and updates for...
  9. WIN 10 compatibility list of unlisted hardware - aka OLD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIN 10 compatibility list of unlisted hardware - aka OLD.: MIRROR POST: WIN 10 compatibility list of unlisted hardware - aka OLD. Please SHARE YOUR CONFIGURATION. link your known list for compatible hardware here, I will update the thread as is grows with working parts successfully updated on a working WIN 10 HOME / PRO /TP also...
  10. Any Workable Fix for Store Not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any Workable Fix for Store Not opening: I have tried all of the fixes I came across on the form except reinstalling Windows and nothing seems to work. I've tried the powershell commands, the re-registering of Store with no affect. The last time I had this problem I reinstalled an imagine backup that fixed the...