Windows 10: win defender boot time scan

Discus and support win defender boot time scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am running 1903 on 3 laptops and have not been able to get Window Defenders boot time scan to work on any of them. I assume this being that their is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarshallD'Arcy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. win defender boot time scan

I am running 1903 on 3 laptops and have not been able to get Window Defenders boot time scan to work on any of them. I assume this being that their is no clear visual indication that one is running as it supposedly scans and no where in the log does it indicate that a successful scan has occurred as well as the time of completion is very quick like 10 seconds. I have not even been able to get Windows Defender to scan in "safe mode" in two of the laptops and I have not tried on the third laptop. I go to the Settings>Update&Security>Windows Security>Open Windows Security> and get a blank screen when I am in "safe mode" and this occurred on both laptops.

If I go to Event Viewer>Application and Services Log>Microsoft>Windows>Windows Defender>Operational I get a message as follows

"Windows Defender Antivirus Configuration has changed. If this is an unexpected event you should review the settings as this may be the result of malware."

Please try to understand the reason for knowing that boot time scan is working is because you might have to use it or have to use it. The reason I try to use it is not important what is important is that it works if and when I get infected so information about the reason it may not work is not useful however how to get it to work every time with out fail is useful. Being that I would never check this log, an had problems finding this information in the log, the assertion of "if this is an unexpected event" seems a bit cruel and an indication that their seems to be a bit of a confusion as to why one would run a boot time scan.

I have run DISM using all 3 of it's main command line options and then after that I run sfc /scannow which I have done on all the computers that I have updated to 1903.

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender/Operational
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender
    Date: 6/25/2019 5:34:18 AM
    Event ID: 5007
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords:
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: LAPTOP-N13L026S
    Description:
    Windows Defender Antivirus Configuration has changed. If this is an unexpected event you should review the settings as this may be the result of malware.
    Old value: N/A\Scan\OfflineScanRun =
    New value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan\OfflineScanRun = 0x0
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender" Guid="{11cd958a-c507-4ef3-b3f2-5fd9dfbd2c78}" />
    <EventID>5007</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-06-25T10:34:18.913730000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>124</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4128" ThreadID="3740" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender/Operational</Channel>
    <Computer>LAPTOP-N13L026S</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="Product Name">%%827</Data>
    <Data Name="Product Version">4.18.1905.4</Data>
    <Data Name="Old Value">N/A\Scan\OfflineScanRun = </Data>
    <Data Name="New Value">HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan\OfflineScanRun = 0x0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

NO error message that does not present itself right now in a boot time scan is acceptable.

How can I get the boot time scan in Windows Defender to work?

:)

MarshallD'Arcy, Jun 25, 2019

2. Windows Defender Scans

Windows Defender is set to scan weekly but every time I boot up I get the message "Windows Defender needs to scan your computer". Sometimes I boot up once a day, sometimes I boot up 3 or 4 times in a day - has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening.

I am running Windows 10 (updated) and have CCleaner 5.25 - some suggestions say to un-check Windows Defender in CCleaner- but Windows Defender is not listed anywhere in CCleaner (I have gone through all the subheadings).

<Moved from Windows>

LesleyBate, Jun 25, 2019
  3. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Jorge Tan Win User

win defender boot time scan

offline scan by win defender

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern with Windows Defender, follow the steps below:

• Open the Run window by pressing Window + R button.
    • Then type services.msc and hit "Enter".
    • Look for Windows defender service in the list and right click on it and select start.
    • Once Windows defender is opened try to do the offline scan on that window.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

win defender boot time scan

1. win defender boot time scan - Similar Threads - defender boot scan

2. Win Defender will not scan?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win Defender will not scan?: I have an older Toshiba Win 10 laptop. The Defender settings says no actions needed and all the green checks. However, I've never known that it wouldn't run a full scan, or a quick scan whether it says no actions needed or not. In Services it says it's on Automatic. I've...
  3. Win Defender will not scan?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win Defender will not scan?: I have an older Toshiba Win 10 laptop. The Defender settings says no actions needed and all the green checks. However, I've never known that it wouldn't run a full scan, or a quick scan whether it says no actions needed or not. In Services it says it's on Automatic. I've...
  4. Win Defender will not scan?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Defender Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender Scan: How can I get Defender to Scan for Trojans and Virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-scan/083ea49b-dc6b-4b9b-b941-272a63df8f53
  6. Defender Scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender Scan: How can I get Defender to Scan for Trojans and Virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-scan/083ea49b-dc6b-4b9b-b941-272a63df8f53
  7. Defender Quick Scan runs all the time.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Quick Scan runs all the time.: Split from this thread. Im having the same problem quick scan just runs and runs, I update windows pretty much everytime I start up. it appears to be up to date...
  8. No results for Win Defender Offline Scan....WHY?

No results for Win Defender Offline Scan....WHY?: No results for Win Defender Offline Scan....WHY? Memory Integrity will not start....NEW computer. HP 17.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/no-results-for-win-defender-offline-scanwhy/d85fb507-90bb-4159-b2a8-2266b9931979
  9. Windows Defender boot time scan.

Windows Defender boot time scan.: I am running 1903 on 3 laptops and have not been able to get Window Defenders boot time scan to work on any of them. I assume this being that their is no clear visual indication that one is running as it supposedly scans and no where in the log does it indicate that a...
  10. Windows Defender takes longer time to scan

Windows Defender takes longer time to scan: Hello! after the upgrade of windows 10, I tried to run a full scan, but it took 6 hours and it hasn't trepasses the 50% of the scan progress. in addition, I can't see what is being scanned like in the older version of Windows Defender; 90456