Windows 10: Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives

Discus and support Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Because of a faulty driver, I tried to restore from a recent restore point. It failed, but on reboot I got BSOD THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HotTuna, Aug 30, 2020.

1. HotTuna Win User

Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives

Because of a faulty driver, I tried to restore from a recent restore point. It failed, but on reboot I got BSOD THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER and CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. Win Startup Repair reboot and Automatic Repair, reset and reinstall all failed.

CMD shows that the C: and D: drives have been reversed. Meaning data on C: are now in a corresponding folder on D:

I am able to copy files to USB, but is this repairable? Don't know where to go.

:)

HotTuna, Aug 30, 2020

2. Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Issue:

Error (blue screen) when booting with stop code (DE Stillstandcode) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Computer restarts automatically and then freezes with message “automatic repair being prepared” (DE “Automatische Reparatur wird vorbereitet”). After manual
    shut down, the same happens all over again.

System:

Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL with pre-installed Windows 10 (updated to latest version / fixes) with two drives:

128 GB SSD with Windwos and program files (C: “Windows-SDD”)

1 TB HDD as data storage (D: “Data”)

Reason:

Not clear. Just three days before a BIOS update (ALCN28WW V2.05) has been installed, after which the fingerprint scanner didn’t work any longer. Lenovo support suggested to reset BIOS to defaults and re-install driver, which did not solve the problem,
    but at least the computer still worked. After another restart, the issue occurred.

Troubleshooting:

1) Loaded default settings in BIOS again
    no change.

2) Booted from Win 10 installation USB flash drive, chose repair options (DE “Computerreparaturoptionen”), then troubleshooting (DE “Problembehandlung”), then start help (DE “Starthilfe”)
    PC could not be repaired; then chose advance options (DE “Erweiterte Optionen”), command prompt (DE “Eingabeaufforderung”); change to drive C: and D: and could see that all directories are still there, BUT DRIVE LETTERS
    ARE SWITCHED: C: shows as “Data” holding all directories formerly under D:, and D: shows as “Windows-SDD” holding all directories formerly under C:

Pretty sure that this switch of drive letters is related to the issue (Windows probably tries to boot from C:, which is the wrong drive now), not idea how this came, and no idea how to switch it back to make Win work again.

Thanks for any helpful suggestion!

Wolfgang Soundso, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    Win 10 Parallel Installation - Win 8.1 in C: Drive & Win 10 in D: Drive

You can do this but it is a little trickier. Here is my advice:

• If I understand correctly, you have 2 partitions at this moment: a drive C were your current windows resides and a drive D, probably with your files (this is also my setup)
    • The first step will be to create a partition for Windows 10 (cut part of drive D). You can do this in disk manager. If you don't know how, please ask and I will give you the details
    • Create a system image of your current Windows
    • Upgrade your current Windows to Windows 10 (you cannot skip this part if you want the free upgrade)
    • Restore your previous Windows to it's current location (partition)
    • Do a clean install of Windows 10 in the partition you reserved in step 2
    Windows 10 will see that you have another windows installation and add it to the boot manager. At this point you will be able to boot both Windows versions

Andrei V., Aug 30, 2020
  4. Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives

Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did as suggested, but it did not solve the problem.

Not sure from which drive I'm supposed to execute the commands and if this matters at all. When entering command prompt mode, I was on drive X: and can change to C: and D:, I executed first on C:, then on D:, with same result:

BOOTREC /FIXMBR -> process completed

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT -> access denied

BOOTREC /scanos -> 0 Windows installations found

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd -> 0 Windows installations found

As indicated in my original post, drive letters C: (was originally the SSD with Windows and program installations) and D: (was originally the HDD holding data) have somehow switched. When I go to C: in command prompt and execute DIR, it shows me all the
    content that was supposed to be on D: and vice versa.

That means, I can find the Windows directory that was supposed on C: under drive letter D: now, which might be a symptom of the issue, or the root cause.

So might it help to switch back drive letters C: and D:, and how can this be done?

Thanks and regards.

Wolfgang Soundso, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives

1. Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives - Similar Threads - Restore failed SWITCHED

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  4. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  6. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  7. C drive and D drive switches up

8. Switch up my C and D drive

Switch up my C and D drive: Hello, I have decided to reinstall my Windows 10, because previously my windows has installed on C drive - which is for some reason 1TB HDD, and then D drive - which is 128 SSD. I would like to ask how can I switch these two so my windows can install on SSD marked as C...
  9. How to switch C: and D: drive

How to switch C: and D: drive: Hi all! I have this weird problem where my C: drive is de HDD and the SSD in my system is the D: drive. Yesterday I used the paid version of AOMEI to clone the Windows 10 system to the SSD. That worked for the evening. Today, when I booted my system up, everything was...
  10. C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade: Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this. So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware). Today I was fiddling around and customizing it, when I noticed that all of my files that were previously saved on my C: Drive were...