Windows 10: Win 7 and Win 10 Home Network Oddity

Discus and support Win 7 and Win 10 Home Network Oddity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two desktop computers on an Ethernet Home Network. Computer 1 is a Dell Inspiron 530 (April 2009) running Windows 7, Network: L: \\INSPIRON530A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by noquiexis, Aug 2, 2018.

1. noquiexis Win User

Win 7 and Win 10 Home Network Oddity

I have two desktop computers on an Ethernet Home Network.
    Computer 1 is a Dell Inspiron 530 (April 2009) running Windows 7, Network: L: \\INSPIRON530A
    Computer 2 is a Dell XPS 8920 (July 2017) running Windows 10 (build 1803), Network: L: \\DESKTOP-Q01G00A
    Home Networking did work as promised on both computers when I first bought the second machine. I set up all of the Shared Folders on both machines using Properties -> Advanced Sharing. I have had to reset my shared folders a few times after Windows 10 Updates.

The oddity:
    Both computers can "see" each other in Windows Explorer (Win 7) and File Explorer (Win 10) {- same program, different names}.

The Windows 10 computer has full access to my Shared directories ("Folders") on the Windows 7 computer.
    The Windows 7 computer can "see" the Windows computer at L: \\DESKTOP-Q01G00A, but cannot access any of the files or folders. See attachments.

I did follow the tutorials listed in other networking topics on this board. I made no changes to the Windows Defender or McAfee firewalls.

Both of these computers are in the same room, but only doing file sharing from the Windows 10 computer is an annoyance.

:)

noquiexis, Aug 2, 2018

2. Joining a Win 7 network from a Win 10 laptop

I have a Win 7 pc that served my old network.

I updated my laptops to Win 10 and now cannot network the various computers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Big Jim

Big JimSalles, Aug 2, 2018
  3. mbc320 Win User
    Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC.

I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way.

Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Desktop is OK.

Win 7 Desktop to Win 10 Laptop is NO GO.

I do not know whether it is a Win 10 Laptop or a Win 7 Desktop problem. All use the same Homegroup. I am the only user; there are no other accounts on any of the machines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

mbc320, Aug 2, 2018
  4. GSDnet Win User

Networking computer with win 10 and win 7

I have three computers on a networked on the same switch. Two are running on Win 7 and one on Win 10. One of them is new and replaces an older Win 7 computer. All the PC's have the network discovery and sharing enabled. The Win 7 PC's are networked, but
    not the one with Win 10. Before I bought the new PC, all the computers were networked. I used Easy transfer to set up the new PC.

GSDnet, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 7 and Win 10 Home Network Oddity - Similar Threads - Home Network Oddity

2. home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices: I am currently running a home network with 3 Windows 10 computers. If I upgrade one device to Windows 11, will network access and file sharing still work across all the devices?...
  3. home network win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    home network win 10: Prior questions here have led to no answer. 2 computers on the same wifi network need to access each other. Computer that i need to access shows up on File Explorer - Network. But attempts to access give this: [ATTACH] I have tried all of my passwords, looked for something...
  4. Setting up network Win 10 with Win 7

Setting up network Win 10 with Win 7: I have a desktop, running Win7 Pro 64-bit and laptop running Win10 Pro 64-bit I would like to create a network between the two so they see each other via File Explorer Currently the desktop is connected to the Internet network via LAN while the laptop via WiFi They both sit...
  5. Win 10, 2004 Oddity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10, 2004 Oddity: When I try to link from Win 10, ver 2004, to www.totalwine.com I receive this error message: "An Error has occured We apologize for the inconvenience, but the requested url is invalid. It may be a result of using special characters that are not accepted at this time. Thank...
  6. Network Issues between Win 10 and Win 7

Network Issues between Win 10 and Win 7: After upgrading to Win 10 1903, I had to redo all local networking. No problem in getting my Win 10 computers to communicate with each other, but the only way I can get the Win 10 computers to access shares on my old Win 7 system is to disable IP 6 on the Win 10 computer...
  7. win 7 ultimate to win 10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 7 ultimate to win 10 home: I bought a product key for win 10 home. Upgrading win 10 ultimate only offers win 10 pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-ultimate-to-win-10-home/7f60e015-276d-4c68-8650-d7d411138a0c"
  8. Set up file sharing home network with win 10 and win 7 computers

Set up file sharing home network with win 10 and win 7 computers: I just upgraded my main computer to 1803 and now most of my network won't connect to each other. I have two computers on Win 10 ver 1803 and two son Win7 sp2. I can't get them to connect. they did for a while and then stopped. I have spent two days reading and checking and...
  9. How to Network WIN 7 to WIN 10

How to Network WIN 7 to WIN 10: I had asked this question previously and received an answer which somehow got deleted from my email. So please excuse the redundancy. I would like to network two computers. One has WIN 7 and the other WIN 10. As WIN 10 no longer supports home groups, I can't get them to see...
  10. Networking Win 10 with Win 7

Networking Win 10 with Win 7: I have a desktop PC and two laptops all running Win 7 and networked through my router. I'd like to upgrade one of the laptops to Win 10 as a trial starter for probable upgrade on all but do not wish to lose the network connection in the meantime. Is that going to be a problem...