Windows 10: Win 7 from scratch before Win10 upgrade?

Discus and support Win 7 from scratch before Win10 upgrade? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Been a long time 5+ years since I reloaded windows. Is it better to reload it and go to Win10 or Just go to Win 10 and hope for the best.... Only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamlost, Mar 30, 2016.

1. iamlost Win User

Win 7 from scratch before Win10 upgrade?

Been a long time 5+ years since I reloaded windows. Is it better to reload it and go to Win10 or
    Just go to Win 10 and hope for the best.... Only problem is the browsers are running a little slow
    and have to be restarted

Gary

:)

iamlost, Mar 30, 2016

2. Windows 10: Critical Error: Start menu

I had too many problems getting Win 10 working. I rolled back to win 7, then reinstalled the whole PC from scratch in October, and installed win10. Then for about two month I was happy: no strange critical errors, even if either I was given the wrong error
    messages for faulty components (in perfect condition) or some "strange" behaviour and then a message given by win10 would disappear before I had time to read it. There was a win 10 update yesterday.... and the nightmare of Windows 10: Critical Error: Start
    menu is up again. I will not even bother to try the what I read on various forum before October this year.

One thing is sure: Win 10 has a serious problem. If I upgraded from win 7 to 10, it was not for win10 being free. I am ready to pay the price for a Win 11 or 12 as long as it works. I am going back to work on a PC that has stayed with win 7 and it works...

Jeanpierre1985, Mar 30, 2016
  3. TomPinkin Win User
    New motherboard, CPU SSD drives and fresh Win 10 Home install.

I originally started with Win 7 pro and upgraded to Win10 Pro, not OEM version. Anticipating issues with switching, I bought a full version of Win10 Home 64 bit and installed from the Windows USB drive onto the M2 256Gb SSD on the motherboard. On the programs
    on the original HDD drives, I had some that were from downloads that may present issues. On the majors like Office 365, I will simply install them from scratch. I am assuming I only have to move the files from the User application directories to get things
    back as they were before. Correct?

TomPinkin, Mar 30, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Going straight to Windows 7 and using Windows 7 key to activate it is generally more reliable than upgrading.

cereberus, Mar 30, 2016
  5. Wynona Win User
    You can use the media creation tool to get to the latest RTM version and when it asks for a product key, use the Windows 7 key. That way you'll have a clean install of Windows 10 without any upgrades.

The only downside to that would be that you'll be required to reinstall all your programs and apps. Which I would do anyway, but I'm not you. *Smile

BRB with a link to the media creation tool . . .

Wynona, Mar 30, 2016
  6. Wynona Win User
    Wynona, Mar 30, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    You have been given method to do a Clean Install.

The alternative is to do an in-place install.
    Use the same Windows 10 ( MCT ) download link already given to you and follow these steps..............

Click Download the Tool Now button, and run it.
    Then select Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

After installation is completed and activated, you can burn the iso file to a bootable DVD or USB. You can then use it for future reinstall.

davidhk, Mar 30, 2016
  8. Wynona Win User

Thanks for the info, David. Looks like the OP now has everything he needs to get to Windows 10. *Smile

Wynona, Mar 30, 2016
  9. iamlost Win User
    I created the disks when Win10 can out last year. Should I do it again or all the the same as they where last July ?

iamlost, Apr 8, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    That one is outdated. It was for version 10240.

Download the iso again. The current version is 10586.
    I would suggest that you use Tech bench download link instead of MCT link.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/soft...load/techbench
    Make sure you select the same Windows edition, Language and bit version your computer is now running.

davidhk, Apr 8, 2016
  11. Wynona Win User
    Hi David:

I have a question that may (or may not) help others with the same question:

What is the difference between Windows 10, Windows KN, Windows N and Windows 10 Single Language?

Wynona, Apr 8, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    Win 10 includes both Home and Pro versions.
    Win N is for European countries where anti-trust law prohibits MS to include certain programs such as Internet Explorer and media player etc.
    Win KN is for Korea. Same as N version.
    Single language ................( quote from Brink, forum Admin ) installation media only includes one language, and that will be the only language selectable whenever you reinstall.

davidhk, Apr 8, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

And none of the product keys are interchangeable between N, KN, Single Language and regular versions of Windows.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2016
  14. iamlost Win User
    Thought Home and Pro takes separate disks ?

iamlost, Apr 8, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, they are combined in the Windows 10 install media. Index 1 of the install.wim file is Pro, index 2 is Home.

They are actually combined in Windows 7 too - you just have to delete the ei.cfg file to unlock them.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 7 from scratch before Win10 upgrade? - Similar Threads - scratch before Win10

2. Upgrading from Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 7: Hello. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 or 11. I get to the download tool and when I try to open it, I get an error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win-7/33a030e5-ec18-4d25-8168-f0f73e62b8e3
  3. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  4. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  5. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Getting familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading from 7

Getting familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading from 7: Hello all. I'm preparing for the upgrade, and would like to get familiar with the Win 10 GUI before upgrading. Can anyone recommend a place to learn the basics? Thanks. 147448
  7. Win10 pro key from win 7 upgrade licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 pro key from win 7 upgrade licence: Hi Guys I just replace mobo and cpu. I need to reactivate I purchased win10 pro upgrade from win7 back in 2017, I still have the Order and is its in my purchase history but I can not find the key anywhere to reactivate. Logged in with my account but still wont...
  8. Win 7 Virtualization before Win 10 upgrade

Win 7 Virtualization before Win 10 upgrade: I have a weird situation. We are accountants whose database is MS Access 2003 that runs under Win 7. To secure my clients' data we are upgrading to Win 10 for security's sake. There is a possibility that Access 2003 won't work in Win 10 even in compatibility mode (if that's...
  9. Upgraded from Win 7

Upgraded from Win 7: I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 via the free upgrade a few years ago. Do I need to keep my original Win 7 installation disks & Product key? 131586
  10. failing HDD with Win10 on it upgraded from Win 7

failing HDD with Win10 on it upgraded from Win 7: HP PC originally with Window 7, upgraded to Windows 10 during free upgrade period. HDD is failing (HP error BIOHD-8) so need to replace HDD. How can I get legal copy of Windows 10 on new HDD? Thanks in advance....