Windows 10: Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives

Discus and support Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Because of a faulty driver, I tried to restore from a recent restore point. It failed, but on reboot I got BSOD THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HotTuna, Aug 30, 2020.

1. HotTuna Win User

Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives

Because of a faulty driver, I tried to restore from a recent restore point. It failed, but on reboot I got BSOD THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER and CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. Win Startup Repair reboot and Automatic Repair, reset and reinstall all failed.

CMD shows that the C: and D: drives have been reversed. Meaning data on C: are now in a corresponding folder on D:

I am able to copy files to USB, but is this repairable? Don't know where to go.

:)

HotTuna, Aug 30, 2020

2. Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Issue:

Error (blue screen) when booting with stop code (DE Stillstandcode) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Computer restarts automatically and then freezes with message “automatic repair being prepared” (DE “Automatische Reparatur wird vorbereitet”). After manual
    shut down, the same happens all over again.

System:

Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL with pre-installed Windows 10 (updated to latest version / fixes) with two drives:

128 GB SSD with Windwos and program files (C: “Windows-SDD”)

1 TB HDD as data storage (D: “Data”)

Reason:

Not clear. Just three days before a BIOS update (ALCN28WW V2.05) has been installed, after which the fingerprint scanner didn’t work any longer. Lenovo support suggested to reset BIOS to defaults and re-install driver, which did not solve the problem,
    but at least the computer still worked. After another restart, the issue occurred.

Troubleshooting:

1) Loaded default settings in BIOS again
    no change.

2) Booted from Win 10 installation USB flash drive, chose repair options (DE “Computerreparaturoptionen”), then troubleshooting (DE “Problembehandlung”), then start help (DE “Starthilfe”)
    PC could not be repaired; then chose advance options (DE “Erweiterte Optionen”), command prompt (DE “Eingabeaufforderung”); change to drive C: and D: and could see that all directories are still there, BUT DRIVE LETTERS
    ARE SWITCHED: C: shows as “Data” holding all directories formerly under D:, and D: shows as “Windows-SDD” holding all directories formerly under C:

Pretty sure that this switch of drive letters is related to the issue (Windows probably tries to boot from C:, which is the wrong drive now), not idea how this came, and no idea how to switch it back to make Win work again.

Thanks for any helpful suggestion!

Wolfgang Soundso, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    Win 10 Parallel Installation - Win 8.1 in C: Drive & Win 10 in D: Drive

You can do this but it is a little trickier. Here is my advice:

• If I understand correctly, you have 2 partitions at this moment: a drive C were your current windows resides and a drive D, probably with your files (this is also my setup)
    • The first step will be to create a partition for Windows 10 (cut part of drive D). You can do this in disk manager. If you don't know how, please ask and I will give you the details
    • Create a system image of your current Windows
    • Upgrade your current Windows to Windows 10 (you cannot skip this part if you want the free upgrade)
    • Restore your previous Windows to it's current location (partition)
    • Do a clean install of Windows 10 in the partition you reserved in step 2
    Windows 10 will see that you have another windows installation and add it to the boot manager. At this point you will be able to boot both Windows versions

Andrei V., Aug 30, 2020
  4. Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives

Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did as suggested, but it did not solve the problem.

Not sure from which drive I'm supposed to execute the commands and if this matters at all. When entering command prompt mode, I was on drive X: and can change to C: and D:, I executed first on C:, then on D:, with same result:

BOOTREC /FIXMBR -> process completed

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT -> access denied

BOOTREC /scanos -> 0 Windows installations found

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd -> 0 Windows installations found

As indicated in my original post, drive letters C: (was originally the SSD with Windows and program installations) and D: (was originally the HDD holding data) have somehow switched. When I go to C: in command prompt and execute DIR, it shows me all the
    content that was supposed to be on D: and vice versa.

That means, I can find the Windows directory that was supposed on C: under drive letter D: now, which might be a symptom of the issue, or the root cause.

So might it help to switch back drive letters C: and D:, and how can this be done?

Thanks and regards.

Wolfgang Soundso, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives

1. Win Restore failed but SWITCHED C: and D: drives - Similar Threads - Restore failed SWITCHED

2. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  3. Problems with c and d drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problems with c and d drives: Hello, I just purchased a notebook with an GB memory 128 GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. When transferring all my files onto the new computer, everything went to the onedrive, which doesn't have enough space either and I didn't want to use it. I figured out how to delete...
  4. Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched: Issue: Error blue screen when booting with stop code DE Stillstandcode INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Computer restarts automatically and then freezes with message “automatic repair being prepared” DE “Automatische Reparatur wird vorbereitet”. After manual shut down, the same...
  5. C: and D: drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  6. Switching Game download and install from C to D drive

Switching Game download and install from C to D drive: i recently bought sea of theives from the microsoft store and when it updated it came to my attention the game installed into the c drive not the d which is much bigger.. its telling me i have to clear up space but there is not the space to be cleared on c i need to know how...
  7. Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows): Hello, I ran out of space on my PC today so I went and got a new SSD and switched it out for the old SSD which was the C drive. I got the computer back up and running with Windows however now my SSD is drive D and my HDD is Windows C. Is there any way I can move everything...
  8. C Drive vs. D Drive

C Drive vs. D Drive: Hello--looking for some assistance with designating storage to the D drive on my computer. I have the settings arranged so that all new download content is supposed to go to the D drive--music, etc.--but it is still going to the C drive anyway. Thanks for any help!...
  9. Change "D" drive to "C" drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change "D" drive to "C" drive.: How do I copy all files on my "C" drive onto my current "D" drive (including bootup files and Windows 10), then change my "D" drive to "C" drive and my my old "C" drive to "D" drive?...
  10. C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade: Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this. So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware). Today I was fiddling around and customizing it, when I noticed that all of my files that were previously saved on my C: Drive were...