Windows 10: Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer

Discus and support Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Until Win10 1903 I could type the first letter(s) blindly in file explorer and the first matching directory name (starting with this letter(s)) have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WTenNewbie, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer

Until Win10 1903 I could type the first letter(s) blindly in file explorer and the first matching directory name (starting with this letter(s)) have been marked.

Now, as soon as I start typing a letter, this letter goes into the searchbox in the file explorer and starts a lengthy search over directories and files, eventually showing ALL found entries.

How can I get back the old way to jump very fast to the first directory starting with my typed letter?

:)

WTenNewbie, Jun 3, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jun 3, 2019
  3. Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, Jun 3, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer

File Explorer - Search box

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Go to Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
    Troubleshooting. Click View all, and then click
    Search and Indexing.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to reset the Windows explorer. Please follow the steps:

1. Press
    Ctrl + Shift + Esc and locate for Windows Explorer.

2. Right click on the
    Windows Explorer and click on End task.

3. On top of the Task Manager click on
    File and click on Run new task.

4. Type
    explorer.exe inside the box and hit Enter.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer

1. Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer - Similar Threads - Win10 1903 Stop

2. Windows Search / Cortana Search: After typing a letter an dark field/box or overlay appears

in Cortana
    Windows Search / Cortana Search: After typing a letter an dark field/box or overlay appears: After I click the Cortana symbol left side bottom to activate Cortanas input field and I make any input for searching, a dark field appears. Just on the top of Cortanas menu I see the web results, other field is hidden bei the darkness. The same happens if i click...
  3. File Explorer Restarting when searching any file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Restarting when searching any file: Hi, when im at file explorer on windows 10, and you search in the search box any file, sometimes it just freezes, and automatically restarts the explorer.exe, i checked at the log viewer and it shows this. Nombre de la aplicación con errores: explorer.exe, versión:...
  4. File Explorer closes when searching for a file

File Explorer closes when searching for a file: In File Explorer, when I type an entry into the Search box, it momentarily shows results then File Explorer closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-closes-when-searching-for-a-file/2be6c0d9-16bb-479c-93ec-7f16e189223a
  5. windows search box stopped working

windows search box stopped working: after the last windows 10 update my windows search box stopped workin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-box-stopped-working/8f66a1d6-8559-414a-8db7-bdbb644aa326
  6. Search Box on Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Box on Internet Explorer: Ive just switched from Edge to IE and cant find the search box for IE. Pls. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/search-box-on-internet-explorer/53281b11-ce05-4457-98b2-80db16307cad
  7. Letters not appearing simultaneously when typed?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Letters not appearing simultaneously when typed?: Don't know if this is a hardware or computer problem, but think it is computer performance related problem. I have been using a MS Arc keyboard for the last three years with no problems until the last several months. Often times when the computer is first booted up, and for a...
  8. Unable to delete files when searching in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete files when searching in explorer: I cannot seem to delete files when I'm doing a regular search in windows. I can go to any folder and delete files, but I when I see the same files in a search result, pressing del does nothing and when I right click, I have no option to delete them like I do when I'm just...
  9. File Explorer never stops searching.

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer never stops searching.: Greetings all, Since upgrading to Windows 10, my file explorer never stops searching. All my files are displayed but the green search bar just keeps scrolling across the top. Anyone else having this issue? Paul 53398
  10. File type search?

in Windows 10 Support
    File type search?: Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may know that I created a Word doc about something a long while ago e.g. a year, but I don’t remember the name of it, and where I...