Windows 10: Win10 1607 update broke my customizations

Discus and support Win10 1607 update broke my customizations in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Seems the 1607 update is more of an upgrade and many customizations I had previously done have been reset to their default The first one I'm trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RPmtl, Nov 23, 2016.

1. RPmtl Win User

Win10 1607 update broke my customizations

Seems the 1607 update is more of an upgrade and many customizations I had previously done have been reset to their default

The first one I'm trying to fix is the volume UI.
    Is there a new way to change the new volume UI to the old style version?

I used to be able to go to:
    1. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
    2. Find key MTCUVC under CurrentVersion key.
    3. Set EnableMtcUvc value to 0

Well MTCUVC is no longer there. Can one still somehow revert back to the old style volume UI?

:)

RPmtl, Nov 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 | Can no longer customize folder icons in windows exporer?

Indeed CAC, MS went and broke something in Win10 1607 that was working perfectly ever since they introduced the custom icons feature. I know about all the workarounds and fixes (alternate copy utils like xcopy/robocopy/TeraCopy..., alternate file managers,
    re-customize folders, re-apply lost folder attributes etc. etc.) but I want to keep hammering at MS until they acknowledge and fix the bug in Explorer.

RobertJWin, Nov 23, 2016
  3. Error 1721 in Windows 10

I have a customer running into this when trying to install my application, can someone help me out with how to fix this on their system, seems like recent Win10 update broke more than it fixed. Thanks

Josh

JoshBurkeXRX, Nov 23, 2016
  4. RPmtl Win User

Seems the 'Restore Old Clock in Win10' is broken too

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell

Click on the Immersiveshell folder
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value
    Name it UseWin32TrayClockExperience
    Set the value to 1

No longer works.
    Tried logging off/on

RPmtl, Nov 23, 2016
  5. SonicBlue Win User
    Winaero Tweaker has an option to enable old volume control.

SonicBlue, Nov 24, 2016
  6. RPmtl Win User
    Thanks Win10 1607 update broke my customizations :)

Yes, the volume UI can still be reverted to the previous using Winaero Tweaker. But that same tool has removed the clock option as I assume it's been completely removed by MS. It will probably require an installer of some sort to restore the parts that are now missing.

I really hate digital clocks - they're so visually inadequate. If digital clocks are so much better we're still be wearing them on our wrists rather than tossing them in landfill sites with all the other failed ideas. A traditional watch face is so much clearer to understand. I had multiple clocks for different parts of the world and now they're sort of still there - but just as small digital clock entries. Ugh!

RPmtl, Nov 24, 2016
  7. mykou Win User
    You could use some clocks skins designed under Rainmeter

mykou, Nov 24, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Best approach is either not to hack OS features, as MS appears to be steadily working towards some sort of simplified standard - I'd guess so as to deploy Windows across a wide range of device types- limiting options of customising it- or if you do so, plan ahead so as to be easily readily able to reapply said customisation.

This would apply too to hacks exposing old programs (e.g. PhotoViewer) or features that for now are still present in the OS, but not made available as you've noticed. These could be removed at any point. (Anyone noticed there's still a Winmail folder present?)

OS hacks can be overridden by Windows updates, and typically by an in-place upgrade repair install, or a new major build upgrade.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 1607 update broke my customizations - Similar Threads - Win10 1607 update

2. Win10 to 11 update broke OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 to 11 update broke OS: So last night windows decided to update wihtout asking and woke up to srttrail.txt error and an infinite repair loop, i couldnt access safemode by any means.Pretty much tried everything and had to do a fresh install of win11 after it.Now im having a problem that the windows...
  3. win10 update lost alll my customizations

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 update lost alll my customizations: serious problem as my win environment is painstakingly customized to my liking - and all the programs now think i'm using them for the first time. while losing the settings win update also turned off system restore, so i can only get my setup back by restoring a backup -...
  4. Win10 Update Broke My Computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Update Broke My Computer: Hello! I am writing this after days of failed fix attempts. If you do not have enough time, skip to the important part (after this paragraph). It started a few days ago, after I updated my computer, I never realized it a few hours in. My computer kept freezing, I assumed it...
  5. Win10 update broke computer speaker

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 update broke computer speaker: Windows 10 Home The September update disconnected my Logitech Z337 computer speakers. When I turn it on, the speaker icon says "no speaker connected". The driver is up to date, and the speaker appears in Control Panel. Sometimes, the speakers will start working, but next...
  6. Custom theme broke my PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom theme broke my PC: I installed this custom theme for windows 10 https://www.deviantart.com/eversins/art/GreyEveTheme-FINAL-Windows-10-High-Contrast-Theme-643504863?offset=50#comments i didnt like it, so when i tried reverting to the default theme of windows 10, my file explorer got completely...
  7. 1607 - cannot update. win10 x64

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1607 - cannot update. win10 x64: Why hasn't Microsoft fixed this? I don't want to rebuild my system - I just want to keep it up to date! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/1607-cannot-update-win10-x64/39c6fc2c-48de-4531-83d2-e21a356e5273
  8. Win10 update beyond 1607 fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 update beyond 1607 fails: I have a Toshiba laptop, admittedly quite old, that is running 1607 quite satisfactorily - but updates to 1706 or 1 803 fail. The process runs for a considerable time, doing several reboots, but finally reverts to 1607 without any error messages - so I have little idea what...
  9. Question re update to win10 1607

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question re update to win10 1607: Yesterday my laptop was updated to Windows 10 1607. I'm having problems since that update. I now have no folder that simply says pictures...only "saved pictures". Also my virtual keyboard doesn't appear like it did before on start...a small problem, but the picture folder...
  10. WIndows 10 1607 broke my PC

in Windows 10 Support
    WIndows 10 1607 broke my PC: Hello, After updating my system I don't have an internet connection. My ethernet adapter is stuck on unidentified network. That's not even the biggest problem even. After using the PC for around 10 mins everything freezes and I have to restart it. What the hell is this...