Windows 10: WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now

Discus and support WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there For some people there's still a need to run XP systems - even as VM's. To run XP VM's on the latest hardware and Linux kernels (KVM) -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 21, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now

Hi there

For some people there's still a need to run XP systems - even as VM's.

To run XP VM's on the latest hardware and Linux kernels (KVM) - forget about converting from VMWare / VBOX if you have those

Install again from new --- use Windows XP Pro with SP3 or later . For install the initial disk must be defined as IDE , the install cd must be set up as an ide iso cdrom and you need to set the chipset as i440FX not Q35 as XP will bomb out because it won't until after installation support AHCI. You need to set sound driver to AC97, and ensure the virtio iso is also enabled. USB needs to be USB2 as well. You can of course host these VM's on SSD's or Nvme's for speed - the Host I/O will ensure max throughput where possible.

Use Host CPU passthru in the setup.

Install the VM -- after boot just browse the virtio iso and wherever you find a folder xp select the i386 version and then simply right mouse click on the .inf or setup file select install.

Now shut down the VM, change the network adapter(s) to virtio, video qxl to qxl and re-boot

Now in control panel go to hardware and against any devices with a ? just click properties, update driver and unchecl connect to internet.

For a Browser use Firefox-esr version or Basilik / Pale moon. You will need IE8 to download firefox then you are in business.

I'm now 100% independent of VMWare / VBOX now (Thank goodness - and KVM is FREE). Even my Minidisc recorder is working again.

WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now [​IMG]

BTW running W2K19 server and WinXP together uses far less CPU resources than just the latest build of W10 alone - so there's definitely either a whole slew of diagnostic stuff that's being captured in W10 and being sent to Ms or there's a massive amount of boat or inefficient coding in it.

WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 21, 2021

2. How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.

I want to do this while using system resources.

The vm will be hosted on the same hardware. I will be using VMware's free vSphere hypervisor on the bare metal that the win 10 machine is currently on.

I have attempted to use the VMware stand alone converter but it fails.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ArmySithLord, Mar 21, 2021
  3. Old_hand Win User
    Using VMWare on Win 10.

This does come down to Win 10 Home version and Virtualization. I've been to
    VMWare Help and tried all the advice - nothing.

I had to Reinstall Windows on my (3 months old) office pc through no fault of mine [vide my problems earlier this month during
    Download].

Anyway, VMWare installed and worked fine before I had to
    Reinstall Windows. The new available Workstation 15 has gone up an improvement, and now I can't install
    VMWare Tools.

Here is what I've tried:

Checking that Virtualization hadn't been turned off in the BIOS
    - it hadn't.

Making sure that the CD/DVD was looking at the System and not the
    D: - in fact I tried both ways, and still the VMWare Tools service was greyed-out in the
    Virtual Machine.

VMWare suggested opening VMWare
    in Program Files (32-bit) and installing the Tools
    from there, but the program insisted that the XP Guest
    should be 64-bit and not 32-bit.

Can anyone help, please?

Old_hand, Mar 21, 2021
  4. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add VMware logo for VMware videocard

I am using a Windows 7 64-bit OS with VMware on it, on which I run various VMs.
    When running GPU-Z under a VMware VM, the videocard logo in GPU-Z is empty.
    I see that GPU-Z is aware VMware exists, looking at the stats here:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/stats.php

I suggest adding a VMware logo, since clicking the logo shows the GPU-Z About screen, and with no logo you can't click (although you can find the About screen in the system menu).
    Here is a good logo:

WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now photo.jpg

Thema:

1. WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now - Similar Threads - bit VM's convert

2. Reactivating win XP in vmware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating win XP in vmware: I have a vmware virtual wqin XP machine and I have been asked to re-activate it after over 10 years of use!. There is no reactivation number in Australia for XP. The 1800 number given asked for the code on my computer, then said those numbers were "invallid" and transferred...
  3. Reactivating win XP in vmware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating win XP in vmware: I have a vmware virtual wqin XP machine and I have been asked to re-activate it after over 10 years of use!. There is no reactivation number in Australia for XP. The 1800 number given asked for the code on my computer, then said those numbers were "invallid" and transferred...
  4. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  5. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  6. How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.: I want to do this while using system resources. The vm will be hosted on the same hardware. I will be using VMware's free vSphere hypervisor on the bare metal that the win 10 machine is currently on. I have attempted to use the VMware stand alone converter but it fails....
  7. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  8. Free Conversion tool from RUNNING machine to vmware VM

Free Conversion tool from RUNNING machine to vmware VM: Hi there Just in case some people might want to create VM's from their physical running machines this FREE tool from the main VMware Enterprise stuff can be used on Stand alone machines. Works fine as well --I've used it to create several VM's from running physical...
  9. VMWARE VM can now boot from USB stick / device

VMWARE VM can now boot from USB stick / device: Hi there. The latest version of VMWARE can now boot a VM from an external USB device (stick or HDD like an SSD etc. I mean here that the BOOT can be from the USB device --of course one has always been able to OPEN a VM which exists on an external device but until...
  10. VMWare VM in Hpyer V

VMWare VM in Hpyer V: HI Folks, Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't want Hyper V and VMWare working together on the same OS. . .bummer. . .*Tongue 43374