Windows 10: Win XP - Post SP3 - SP5 with AHCI, SATA, SCSI, Net3.5 etc etc , nlite

Discus and support Win XP - Post SP3 - SP5 with AHCI, SATA, SCSI, Net3.5 etc etc , nlite in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks I'm having a lot of fun (also with a lot of others) keeping this venerable old OS alive and decently fit to run on modern hardware . It's so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 28, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Win XP - Post SP3 - SP5 with AHCI, SATA, SCSI, Net3.5 etc etc , nlite

Hi folks
    I'm having a lot of fun (also with a lot of others) keeping this venerable old OS alive and decently fit to run on modern hardware . It's so much faster than current W10 and depending on what you need to do its still 100% safe if you incorporate everything until the EOL.

There's quite a lot of info in scattered areas of the web -- good place to start
    HOWTO create a XP SP4 DVD with all DriverPacks and some apps - RyanVM.net Discussion Board

The trick is of course to start with a decent XP iso, install nlite and slipstream all the drivers you need - driverpacks are still available.

I know some will say why bother - but this is quite fun and you do get to run a really fast slick version of Windows as a VM that customises nice and easily. Office 2003/2007/2010 runs like a charm on it -- unless you need the latest features of office -- usually the collaboration stuff these versions of office are probably good enough for 99% of typical "Officy tasks" - and even if you don't want office - outlook express is still IMO the best simple email client that I've ever used (and supports imap).

Firefox esr runs perfectly OK on it too. You don't need IE -- just slipstream it into the install.

Once I've done that and got it working - I'll switch to W2K3 server -- even faster OS !!!and apply the same modifications.

I'll try and make a decent project text for this (as well as running W2K19 server as a desktop Virtual Machine)

I've got a bit of time these days --and I do find it quite fun.

I'm finding messing around with W10 not so interesting any more -- doesn't seem to be much challenge in it - since new builds always seem to be breaking something and if one were to use nlite or equivalent it's difficult to know what components to leave out.

I might also look at WinXP 64 bit too -- a bit more complex though.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 28, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Windows XP SP3

Well if your laptop is like mine, it has a sata hard drive. Your problem is not that the hard drive is locked, its just that xp doesn't contain sata drivers. If your laptop has a floppy drive, ya can press f6 at the start of the install to install the additional drivers. Or research slipstreaming your sata drivers into your xp cd. There a program called nLite that makes it easy, though i hear it has problems with sp3 slipstreamed, might wanna do sp2 and then just run sp3 standalone.

thraxed, Mar 28, 2021
  3. installing win 7 & xp on laptop

If he wants to use XP then he may need to use nLite to slipstream AHCI drivers to his XP install. His laptop is new enough that the XP disc might not recognize his HD.

streetfighter 2, Mar 28, 2021
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows XP SP3

lies, I've installed XP on MY serial drive many times

Thema:

1. Win XP - Post SP3 - SP5 with AHCI, SATA, SCSI, Net3.5 etc etc , nlite - Similar Threads - Post SP3 SP5

2. Windows XP SP3 AutoLogon/Logoff

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows XP SP3 AutoLogon/Logoff: Hi Community,We are facing a very strange problem in our Windows XP SP-3. I have check the security events and found that user Auto Logon & Log Off are generated every 3-4 Seconds. There is only one user i-e Administrator configured on that machine. Additionally we have not...
  3. xp sp3 offline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xp sp3 offline: does anyone know if i can still download XP SP 3 Offline version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xp-sp3-offline/d4dd03f6-274b-4de7-9335-387814c8dee7
  4. xp sp3 offline

xp sp3 offline: does anyone know if i can still download XP SP 3 Offline version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xp-sp3-offline/d4dd03f6-274b-4de7-9335-387814c8dee7
  5. SATA AHCI controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SATA AHCI controller: Lately I have been using an older hp 15 laptop I have as my newer laptop is having some keyboard issues. My older laptop has plenty of issues on its own, not being able to update and stuff. Working on those issues myself, but opening task manager I notice cpu and disk are...
  6. DO NOT UPDATE to INTEL SATA AHCI from Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DO NOT UPDATE to INTEL SATA AHCI from Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI!!!: Yup, you heard me... Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI performs a lot better, and easy on the CPU fan than the Intel ACHI driver. I updated on two of my desktop pcs, one is stuck at startup diagnoses bootloop, and the other one is drying every bit of juice from the fan on...
  7. Windows cannot access etc. etc.

Windows cannot access etc. etc.: Am running WIN 10 Home with latest updates. When I try to access a programm, WorldNavaids, I get the following message. Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item. I have, in the properties section...
  8. Windows Defender and McAfee Internet Security etc. etc. etc.???

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender and McAfee Internet Security etc. etc. etc.???: Hello. First of all, on a scale from 1 to 10, my computer skills are about 3+/-. So be gentle please. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My IP gives me free McAfee Internet Security with my plan. I see so many conflicting views regarding the idea that all one...
  9. Win 10 Updates, Upgrades, etc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Updates, Upgrades, etc.: II am running Win 10 on an x64 - based system with an AMD-A6 quad-core engine. Lately I am encouraged to update using the Microsoft updating system and after all the code is added and my machine is meant to re-boot it does not. It hangs up in a never-never-land and won't...
  10. win 10 COAs & registration etc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 10 COAs & registration etc: Hi, I have one win 7 system and two win 8 systems. In essence I did a win 10 clean install, and as I had no new COA from MS, I assumed I could use my Win8.1 COA. Wrong! I am wondering if this is because of 2 possible reasons. (i) Although I pre-registered all three...