Windows 10: WIn 7 to WIN 10 x 2 PC's and Microsoft Account

Discus and support WIn 7 to WIN 10 x 2 PC's and Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I currently have 2 x Desktop PC's both running WIN 7 Pro on individual retail licenses. I currently also have 1 x Microsoft Account. When I upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AjayK47, Jun 7, 2015.

1. AjayK47 Win User

WIn 7 to WIN 10 x 2 PC's and Microsoft Account

I currently have 2 x Desktop PC's both running WIN 7 Pro on individual retail licenses. I currently also have 1 x Microsoft Account.

When I upgrade both machines to WIN 10 at the applicable time will I need a separate Microsoft Account for each machine or will I be able to register both against my one existing Microsoft Account?

If it is the latter how will the login work for each machine because I would not want the username to be the same for both PC's?

:)

AjayK47, Jun 7, 2015

2. Multiple User Accounts in Win 10

Am running Win 7 Pro with two (2) User accounts on the PC. If I upgrade to Win 10, will both User Accounts carry forward into Win 10?

RichardGrewe, Jun 7, 2015
  3. LLafferty Win User
    Win 10 upgrade forgotten password from Win 7

Today I upgraded a friends Win 7 PC to Win 10 and when I got to the initial Win 10 log-in screen my friend did not know her password for logging into Win 7. Is there an answer for this as she does not have a Microsoft account. Will I be able to revert
    back to her previous Win 7 install? Please advise.

LLafferty, Jun 7, 2015
  4. batlhilz Win User

not sure, i should try this tbh, but if you make local account named X and sign that one later to a microsoft account, im unsure if you could keep the X-named account while itd be still synced to your other computers.

batlhilz, Jun 7, 2015
  5. I have 4 PC's here 3 running Windows 8.1 and one running 10 TP. The one running 10 TP was originally Windows 7 upgraded to 10 online the via the Insiders page. I was not asked to setup a Live ID logon, it just used my local account that was already setup in Windows 7. I was not prompted to switch to a Live ID during setup. I did however switch to a Live ID. I use the same Live ID logon on all 4 of my PC's. I like to sync so settings and personalization settings across all PC's. I personally don't see the point of having a different logon on each PC. You could do that, if you wanted. You would have to setup a different Live ID account for each PC with a different e-mail address for each. Seems like a lot of work to me. Might be better to just stay with a local account on each PC. That has a downside though. You won't be able to use the Windows Store and some Apps without a Live ID. What's posted above might work. Log in with a local account and then switch. You local account might get renamed though, not sure. Your User folder won't but what's shown on the Lock screen might change.

alphanumeric, Jun 7, 2015
  6. The license for Windows 10 is tired to machine not your Microsoft Account. You can use the same account for both.

logicearth, Jun 7, 2015
  7. rvbfan Win User
    Thank you, I was wondering about this myself. Ask on the hub and hadn't gotten an answer yet.

rvbfan, Jun 7, 2015
  8. strollin Win User

I don't see the concern of having the same logon on 2 different computers, I use many different computers, all with the same userid/pw. In a domain environment, a user is given a userid & PW and can login from any computer on the domain with that userid.

If you want to have separate logins for each machine then each userid will need their own MS Account. You don't have to use a MS Account, you can use a local account instead. You can still use the Store but you will need to enter the credentials fron an MS Account there. You can also have multiple accounts setup on each machine, each with their own MS Account.

One of the reasons for using an MS Account is so that settings and other info can be synced across all of your machines which many people really like.

strollin, Jun 7, 2015
  9. rvbfan Win User
    It was an honest question. If it wasn't for you, so be it.

rvbfan, Jun 7, 2015
  10. Yes, and you can have multiple Live ID logins on the same PC. My wife also has a Microsoft live ID and I have my account setup on her laptop as well. The product code/License is tied to the hardware its first activated on. It doesn't care who uses the PC.

alphanumeric, Jun 7, 2015
  11. rvbfan Win User
    Thank you. Kinda following smart phones in that regard.

rvbfan, Jun 7, 2015
  12. strollin Win User
    What is this in regards to? No one said it wasn't an honest question.

strollin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. WIn 7 to WIN 10 x 2 PC's and Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - PC's Microsoft Account

2. Win+X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win+X: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winx/e88aeec3-1d1c-4adb-ba7b-759a64cf5da7
  3. Win+X

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win+X: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winx/e88aeec3-1d1c-4adb-ba7b-759a64cf5da7
  4. Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10: I have the Windows 7 home edition. by the time I changed it to Win 10 and then due a virus I formatted my disks. Right now, I want to activate the win 10 new installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/d8f511b9-2035-4fc5-aa6b-b48dfce47dcc
  5. can call of duty 2 for win 7 work with win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can call of duty 2 for win 7 work with win 10: Can i run Call of Duty for win 7 in win 10 . It loaded fine but when I try to play it gives me an Access error code about ier.dll and also gives me an an Address code0000000 and file my screen pop-ups saying the same thing...
  6. upgrade win 7 pc to win 10

upgrade win 7 pc to win 10: hey.this is my desctop pc for my work place.i want to upgrade win 7 to win 10.i use import software about my work place.if i upgrade with windows update assistant my software maybe removed/?//?...
  7. Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 7 to win 10: Can i transfer old computer win 7 to new win 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/ea48f987-32d1-4b38-9a63-726bfffde42b"
  8. Need to UPGRADE Win 7 Pro X 64 to Win 10 Pro X 64

Need to UPGRADE Win 7 Pro X 64 to Win 10 Pro X 64: Upgrading Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: Running Win 7 Pro with Service Pak 1 on a HP PC Desktop Mo h8-1360t 1.00 and I want to upgrade (not a fresh install) upgrade Win 7 Pro 64 bit to Win 10 Pro. 64 Bit Spec: Processor is Intel (R) Quad Core I-7-3770CPU 3.4 GHZ, 10 GB Mem ,...
  9. Win+x

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win+x: How can I add Programs and Features back to Win+X? 92167
  10. win 7 to win 10

win 7 to win 10: hello,im having the icon down the task bar for reserve my win 10,i did it in advance,but what benefits i get?is it a full version or a trial?do i get updates?do i have to install it on win 7 just an upgrade?can i reverse to win 7?do i have any setup for further use? hope...