Windows 10: Win update or using Bitlocker caused desktop/ folders to be messed up?

Discus and support Win update or using Bitlocker caused desktop/ folders to be messed up? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Asus Zenbook UX305 Win 10 pro - I have an SSD drive that is partitioned C: Drive system and progams and D:drive data. On 14th March I was informed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Memsahib, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Memsahib Win User

Win update or using Bitlocker caused desktop/ folders to be messed up?

Asus Zenbook UX305 Win 10 pro - I have an SSD drive that is partitioned C: Drive system and progams and D:drive data. On 14th March I was informed that "Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2" was correctly installed. Current Version now: 20H2 19042.867. MS has also recently suggested that I use Bitlocker to encrypt my data drive. When all this was done and my PC restarted none of my icons were on my desktop and there was the message "D users desktop was not accessible location could not be found". I logged into D drive using my Bitlocker password and thinking it must be the Bitlocker causing the problems, I decided to unlock it and the drive is now unencrypted. But although my D:\Users folder shows on Quick Access and Libraries it is not when I check Drive D properties on this PC. I managed to move the desktop back to D:\Users but in the process several shortcuts of programs and games that I have installed no longer function and I have had to reinstall. What I am concerned about - is this mess due to the 20H2 update or was it Bitlocker or recent driver update? I am also getting a message on updates " Error accounted - A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep trying to install." Also a message " 2021-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001567)" and that " Intel Corporation - Display - 26.20.100.7325 (4)" was installed on 17th March there are several mentions of this driver sometimes with (2) sometimes with (3) and the one I have copied here with (4) - so could this be the problem? Any help would be appreciated. I have backups but would prefer not to have to reinstall. When I go to system restore the only two restore points are " windows installer modules" one installed on 14th and the other on 16th March. I hope this all makes sense to someone out there!

:)

Memsahib, Mar 17, 2021
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Mar 17, 2021
  3. ariefcfa Win User
    Bitlocker Causes Taskbar Pinned Apps Disappeared

Alright, the problem is the Desktop directory. Rather than force end explorer process which cause another issue, today i found it is better to moved Desktop directory back to C:\Users\username\Desktop and create a symbolic link to keep the desktop files
    secured with Bitlocker.

The steps are:

• Moved back Desktop directory to original location C:\Users\username\Desktop
    • Moved Desktop files to safe location (in this case to D:\username\Desktop)
    • Delete Desktop directory in step-1
    • Create Dekstop directory symbolic link using elevated command prompt:

code:

mklink /D C:\Users\username\Desktop D:\username\Desktop

This way the Taskbar Pinned apps - in my case - not disappeared unlike before.

Thanks

ariefcfa, Mar 17, 2021
  4. ariefcfa Win User

Windows 10 Possible Bug - Desktop behind Bitlocker causes Start Menu to malfunction

Alright, the problem is the Desktop directory. Rather than force end explorer process which cause another issue, today i found it is better to moved Desktop directory back to C:\Users\username\Desktop and create a symbolic link to keep the desktop files secured with Bitlocker.

The steps are:

1. Moved back Desktop directory to original location C:\Users\username\Desktop
    2. Moved Desktop files to safe location (in this case to D:\username\Desktop)
    3. Delete Desktop directory in step-1
    4. Create Dekstop directory symbolic link using elevated command prompt:

code:

This way the Taskbar Pinned apps - in my case - not disappeared unlike before.

Hope this help.

ariefcfa, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Win update or using Bitlocker caused desktop/ folders to be messed up? - Similar Threads - update using Bitlocker

2. Messed up my Desktop, Document and Picture folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up my Desktop, Document and Picture folders: I have a new PC and unknowingly selected "Start Backup" with OneDrive and messed up my folders with OneDrive. I thought OneDeive was just a backup like using a external hard drive. I quickly ranout of space in OneDrive and meesed up my folders, OneDrive changed the file...
  3. Messed up my Desktop, Document and Picture folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Messed up my Desktop, Document and Picture folders: I have a new PC and unknowingly selected "Start Backup" with OneDrive and messed up my folders with OneDrive. I thought OneDeive was just a backup like using a external hard drive. I quickly ranout of space in OneDrive and meesed up my folders, OneDrive changed the file...
  4. Peek At Desktop messed up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Peek At Desktop messed up: HI all,Another problem out of the box Of course, its windows! in my newly purchased dell XPS17 which runs on windows 10 pro, 11 gen i7, 32Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 3060.... $3400 in total!The peek onto desktop functionality, accessed through the peek button on the far right end...
  5. Peek At Desktop messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Peek At Desktop messed up: HI all,Another problem out of the box Of course, its windows! in my newly purchased dell XPS17 which runs on windows 10 pro, 11 gen i7, 32Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 3060.... $3400 in total!The peek onto desktop functionality, accessed through the peek button on the far right end...
  6. Peek At Desktop messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Desktop messed up on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop messed up on startup: Hello,I've been having an issue with my desktop icons arrangement for a while. Normally, I never use a predefined sorting method such as by name, size, item type... and custom sort the desktop icons myself. It used to work normally: I sort the icons, and they stay where they...
  8. Messed Up Main Folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Messed Up Main Folders: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sonbun_142 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvll1j/messed_up_main_folders/
  9. Bitlocker messed up my drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker messed up my drive: I started the encryption on an empty 1T Sata drive. I used the "Encrypt entire Drive" option. After 16 hrs it was till showing 0% Completed in the Bitlocker Drive Encryption window so I turned off the computer. When I restarted it the driver disappeared and it doesn't show...
  10. Messed up downloads folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Messed up downloads folder: Hi. I was checking on Microsoft Edge and was trying to change it's default download location to my Desktop. Now I couldn't find anything and so after some google'ing I saw a guide that instructs me to change something on my Downloads folder by going...