Windows 10: Win+k shortcut not working.

Discus and support Win+k shortcut not working. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Since yesterday the win+k (Connect quick action) command has stopped working. All other win-key shortcuts work fine and so does the k-key.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Andretooo, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Win+k shortcut not working.

Since yesterday the win+k (Connect quick action) command has stopped working. All other win-key shortcuts work fine and so does the k-key.

Windows-version: 20H2
    Build: 19042.804
    PowerToys is installed.

submitted by /u/Andretooo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Andretooo, Feb 18, 2021

2. Win+K Shortcut not Working

I am finally breaking my habit of using Win+P first and think I may have seen an instance of this; i.e. an immediate Win+K not being responsive. My scenario is with an MWDA which shows that the connection is broken, e.g. because my tablet is on battery
    and was idle long enough that it decided to sleep. When this happened my first reaction (from dealing with the same symptom with my HDMI-2 for so long) was to press Win-P to find out what its state was. However, I soon realized that what I needed to
    do first was get reconnected and that is what the Win-K could do to reduce the number of steps. (The tablet's screen is usable fortunately but I anticipate getting into a situation where it is not and that will be when I will need to use Narrator for
    a workaround.)

So, here's an outline of what I will be doing when I see my MWDA waiting for a connection:

• Get out of the Lock screen (somehow)
    • Optionally Login after that or just press Win-K right there in the Login prompt
    • Click on the Win-K list item that represents the monitor
    • Wait for the connection to switch my session. To my surprise it actually remembers that I want to be using Second Screen Only, so all I may need to do is move a few windows and I am back in business.
    When step 2 failed I just used Win+P for its alternative. E.g. it did say PC Screen Only but now instead of just pressing End Enter (to select Second Screen Only) I need to press End,
    Tab, Enter to get another try at starting the wireless display connection (otherwise it would be switching to my HDMI-2 which is still plugged in but not being used). BTW
    Backtab only goes back to Second Screen Only; so no advantage to doing that; it would just be the same as the End to select the Second Screen Only option on the way to getting to the
    Connect to a wireless display link at the bottom.

Does any of this match your scenario?

HTH

Robert

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Feb 18, 2021
  3. Win+K Shortcut not Working

I probably should have been more specific about what I did for the testing of RunTimeBroker's Analyze Wait Chain...

• Sort by Image and check all instances of RunTimeBroker. FWIW I was surprised by how many there were but just doing it again now indicates to me that this will be normal now; e.g. I can remember when there was one, so this step would not have been required.
    • Once RunTimeBrokers are grouped at the top of the tab you can choose a different sort order. So, then sort by Threads descending.
    • Go though each RunTimeBroker and do the Analyze Wait Chain... on them.
    I suppose the only really essential parts of the procedure are 1 & 3. It's just that it seems more likely that a task which has the most threads will show a hung one.

I think this is going to be something else. It's strange that you can use Win+K but not Win+P and even stranger that you can't see any devices in your Win+K display. I suspect that's something more than
    a hung UI transition but am not a Windows 10 programmer and don't know either how it is supposed to work or what diagnostics would be available to help show that it was working the way it was supposed to work.

For example, right now I am on my MWDA Second Screen Only. Win-K shows that state. However, "Second Screen Only" is apparently not giving us a complete picture of the real state of my video system.
    There is nothing at all on my Tablet screen, so that is consistent with Second Screen Only but my real attached monitor is in its blank and static noise state. Heh. I just checked again. In fact, it is showing some windows that were previously open on the
    tablet. So, it looks as if "Second Screen Only" should really be known as "Second
    Screens Only" or "PC Screen Off"? Win-K and Win-P do not work on that other monitor, only on the MWDA one.

Bizarrely if I use either Win-K's Change Projection Mode (or Win-P) and switch to
    Duplicate all three screens show the same thing and the Win+K etc. work on them all. It's really only bizarre though because in my case my tablet is oriented in Portrait mode and that mode is
    then rendered on all three monitors (instead of seeing landscape on the two widescreen displays and something else on the tablet. So, continuing my list of misnamed features or incorrectly implemented functionality, it would seem that Duplicate doesn't really
    mean "duplicate the primary screen" but "duplicate whatever might be rendered on the native screen even though it is not primary and currently blank"?

What do your users use their laptop screen for? Could it be switched to Duplicate? In any case, see if you can do something using Duplicate for a workaround.

The next part of the implementation that I think we will need to examine is what is the state of the machine's Network adapters both for the normal case and for the problem case. I suggest using PowerShell
    for this

Get-NetConnectionProfile

Get-NetAdapter -IncludeHidden

For example, when I am using the MWDA the first command shows a Local Area Connection* being used (I assume somehow by the MWDA but don't know exactly how) and the second command can give further details
    about it (and about anything else which may be related) E.g. I have two which seem identical except for their Name and that seems to me to be a good opportunity to have the other one "Up" when it should really be "Disconnected" so the one that we want to
    be working does whatever it is supposed to do.

Then another thing that could be useful then is using the Network troubleshooter for Network adapters. E.g. if it listed the wrong "Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter" you could hope that it would discover that
    one should be disconnected. If it was showing the right one then I would have to change my hypothesis. ; )

HTH

Robert

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Feb 18, 2021
  4. Win+k shortcut not working.

Win+K Shortcut not Working

I currently have a teacher's laptop in front of me that I have finally gotten to fail in the same manner.

The laptop is not connected to anything except the wireless display.

When I turn on Narrator and try win+k, it says "Windows K" and nothing else. The connect screen is not showing up on any other window, it is just simply not doing anything. The laptop is still connected to the network, it has not dropped it's connection.
    The laptop was connected to the wireless display and suddenly, for no reason, dropped the connection to the display and then win+k would not work any more.

Win+Crtl+Shift+B makes the screen flash, but does not resolve the issue.

Leslie.Waller, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

Win+k shortcut not working.

1. Win+k shortcut not working. - Similar Threads - Win+k shortcut working

2. Win+shift+S shortcut doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win+shift+S shortcut doesn't work: Hello, I am using a windows 11 pc and the screenshot shortcut doesn't work. The app functions for the cropping part but the screenshot notification doesn't appear and I cannot save it nor copy it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and checking the settings but it...
  3. Shortcuts are not working such as shift+win+s, win +r.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcuts are not working such as shift+win+s, win +r.: recently i noticed my shortcuts have stopped working ive restarted my computer stuff like ctrl + a, ctrl + c, ctrl + v still work but not stuff like win + r or shift+win+si looked at a previous question *link below* but it did not work for me im unsure what to...
  4. Shortcuts are not working such as shift+win+s, win +r.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcuts are not working such as shift+win+s, win +r.: recently i noticed my shortcuts have stopped working ive restarted my computer stuff like ctrl + a, ctrl + c, ctrl + v still work but not stuff like win + r or shift+win+si looked at a previous question *link below* but it did not work for me im unsure what to...
  5. 8, I and K keys are not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    8, I and K keys are not working.: Hi,I have a Lenovo Thinkbook. The 8, I and K keys are not working. They are connected diagonally so it's assumed that it is one issue affecting all 3. Any suggestions? Could/should I open the laptop to check?TIA...
  6. Win + K keyboard shortcut not working in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Win + K keyboard shortcut not working in Windows 11: [IMG]If the Win + K keyboard shortcut is not working in Windows 11, then this post will help you. The Win + K key combination opens the Cast Screen menu, allowing users to connect to wireless displays and other peripherals. But recently, some users have complained that...
  7. Win 11 - desktop shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 - desktop shortcuts not working: Win 11 - My desktop is turning black screen with just the name of my shortcuts, but no icon. When I click on one I get an error message saying the link "" is invalid and to check the shortcut properties. In the properties, there's no path structure listed. If I power off the...
  8. Win 11 - desktop shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 - desktop shortcuts not working: Win 11 - My desktop is turning black screen with just the name of my shortcuts, but no icon. When I click on one I get an error message saying the link "" is invalid and to check the shortcut properties. In the properties, there's no path structure listed. If I power off the...
  9. Win+tab shortcut doesn't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win+tab shortcut doesn't work: Hi everyone, On my windows 10 "win+tab" shortcut doesn't work nor activity visualization button on the windows bar. However, if I create new desktop with ctrl+win+D combination it works. What is the problem? How I can fix it? Thanks, Francesco [Moved from It-It to...
  10. Lots of traction w/ these 2 K/B Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lots of traction w/ these 2 K/B Shortcuts: One can, absolutely, very quickly & easily, develop a real fondness for Win+v and Win+Tab! No need to articulate how & why they are both so useful, it's blatantly obvious, really. Great, functional access to Clipboard for the one and the convenience of seeing ALL desktops...