Windows 10: Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu

Discus and support Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After installing the KB4471329 yesterday, I found the Setting gear inside the Start Menu no longer does anything. I am able to launch Settings from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Matthew1575, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu

After installing the KB4471329 yesterday, I found the Setting gear inside the Start Menu no longer does anything.

I am able to launch Settings from the All Settings button down by the clock, but that's it.

I've run the following commands in an attempt to get it to work:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Rebooted.

No change.

All other components of Win10 seems to be stable at this point.

Windows phone support was ZERO help because I didn't want to pay $500 for a support ticket due to an error from a Windows patch.

:)

Matthew1575, Dec 12, 2018
  2. CMTietgen Win User

IE11 Stops Responding On New Tab - Win10 CU

No. You are thinking of IE which allows us to open our first Home page in a new tab. The only options we are given in Edge are: Top sites and Suggested Content, Top Sites, and A Blank page. It is the latter that I was referring to and it is not About:Blank.

The issue is for IE11 and not Edge, but you're right. When I set the Homepage to "about:blank" and open a new instance of IE11 the 1st tab opens to "about:blank". Click the new tab button opens a new tab without "about:blank" and shows the "Frequent sites"
    screen.

On my Windows 10 , which hasn't been upgraded yet, I can open as many new tabs as I want using that button, but the use who has Win10 CU has IE11 stop responding every time.

My concern is that when our customers start getting the CU, they will start filing tickets with us for this issue and it's not an issue with out site, but with IE11 on Win10 CU.

Is there any way to prevent IE11 on Win10 CU from trying to open the "Top Sites" page when the new tab button is clicked?

CMTietgen, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Settings icon missing from the Start Menu in Windows 10

Hello Venkatesh,

This issue might have occurred if you have disabled the settings icon from the Start Menu. I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Click Start, type
      Start settings and click the Start settings in results

• Click "Choose which folders appear on Start"

• Enable "Settings" toggle button.

Hope this helps. Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance.

Arul_D, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Shenmue2 Win User

Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu

Win10 1709 start menu icon for all user

Dear,

As we need create Win10 Pro 1709 image for deploy remain PC in our company,
    i want to apply this settings and apply to all users,

"Settings" icon not show on start menu (red arrow as following attached picture)

Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu [​IMG]

In previous Win10 Pro 1607, i can turn off Setting icon in "Choose which folders appear on Start" ,
    after sysprep with copy profile=1 , it can apply in default setting / all new login user

Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu [​IMG]

But after upgraded to 1709 FCU, this method is not longer available ,
    Anyone know how to turn off this icon and set as default setting ?
    E.g. Registry key ? layout.xml ?

Thanks and Best Regards
    Silver Fox

Shenmue2, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu

1. Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu - Similar Threads - Win10 1709 December

2. Start Menu Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Button: My Start Menu button will not leave the corner even when I am in full screen on some other program [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button/c5a7c99c-090b-4c74-a246-a01a05a75bf8
  3. start menu button.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start menu button.: when I press start menu button the apps are all over the screen and theres no list of programs. Its a new laptop days old acer aspire 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button/cd973177-9c07-41bc-9018-11f19c89242c
  4. Windows 10 Pro 1709 CU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro 1709 CU: Hi , I'm facing below mentioned error when executing offline updates i.e KB4516066 and KB4512575 on Windows 10 Pro (1709) on Multiple System's. "This Update is not Applicable to your computer" Note:- It directly fetches 1809 version when I'm trying to update via online...
  5. Win10 1709 start menu icon for all user

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 1709 start menu icon for all user: Dear, As we need create Win10 Pro 1709 image for deploy remain PC in our company, i want to apply this settings and apply to all users, "Settings" icon not show on start menu (red arrow as following attached picture) [img] In previous Win10 Pro 1607, i can turn...
  6. Superfetch breaking start menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch breaking start menu: Hi all, Just made this account to see if anyone can help. I am running windows 10 on my desktop and the start menu broke on me. I did all the recommended fixes for it and that seemed to work for a few days then every time I would completely power down my desktop, the next...
  7. 1709 update - no cortana button under settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    1709 update - no cortana button under settings?: hello ive updated my laptop to 1709 and if i go to settings i see that new button "cortana" to set settings for cortana yet on my desktop computer i do not have this option under settings eventho i have the same 1709 version whats the reason for this? 98559
  8. CU and the start button again

in Windows 10 Support
    CU and the start button again: I thought my start button problem was fixed, at least it seemed to fix itself weeks ago and started working, now it has started again and this time I had to manually reboot computer. Has any headway been made about this problem that CU seems to have caused. 89618
  9. Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU: This might sound like a weird issue, but I can confirm it's not just me, and an inherent problem in the 1703 installation (at least using the MDSN ISO with Windows 10 Pro x64 selected.) Tried it on my laptop (which I wanted to upgrade from Anniversary to Creator's, and...
  10. Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons: My laptop comes up every time with the screen brightness WAY too low for my eyes. I can go to Settings and change it, but the Apply and Cancel buttons are grayed out. Every time I restart, or even when the PC goes into sleep mode, it's right back to the too dark screen....