Windows 10: Win does not prompt for an Admin password in a Standard account

Discus and support Win does not prompt for an Admin password in a Standard account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have two accounts - Administrator & Standard. When I login to the standard account and tried accessing the admin folders (C:\Users\Admin...), it... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Nzyme, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Nzyme Win User

Win does not prompt for an Admin password in a Standard account

I have two accounts - Administrator & Standard. When I login to the standard account and tried accessing the admin folders (C:\Users\Admin...), it asked me for my admin password initially. However, after entering the correct password, I was able to access the files and folders under the admin account.

Now, after several days and multiple shutdowns/restarts, whenever I login to the standard account and click on the admin folders (Desktop, Music, etc.), I am directly able to see the folder contents without windows asking me for an admin password. I would like Windows to ask me for the admin password each and every time an admin folder is accessed from the standard account. Please advise.

:)

Nzyme, Apr 4, 2017

2. i lost administration account by replacing it by guest account

Some time ago, I created an admin account and a local account and gave both a password, then, I switched the admin account into guest account completely forgetting to turn the other local account into a admin.

Now, whenever I try to do something that is beyond a standard account's power to, Window 10 with ask me to type in a admin password, but there is no where to type in the password. The box to type in is not there!

When I tried to turn my standard account into a admin, create a new account, or anything to do with a account, Vista will prompt me for a password which I cannot provide and have no where to provide to. Command prompt to enable the hidden admin
    does not work too.

So can someone please help me to turn my standard account now to an admin!? Urgent!

bharatpal singh, Apr 4, 2017
  3. Shivam_S Win User
    Messed up the accounts on Windows.

Hi,

As far as i remember, whenever i try to do things under standard account like uninstall a program ,it asks for password which i didn't knew and i thought there would not be a password prompt under admin account.Even for standard account to make it an admin
    account ,it asks for password.When i knew that password is blank,then i managed to disable built-in-admin account.

Shivam_S, Apr 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Suggest:
    Logged in as admin, go to C:\Users\<your admin folder> in file explorer

and rt click it, Properties, Security.

My admin account shows only
    System
    <my account>
    Administrators

You may have somehow set up permissions for Everyone or Users, for example.

dalchina, Apr 9, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    I don't think you can do that. Windows' behaviour when you first try to access a folder for which you don't have permission is to ask if you want to grant permanent access. For a standard user the UAC prompt will ask for an admin password to do this. You can revoke the permission later by deleting the added user account from the permissions for that folder if you wish.

In this example User is a standard account and Maintenance is an administrator. Signed in as User we get...

Win does not prompt for an Admin password in a Standard account [​IMG]

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win does not prompt for an Admin password in a Standard account - Similar Threads - does prompt Admin

2. Blocked admin account by standard account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocked admin account by standard account: Hi ! please someone help me i need to tell you that i was setting some fuctions for me ..... ya i know i stupid but somehow i changed my account type to standard and block admin account ....i can't get admin powers and admin account is gone somewhere i need help please :...
  3. Blocked admin account by standard account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocked admin account by standard account: Hi ! please someone help me i need to tell you that i was setting some fuctions for me ..... ya i know i stupid but somehow i changed my account type to standard and block admin account ....i can't get admin powers and admin account is gone somewhere i need help please :...
  4. auto input admin account password UAC prompts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    auto input admin account password UAC prompts: Dear SirHelloI have windows 10 Version 10.0.19044.1889I have two accounts , built in administrator account "administrator" , Another administrator account "PC"computer\administrator and computer\pcI configured UAC in local security policy "prompt for credential" "behavior of...
  5. auto input admin account password UAC prompts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    auto input admin account password UAC prompts: Dear SirHelloI have windows 10 Version 10.0.19044.1889I have two accounts , built in administrator account "administrator" , Another administrator account "PC"computer\administrator and computer\pcI configured UAC in local security policy "prompt for credential" "behavior of...
  6. auto input admin account password UAC prompts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?: Seems like the recommendation is to use a user account when logging to leaving the admin account to make changes to the computer. However, if the UAC (user access control) is set to always notify and the registry is set to always require a password. Does this fulfil the same...
  8. Reset Admin password on a standard user account??

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset Admin password on a standard user account??: I bought a refurbished computer for my employer. It had a ADMIN account set up with no pass word associated with the account so I created one. I might have had a error in my pass word because I can no longer log into that account. I did create another account that I was...
  9. Admin Password with Standard User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin Password with Standard User: I don't know the admin password and I have a standard account! Can someone please help me?????????????!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-password-with-standard-user/69ab0540-cab7-4199-b339-04cb7d920478
  10. Was not prompted for admin password during install (Standard user)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Was not prompted for admin password during install (Standard user): I just installed an update for the Vypr VPN software. I am a Standard user, but there was no prompt to enter admin credentials to proceed with the install. I verified that I am a standard user in settings. I installed another program just 5 minutes before this one that DID...