Windows 10: Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen

Discus and support Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HP Spectre 360 2 in 1, win 10 pro 64 bit with 8Gb memory. Trying to go to the start screen from desktop when I click the lower left win icon or tap the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by geebee33, Jan 17, 2018.

1. geebee33 Win User

Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen

HP Spectre 360 2 in 1, win 10 pro 64 bit with 8Gb memory. Trying to go to the start screen from desktop when I click the lower left win icon or tap the win key nothing happens. I believe it started happening after fall creators update. Strange part is: it is intermittent; I can start four or five times with no problem, then it happens again. If I start in safe mode all is normal and the next start (or 4 or 5) is normal, then it happens again. All I did was start in safe mode-I didn't change anything. Seems to be getting harder to correct lately. I mostly work from the Start Screen, all tiles are arranged in convenient groups for me so this is driving me crazy. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

:)

geebee33, Jan 17, 2018
  2. MLamonte Win User

need to uninstall Windows 10 - nothing is working including connect to internet

Win 10 can not recognize my modem to the internet - response is "cable, router connectivity is broken" drove - NOT TRUE - other Ipad & laptop Win 7 are fine - didn't upgrade yet and won't.

Start menu won't open, search web and microsoft won't open, notification icon won't open. I am an old 73yrs old lady and am not excited over new teckie gadgets.

I would like to uninstall WIN 10 and go back to WIN 7 home 64bit.

Thank you!

MLamonte, Jan 17, 2018
  3. Is Win 10 desktop supposed to look like Win 7?

Opening screen of the Win 10 update looks like this:

Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen [​IMG]

Everything works, but the desktop no longer looks as it did with Win 8 -- all those colorful square icons bunched over the desktop. Touch the right hand part of the screen and you'd be able to power off along with other options. All that's gone. Now, the
    start menu icon, as promised, is in the lower left and will pull up this:

Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen [​IMG]

Is that the way Win 10 is supposed to look?

marshaellison, Jan 17, 2018
Thema:

Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen

1. Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen - Similar Threads - key desktop icon

2. Start Menu won't open on Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open on Win 10: Hi all, I am using Win 10 on a HP All in One desktop. I cannot open the Start menu on the left side of the screen. The icon is there but when I click on it there's a little flash that says " Start" & nothing happens. I can right click it & it shows a list of options including...
  3. Start Menu won't open on Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu won't open on Win 10: Hi all, I am using Win 10 on a HP All in One desktop. I cannot open the Start menu on the left side of the screen. The icon is there but when I click on it there's a little flash that says " Start" & nothing happens. I can right click it & it shows a list of options including...
  4. Start Menu won't open on Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Win 10 won't start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 won't start: I am unable to start Win 10. I did a Reset the PC and it loaded Win 10 but did not restart. What else can I try, I have an old copy of Win 10, can I use it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-wont-start/98ccbcbd-c12e-4cb4-8cb5-87ecdc67796d
  6. Win + D won't return to desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win + D won't return to desktop: [ATTACH] Hello folks and folkettes! Quick question: whenever I open up a game (in this case Dota 2) and I wish to return to the desktop, by either pressing either CTRL+ESC or WIN+D or even ALT+TAB, the only thing that comes on top is the taskbar. Even if I click on Aero...
  7. No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...

in Windows 10 Customization
    No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...: It's all in the title. When I login, there are no desktop icons. If I click a few times the screen will flash and go back to how it was. Clicking on the Taskbar results in the same thing. I've tried opening task manager by ctrl Alt delete and by ctrl shift escape, but it...
  8. Desktop icons in win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons in win 10: Hello community. Wondering why half of my desktop icons have the new " Edge " green & blue swirl in place of the programs icon? Also how can I change them? Thanks for any help, Dave 150973
  9. Start menu & desktop icons won't work after Win 10 Automatic update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Start menu & desktop icons won't work after Win 10 Automatic update: Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 about a month ago. Two days ago my computer is all the sudden automatically downloading some Massive update that took a long time and rebooted my computer without prompting me. After the download was complete I was able to use my computer...
  10. Win 10 Pro Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Pro Desktop Icons: How can Microsoft be informed that its Customers are not pleased to have Windows Updates upset Desktop Icons, when Updating. I had a major Update yesterday ( 1703 OS Build 15063.296) and today I find all of my Desktop Icons (100) mixed up everywhere, which is not only...