Windows 10: Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

Discus and support Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I don't understand why folder names sort ones before zeroes, example:All else being equal, I expect the sort order to run 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.Files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Fielderbay, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

I don't understand why folder names sort ones before zeroes, example:All else being equal, I expect the sort order to run 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.Files inside folders sort by file name as expected.

:)

Fielderbay, Dec 1, 2022
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Dec 1, 2022
  3. sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Dec 1, 2022
  4. dalchina Win User

Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

dalchina, Dec 1, 2022
Thema:

Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

1. Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect - Similar Threads - File Explorer file

2. Windows file explorer not sorting correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows file explorer not sorting correctly: Win 8.1. in the downloads folder, I select sort by Modified date. I unzipped today a file. The resultant unzipped file with today's modified date shows up sorted with files of a much earlier modified date ,...
  3. Windows file explorer not sorting correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows file explorer not sorting correctly: Win 8.1. in the downloads folder, I select sort by Modified date. I unzipped today a file. The resultant unzipped file with today's modified date shows up sorted with files of a much earlier modified date ,...
  4. Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 File Explorer file sort correct folder sort incorrect: I don't understand why folder names sort ones before zeroes, example:All else being equal, I expect the sort order to run 01, 02, 03, 04, etc.Files inside folders sort by file name as expected....
  5. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  6. File Explorer Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  7. Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *

Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *: We all like our stuff organized in some way so we can locate them easily. However, I cannot seems to find a way to organized my Chinese titled file in any meaningful way.This post is specifically asking if there is a way to edit registry/some program/setting changes/what not...
  8. Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *

Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *: We all like our stuff organized in some way so we can locate them easily. However, I cannot seems to find a way to organized my Chinese titled file in any meaningful way.This post is specifically asking if there is a way to edit registry/some program/setting changes/what not...
  9. Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar: Is it possible to sort the file explorer folders on the taskbar ? On my PC, when I have 5 or more folders, they appear in a vertical list (see attached). Every time I restart windows I run a batch file that opens my "standard file explorer folders" minimized to the Taskbar....
  10. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...