Windows 10: WIN 1903 REMOTE DESKTOP FAILS. Works fine in 1809

Discus and support WIN 1903 REMOTE DESKTOP FAILS. Works fine in 1809 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks, I need some help/guidance. I have a home network with 8 workstation/PC's and two domain controllers. All but one of the PC's are at 1903... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Charlieo, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Charlieo Win User

WIN 1903 REMOTE DESKTOP FAILS. Works fine in 1809

Hi folks,

I need some help/guidance.

I have a home network with 8 workstation/PC's and two domain controllers. All but one of the PC's are at 1903 and the DC's are Server 2012 R2.

I RDP from my desk into 4 of the PC's which are headless. It has always worked flawlessly.... until now.

The PC's are fairly old. One of the PC's, after upgrading (upgrade was offered by MS!) from 1809 to 1903, locked up when I RDP'd into it (from my 1903 machine). I read somewhere that this was a known issue with certain older onboard video chipsets. This particular machine used G43/G45 Express Chipset onboard video . . . and that was supposedly one of the offending chipsets. So, I installed an Nvidia 1050 video card with 1903 approved drivers in the PC (first I restored 1809... then re-upgraded to 1903). I also disabled the onboard video in bios. Windows 1903 ran just fine...…. until I RDP'd in... same problem... box locks up after a short period of time. Requires hard reset. As long as I don't RDP in, the PC runs 1903 just fine.

What am I missing here? When I RDP into the PC, is it using some other RDP video driver that is still "bad" in 1903? I did also try deleting the G43/G45 device in device manager and using generic PC video and that DID work.... but every time I rebooted, it re-loaded the G43/G45 device-drivers (that's when I went the Nvidia route). I have upgraded and then downgraded back to 1809 three times in the last month hoping some driver got updated.... no luck.

Any advice is appreciated.

Charlie

:)

Charlieo, Jul 16, 2019
  2. Charlieo Win User

Hi folks,

I need some help/guidance.

I have a home network with 8 workstation/PC's and two domain controllers. All but one of the PC's are at 1903 and the DC's are Server 2012 R2.

I RDP from my desk into 4 of the PC's which are headless. It has always worked flawlessly.... until now.

The PC's are fairly old. One of the PC's, after upgrading (upgrade was offered by MS!) from 1809 to 1903, locked up when I RDP'd into it (from my 1903 machine). I read somewhere that this was a known issue with certain older onboard video chipsets. This particular machine used G43/G45 Express Chipset onboard video . . . and that was supposedly one of the offending chipsets. So, I installed an Nvidia 1050 video card with 1903 approved drivers in the PC (first I restored 1809... then re-upgraded to 1903). I also disabled the onboard video in bios. Windows 1903 ran just fine...…. until I RDP'd in... same problem... box locks up after a short period of time. Requires hard reset. As long as I don't RDP in, the PC runs 1903 just fine.

What am I missing here? When I RDP into the PC, is it using some other RDP video driver that is still "bad" in 1903? I did also try deleting the G43/G45 device in device manager and using generic PC video and that DID work.... but every time I rebooted, it re-loaded the G43/G45 device-drivers (that's when I went the Nvidia route). I have upgraded and then downgraded back to 1809 three times in the last month hoping some driver got updated.... no luck.

Any advice is appreciated.

Charlie

Charlieo, Jul 16, 2019
  3. Remote Desktop black screen

It logs in but get the black screen with only the pointer showing. I tried unchecking the persistent bitmap caching but still didn't help. This was suggested online. The remote computer graphics work fine when not connected with remote desktop. The driver
    that was installed when Windows 10 1903 was installed is the one not working with remote desktop. The old Microsoft basic graphic driver just made it impossible to use although it did work with remote desktop. Haven't found any other driver to use as of now.
    It is an older Dell Studio 17 and Dell doesn't list a graphic driver for it. I am still trying to see if I can find one though.

JamesWalther, Jul 16, 2019
  4. rans0000 Win User

Remote Desktop

I'm have the same problem:

From 1809.529 computer I remote desktop to 1903.116 computer, it logs in fine but the screen on the 1809 is BLACK.

Microsoft support told me that 1903 is not yet finished and the problem will be fixed.

rans0000, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

1. WIN 1903 REMOTE DESKTOP FAILS. Works fine in 1809 - Similar Threads - 1903 REMOTE DESKTOP

2. Remote Desktop Login Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Login Failed: I just purchased a new Windows 11 system and I am using another Windows 11 system on my laptop to access the system through remote desktop and I get an error that says that the login failed. Something in the new Windows 11 system is blocking logins from remote desktop:I am...
  3. Remote Desktop Login Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Login Failed: I just purchased a new Windows 11 system and I am using another Windows 11 system on my laptop to access the system through remote desktop and I get an error that says that the login failed. Something in the new Windows 11 system is blocking logins from remote desktop:I am...
  4. Sound drivers 1903 not working after update 1809 working fine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound drivers 1903 not working after update 1809 working fine: Hi I have creative audigy 2 I have rollback each time after updating. After updating sound does not work. Have tried updating drivivers etc still nothing...
  5. Audio configuration worked fine in Win 7, but not in Win 10 1903

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio configuration worked fine in Win 7, but not in Win 10 1903: Hi! I had a custom audio config that worked fine in Win 7, but I haven't gotten it to work in my current Win 10 Pro 1903 desktop system, and I'd greatly appreciate some help. Here's the key part of the config that's not working: I take the HDMI output from my Fire TV Gen 2...
  6. 1809 wifi not working after update to 1903 failed then rollback

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1809 wifi not working after update to 1903 failed then rollback: Asus Vivotab Note 8 (M80TA) tablets: Atom CPU Z3740 1.33 GHz processors I have 2 machines: 1 x 32gb and 1 x 64gb. Machines are otherwise identical. Going from a start-point where both machines worked perfectly on 1809. On the 64gb machine 1903 installed with no problems....
  7. 1809 wifi not working after update to 1903 failed then rollback

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1809 wifi not working after update to 1903 failed then rollback: Asus Vivotab Note 8 (M80TA) tablets: Atom CPU Z3740 1.33 GHz processors I have 2 machines: 1 x 32gb and 1 x 64gb. Machines are otherwise identical. Going from a start-point where both machines worked perfectly on 1809. On the 64gb machine 1903 installed with no problems....
  8. WIN 1903 REMOTE DESKTOP FAILS. Works fine in 1809

in Windows 10 Support
    WIN 1903 REMOTE DESKTOP FAILS. Works fine in 1809: Hi folks, I need some help/guidance. I have a home network with 8 workstation/PC's and two domain controllers. All but one of the PC's are at 1903 and the DC's are Server 2012 R2. I RDP from my desk into 4 of the PC's which are headless. It has always worked...
  9. Win 1809 to Win 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 1809 to Win 1903: Hello Update made yesterday without problems (French user) without issues. Total time of loading and install : 06h30. All my applications work and libraries are not affected. No evolution of software is visible. This update takes 10 Go more on the hard disk after...
  10. Remote Desktop Issues on W10 1809

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote Desktop Issues on W10 1809: Is anyone else having issues using Remote Desktop with the most recent update, 1809? The computer I remote into as well as the computer I am remoting with are both at 1809. When I remote in, it is quite laggy, and clicking on something on the remote computer will freeze and...