Windows 10: Win 7 to 10 upgrade being blocked-work arounds?

Discus and support Win 7 to 10 upgrade being blocked-work arounds? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Being blocked when trying to upgrade from 7 to 10. Note to be clear: I don't mean a clean install, I mean an upgrade. Win 10 media is on a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fletch101e, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Win 7 to 10 upgrade being blocked-work arounds?

Being blocked when trying to upgrade from 7 to 10.

Note to be clear: I don't mean a clean install, I mean an upgrade.

Win 10 media is on a bootable usb key. If you boot from the key everything works fine until you try the upgrade then you get this message:

The upgrade option is not available if you start your computer using Windows installation media.

It then says to start computer normally then run setup. The problem is that is being blocked as well saying autorun.dll is missing.

Any work arounds? Thanks.

submitted by /u/fletch101e
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/fletch101e, Dec 9, 2019
  2. n2bn2b Win User

Recommend hardware changes for upgrading from Win-7 to Win-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Dec 9, 2019
  3. LeeBerge Win User
    Upgrading Win 7 Pro to Win 10

Hi Once Again

I just finished performing the steps you suggested I do in your last email to upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. I eliminated all of the temporary files and then performed a check disk on my hard drive; no errors or bad sectors were found. After doing those
    steps, Win10 failed to install again so then I went back and performed all of your suggest procedures from the past several emails all at once....disconnecting all of my external devices, doing the system file check, and then deleting all of the temporary
    files following by the check disk routine. Once again the Win10 download failed to install.

This is what happened when I tried the upgrade: I began the download from the Microsoft flag download icon in my bottom toolbar rather than using the Media Creation tool program applet that had tried several times before to upgrade windows.. The download
    preceded normally and then the computer went into the installation process. The preparing for upgrade splash panel came up and then the desktop showed configuring update for Windows 10 appeared. The upgrade got to 87% complete once again and then my computer
    went into the reboot mode. The computer rebooted back into Win 7. The Windows update panel appeared with a panel that said "upgrade to Win10....start installing the newest versions of windows". I did not get a Win 10 failed to install as I did when using the
    Media Creation tool.

As I said, the reboot took me right back into my normal Windows 7 screen which worked normally.

That's all the information I have this time around.

Lee

LeeBerge, Dec 9, 2019
  4. adoornik Win User

Win 7 to 10 upgrade being blocked-work arounds?

Win 7 and Win 10 on network

I have home network with separate modem, router, and WAP's. My Windows 7 computer does NOT list the Windows 10 computers on network computer list but the Windows 10 computers network list DO list the Windows 7 computer.

Turned off firewalls, gave permissions, shared drives. Nothing allows Win 7 computer to access the Win 10 computers.

Any suggestions for a fix?

adoornik, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Win 7 to 10 upgrade being blocked-work arounds?

1. Win 7 to 10 upgrade being blocked-work arounds? - Similar Threads - upgrade being blocked

2. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have a really nice laptop that rarely get used that has Win 7 on it but it's becoming outdated and lost Microsoft support. It's a shame the Win 7 has reached it's end of life. Laptop works great. It MORE than has the capacity to run Win 10 Processor, Storage, Cache etc.....
  3. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  4. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  5. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  6. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: So I'm biting the bullet and finally upgrading to Win10 from Win7 (upgrading my computer from Win7 hardware to Win10). However I don't have a Win10 key directly, but I do hear you can upgrade from Win7 to 10 for free still. How would this work in my case? Would I install...
  7. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 prior to support being discontinued

Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 prior to support being discontinued: I was FORCED to have to upgrade to Windows 10 after finding out that support will stop as of January 2020 for Windows 7. After reviewing the entire Windows 10 features I find I was extremely disappointed with access and the extreme lack of user friendly tools. 1 big issue I...
  8. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  9. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...