Windows 10: Win 7 Updates Get Started problem

Discus and support Win 7 Updates Get Started problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I wanted to update the Win7 on my Dual boot Win 7 / Win 10 laptop. Check for updates after a while displayed a Win10 dialog box titled Get Started and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MacNala, Feb 12, 2016.

1. MacNala Win User

Win 7 Updates Get Started problem

I wanted to update the Win7 on my Dual boot Win 7 / Win 10 laptop.
    Check for updates after a while displayed a Win10 dialog box titled Get Started and had a link to show all the available updates. However I could not find any way to update just the Win 7 system.
    I thought that I had heard that if you allow it to download the Win10 files you could reject the upgrade to Win 10 and then be left with the Win 7 updates. I started this and unfortunately ran out of disk space on the Win 7 partition.
    This crashed the whole system. I am able to boot the Win10 using the dual boot OS selection but cannot get to the Win 7 partition. I can't even repair the Win 7 as the repair disk is not recognised to restore my image backup.

What is the correct way to deal with this "Get Started" dialog to prevent the download of Win 10.

I am still recovering the machine and may have to go back to first principles and re-install the Win 7 all over again but don't want to get into the same problem.

:)

MacNala, Feb 12, 2016
  2. EdSmega Win User

can't get win 10 update started on win 7 system

Just Noticed, Itl thinks Acronis 2012 is still installed! Part of the uninstall was a reboot at the end, so I don't see how it thinks Acronis is still there.

EdSmega, Feb 12, 2016
  3. DBeckwith Win User
    can't get win 10 update started on win 7 system

Take a look at the date of the compatibility check on the bottom of the second screen.

I have a feeling it is not running the complete check each time you try to run the install.

DBeckwith, Feb 12, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 13, 2016
  5. MacNala Win User
    This answer does not answer the question.

MacNala, Feb 13, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It should help with what you asked.

What is the correct way to deal with this "Get Started" dialog to prevent the download of Win 10.

If not, please clarify. *Smile

Brink, Feb 13, 2016
  7. MacNala Win User
    When you Check for Updates in a Windows 7 system and get a dialog box titled Get Started there is also a link underneath it that says something like Show all available updates. If you click this it does show a number of updates. I then clicked the link to install them but got a Windows 10 download starting message. I thought that would be OK as I knew that I could reject the upgrade of the system to Windows 10. Remember this is a dual boot laptop with both Win 7 and Win 10 installed and both working fine.
    The problem started when it ran out of disk space in the Windows 7 partition.
    The resulting crash made the Windows 7 system unusable.
    I need to find a way to update the Win 7 system and NOT get the Win 10 download.
    IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH.

MacNala, Feb 13, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yep, just what I read in your first post. Do what I posted, and you won't have the Windows 10 update available in Windows Update anymore. *Wink

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 7 Updates Get Started problem - Similar Threads - Updates Started problem

2. Why I am not getting updates on win.7 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I am not getting updates on win.7 ?: i am not getting the updates on my computer,even try an outside downloader. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-am-not-getting-updates-on-win7/65264540-3f43-4ce8-8faf-bcd703d2daec
  3. Why I am not getting updates on win.7 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why I am not getting updates on win.7 ?: i am not getting the updates on my computer,even try an outside downloader. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-am-not-getting-updates-on-win7/65264540-3f43-4ce8-8faf-bcd703d2daec
  4. Windows 7 start problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 start problem: windows 7 restart on resuming windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-start-problem/e87dfc8e-6bb1-46ae-8baa-4b97ce5d10a0
  5. Windows 7 start problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 start problem: windows 7 restart on resuming windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-start-problem/e87dfc8e-6bb1-46ae-8baa-4b97ce5d10a0
  6. update win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update win 7 to win 10: When trying to update windows 7 pro to windows 10 home I get the message : We couldn't install Windows 10 0xC19101-0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation . what to do?...
  7. updating win 7 to win 10

updating win 7 to win 10: i have a dell desktop with win 7 pro. have tried 2 days to upgrade to win 10 with no success. when checking for updated it tells me i have to unistall avira anti virus. done that, plus download trouble shooter to no avail. looking for advice...
  8. Win 7 to Win 10 screen problem

Win 7 to Win 10 screen problem: Not sure if this is the correct forum for help but since recently upgrading on my 7 year old Dell Inspiron Laptop I have had an intermittent problem with the screen turning to greyscale, vertical lines and an almost split screen. I can just about make out the app that might...
  9. Win 7 Win 10 upgrade problem.

Win 7 Win 10 upgrade problem.: When I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 in 2016 everything worked OK but I couldn't type in the search field for Edge or Cortina. I couldn't find a solution online before the back out period expired so I backed out of the update. I have continued using Win 7 since then. I would...
  10. Update win 7 to win 10

Update win 7 to win 10: Well after a success with my 8.1 desktop I have upgraded my win 7 laptop all went well note this upgrade takes three hours worked ok for a while & for some reason apps would only stay open for a second or two very strange decided to do restart it now seems to be working ok,...