Windows 10: Win Firewall - How does it know good from bad?

Discus and support Win Firewall - How does it know good from bad? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Until I went to Win 8 some years back I'd always used Zonealarm but with the advent of Win 8 and 10 advice seem to be that the inbuilt Windows Firewall... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sam Vimes, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

Win Firewall - How does it know good from bad?

Until I went to Win 8 some years back I'd always used Zonealarm but with the advent of Win 8 and 10 advice seem to be that the inbuilt Windows Firewall was just as good so I've been using that. The one thing that's always concerned me is whether or not it actually works as well as there's never any evidence of it stopping incoming and/or outgoing traffic. Which may be a good thing anyway.

I've had a look at the advanced settings for Inbound and Outbound rules and while some of the programs I've installed have rules there are a good many I have that don't appear anywhere. Also the rules for those in the list have been determined by MS presumably but how - and always seem to be set to Allow - nothing is blocked, which could mean that I'm careful about what I install I suppose.

Does MS keep a list back home of all programs we're likely to have and then makes a unilateral decision to build a rule for them?

The thing I liked about Zonealarm was that you could set it to prompt the first time a program or service wanted access to the internet and you could make a decision to allow or block, either temporarily or permanently. I personally found this useful as there were some programs that didn't need access to the internet to run but did try to 'phone home' and I prefered to block these.

Just as an aside - I have just uninstalled a program but its network sync service is still running. Zonealarm showed this but not Windows Firewall. Now I can find the service and remove it manually.

BTW: I've run GRCs Sheilds up with and without the Firewall on and there's very little difference in the results

:)

Sam Vimes, Nov 25, 2020

2. Good Antivirus + Firewall

I would never put anything Norton on my computer.

Nod32 is arguably the best antivirus. AVG is likely not as good, but it's free and at least pretty good.

Firewalls, I'd put Comodo and whatever "Tiny Personal Firewall" is named nowadays on your short list. I think Kerio might have sold it now and it's named something else. Otherwise, just put Comodo on your short list. I think the current version's ease of use has taken a step backwards, seems a bit counter-intuitive when trying to do certain things with it, but overall it does a good job and the price is right.

Deusxmachina, Nov 25, 2020
  3. oemSoft Win User
    Is window 10 firewall 1 way or 2 way?

I would like to know on how to create a white and black lists for firewall, so whenever any unknown traffic, it pops up and request permission and add into white or black lists in order to control and monitor and where to backup those lists as well.

On the other hands, there are windows firewall and windows defender, is there any difference in term of firewall?

Do you have any suggestions on whether win 10 Firewall has this feature or not?

Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

oemSoft, Nov 25, 2020
  4. Win Firewall - How does it know good from bad?

good programs gone bad

list all the programs here that you know was good but is now bad

skellattarr, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

Win Firewall - How does it know good from bad?

1. Win Firewall - How does it know good from bad? - Similar Threads - Firewall does bad

2. Automatic Updates Good or Bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Updates Good or Bad?: Hello.So, since Windows XP, there was an automatic updates feature. But I'm one of those people who DON'T like it. I just want to see your opinion about this feature....
  3. what does gpu % mean is it good or bad in task manger

in Windows 10 Customization
    what does gpu % mean is it good or bad in task manger: is some games my gpu % is low and some high it high good or bad gpu 30 % bad or good please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-gpu-mean-is-it-good-or-bad-in-task/b7bccc09-3136-48f3-afd9-10dd4649c498
  4. A good but A BAD update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A good but A BAD update: Hi!Yesterday I updated my windows from Win7 to Win10.When i opened windows explorer I saw that my disk D: is missing..I tryed to update the drivers or search for it in Disk Management but i can t find it. I opened the command prompt and type diskpart..Here i search for my...
  5. signing in as administrator, good or bad?

in Windows 10 Customization
    signing in as administrator, good or bad?: I've been told I should not be signing in as an administrator on my laptop when I'm going to be using the internet. Is that true? If so, how do I sign in on my laptop without administrator privileges?...
  6. Good pc, bad fps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Good pc, bad fps: My specifications: Rtx 2080 ti I7 8700k 32 gb ram 240 gb ssd(windows installed on there) 2tb hard drive I have a problem. I got my pc a year ago and everything was fine. Then a problem started where i got very bad fps in all games. Then I discovered that if i put my pc to...
  7. How to export rules from Win Firewall?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to export rules from Win Firewall?: How can one export one's own rules from Win Firewall? And how can one import them (e.g. to a new computer or to the same one if a re-install of Win is necessary)? [img] 72484
  8. Does anyone know how to get to Win 10 Firewall exceptions?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does anyone know how to get to Win 10 Firewall exceptions?: I need to add and remove certain exceptions but I cannot find out how to get there. Can anyone help please. 7063
  9. one good one bad

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    one good one bad: I have two pc's running W10, one updated to 10049 while I was having dinner by itself without any help from me so I started up the other and set it to update and its been a disaster. At the moment, if I switch it on, eventually I get a message saying please insert your...
  10. Apps - The Good Bad & the Ugly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps - The Good Bad & the Ugly.: Hi, Not asking anyone to solve this problem really but just wishing to raise the subject of problematic Apps which for me are spoiling my satisfaction of Windows 10. Windows 10 for me is working fine and I like it. that is all but the Apps which are a complete pain. Here is...