Windows 10: Win Defender not clearing threats

Discus and support Win Defender not clearing threats in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been using Win Defender on Win Version 2004 for some time. It recently has had strange behavior. I ran a full scan and Defender identified... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dsscottage, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Win Defender not clearing threats

I've been using Win Defender on Win Version 2004 for some time. It recently has had strange behavior.

I ran a full scan and Defender identified several Potentially Unwanted Programs. They were mainly freeware program installation files. I clicked my chosen action for each but there was no indication that anything happened. I then looked for the identified files in File Explorer and manually deleted them. Nonetheless, Defender continued to identify the threat.

After manually deleting all the identified threats, I ran Defender again and the same threats were still identified even though the programs had been deleted.

I searched here and Google for this symptom but didn't find anything.

Any ideas?

:)

dsscottage, Sep 17, 2020
  2. Zehlewi Win User

Clearing Windows Defender history

Hey, what you need to do is so simple, just follow the steps below exactly in order:
    1. Turn OFF Real-time Protection
    2. Turn OFF Cloud-delivered Protection
    3. Go to this folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service
    4. Delete the contents in the folder
    5. Turn ON Real-time Protection
    6. Turn ON Cloud-delivered Protection
    That's it... Now check protection History, it's empty.
    Done!

Zehlewi, Sep 17, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

4. Geoffoh Win User

Win Defender not clearing threats

Can't run Windows Defender

Win Defender Security Centre lists my Virus and Threat Protection as disabled. The message reads "Your Virus & threat Protection is managed by your organization."

This happened a month ago and was resolved when I thoroughly removed Malwarebytes, though it and Win Defender had co-existed without trouble for some years. Now Malwarebytes is gone, no other antimalware software in place. Anyone suggest what could be
    disabling Win Defender?

Geoffoh, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

Win Defender not clearing threats

1. Win Defender not clearing threats - Similar Threads - Defender clearing threats

2. Defender won't clear threats and/or has caching issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender won't clear threats and/or has caching issue: I keep receiving notifications that Windows has detected multiple threats. I have attempted to delete/quarantine/clear cache and nothing I do is working. It still says there are "Current Threats".I received a notification of 3x Trojans see pic right below. I went to the file...
  3. Defender won't clear threats and/or has caching issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender won't clear threats and/or has caching issue: I keep receiving notifications that Windows has detected multiple threats. I have attempted to delete/quarantine/clear cache and nothing I do is working. It still says there are "Current Threats".I received a notification of 3x Trojans see pic right below. I went to the file...
  4. threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history in windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history in windows defender: after scan through window defender i still getting virus?threats . and these threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/threatsvirus-are-not-getting-cleared-from/7b286a3a-ef60-4ff6-ab10-51f9df8d568e
  5. threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history in windows defender

threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history in windows defender: after scan through window defender i still getting virus?threats . and these threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/threatsvirus-are-not-getting-cleared-from/7b286a3a-ef60-4ff6-ab10-51f9df8d568e
  6. Windows defender threat

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender threat: This excludeproc.d appears all the time and keeps coming back. How do I remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-threat/dc5f1201-3b62-45bf-b581-7b994a0143a5
  7. Win defender threat protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win defender threat protection: received this email yesterday believe it is a scam but want to be sure. We Are Renewing It For YouDear users,your Personal Subscription With Threat Protection Will Expire Today. The Subscription Will Be Auto Renewed, Order # HG65765456 Product DescriptionAccount Type:...
  8. Win defender threat protection

Win defender threat protection: received this email yesterday believe it is a scam but want to be sure. We Are Renewing It For YouDear users,your Personal Subscription With Threat Protection Will Expire Today. The Subscription Will Be Auto Renewed, Order # HG65765456 Product DescriptionAccount Type:...
  9. Win defender threat protection

10. Defender notified threat.

Defender notified threat.: As my AV am using Kasperski free plus MBAM free. Also have set up Defender to do periodic scans (there being no conflict) Defender has notified a threat and quarantined it. Neither Kasperski or Mbam reported it. Link below for info on threat. Spyware:Win32/WebHancer.A...