Windows 10: Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer

Discus and support Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Until Win10 1903 I could type the first letter(s) blindly in file explorer and the first matching directory name (starting with this letter(s)) have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WTenNewbie, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer

Until Win10 1903 I could type the first letter(s) blindly in file explorer and the first matching directory name (starting with this letter(s)) have been marked.

Now, as soon as I start typing a letter, this letter goes into the searchbox in the file explorer and starts a lengthy search over directories and files, eventually showing ALL found entries.

How can I get back the old way to jump very fast to the first directory starting with my typed letter?

:)

WTenNewbie, Jun 3, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jun 3, 2019
  3. Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, Jun 3, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer

File Explorer - Search box

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Go to Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
    Troubleshooting. Click View all, and then click
    Search and Indexing.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to reset the Windows explorer. Please follow the steps:

1. Press
    Ctrl + Shift + Esc and locate for Windows Explorer.

2. Right click on the
    Windows Explorer and click on End task.

3. On top of the Task Manager click on
    File and click on Run new task.

4. Type
    explorer.exe inside the box and hit Enter.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer

1. Win10 1903: Stop using search box when typing letters in file explorer - Similar Threads - Win10 1903 Stop

2. Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box: This morning I rebooted my PC because I couldn't get it out of sleep mode the monitor remained black. Everything seemed to come up normally. I noticed a process called Antimalware Service Executable, which I had never seen running before, hogging resources for an extended...
  3. Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
    Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box: This morning I rebooted my PC because I couldn't get it out of sleep mode the monitor remained black. Everything seemed to come up normally. I noticed a process called Antimalware Service Executable, which I had never seen running before, hogging resources for an extended...
  4. When using and typing into windows explorer search ,random letters, numbers and symbols are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When using and typing into windows explorer search ,random letters, numbers and symbols are...: When using and typing into windows explorer search ,random letters, numbers and symbols are showing. Keyboard works fine in all apps and browsers. When I use an app or browser then return to windows explorer search it will be correct for a couple of minutes before not working...
  5. When using and typing into windows explorer search ,random letters, numbers and symbols are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When using and typing into windows explorer search ,random letters, numbers and symbols are...: When using and typing into windows explorer search ,random letters, numbers and symbols are showing. Keyboard works fine in all apps and browsers. When I use an app or browser then return to windows explorer search it will be correct for a couple of minutes before not working...
  6. Can't type anything in the file explorer search box.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type anything in the file explorer search box.: Just that. I've tried resetting my notebook several times, but it didn't work. How do I fix this? Thanks. submitted by /u/CannedPeas_1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m1urbt/cant_type_anything_in_the_file_explorer_search_box/
  7. Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box: Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box. Search box is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-anything-in-file-explorer-search-box/b93f647a-cadc-4f4e-b7e2-fd1ac6c87e1c
  8. Can't Type into Windows File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
    Can't Type into Windows File Explorer Search Box: Hello, I have a Dell OptiPlex 3060 - Windows 10 Pro machine that is only about a year old and I am having issues where I cannot type into the search bar to look for any files. I simply cannot click into it. I've tried to do some research and have attempted the following but...
  9. File Explorer can't type Search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer can't type Search box: I cannot enter data in the File Explorer Search Box. This problem is annoying and reoccurring. I have "fixed" it several times but it keeps coming back. I can see online that many people have the same problem. It started about a month ago. Windows 10 When will this be...
  10. File Explorer search box stops working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer search box stops working: Hi - we're having a problem with File explorer search bar, whereby users find that randomly it locks up and stops allowing input. Currently the fix is to get the user to go to task manager and restart explorer.exe process, which is cumbersome. I wonder if anyone else faced...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. searching by typing windows 1903

2. how to search for riles in windows 10 1903

3. how to stop open file box showing list of files when typing first letter windows 10