Windows 10: Win10 1909 install on new M.2 SSD - move Recovery OEM Partition from beginning to end of...

Discus and support Win10 1909 install on new M.2 SSD - move Recovery OEM Partition from beginning to end of... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed a new 2TB M.2 SSD to replace my 1TB SATA SSD as my boot/primary OS drive and did a new Win10 1909 install on it. It created a 529 MB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EdisonZnd, Feb 6, 2020.

1. EdisonZnd Win User

Win10 1909 install on new M.2 SSD - move Recovery OEM Partition from beginning to end of...

I installed a new 2TB M.2 SSD to replace my 1TB SATA SSD as my boot/primary OS drive and did a new Win10 1909 install on it.

It created a 529 MB Recovery OEM Partition at the front of the drive followed by the EFI partition and then the Boot/Primary/Win partition. I know the Recovery partition is for the Win RE environment and I also know that major updates make new recovery partitions when the prior one runs out of space. I have on occasion deleted these partitions in the past and just made an USB for recovery. But now have plenty of space and I don't mind it on my drive. However, I would like it to be at the end of the drive and EFI to be at the beginning of the drive.

What is the easiest way to for me to move the EFI partition to the front of the drive and the start of the primary partition forward next to it?

I would then create a recovery partition at the end of the drive, most likely giving it a couple GB so that it will be a while before new ones are created by large updates.

Can I delete the Recovery partition and create a new 100MB partition at the front of the drive using diskpart and then use bcdboot to make it an EFI partition then delete the old EFI partition?

Not sure how I would move the start of the primary partition to take up the space behind the new EFI partition though.

Once that is done I think I know how to shrink the primary partition and create a new larger recovery partition at the end of the drive.

:)

EdisonZnd, Feb 6, 2020

2. win10 instalation on Intel ssd 600p, m.2

hi guys,

i'm trying to install win10 on my Intel m.2 ssd 600p series and i get this error when i select the ssd in instalation menu: ''we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. for more information, see the setup log files''. can u provide some
    help about that? my laptop in lenovo y700 17isk.

IacobIonut, Feb 6, 2020
  3. M.2 SSD Partitioning

My OS is installed on an 128GB SATA SSD,

All other applications, when ever possible I used to install on another 60 SATA SSD.

I am very happy with the performance. It is pretty fast, better than if it were on the same disk. I have tested the difference.

Now I have a new ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard with Two M.2 slots.

I am going to buy a 512 GB M.2 SSD.

As I have under stood the SSD consists of 4 Nos of NAND Chis.

Therefore on each NAND chip, I presume will have capacity of 64 GBs.

My question is are they really independent ?

Can they behave as independent Hard disks?

If yes,

Can I partition my new M.2 SSD into an 198GB and 64GB partitions -that means 3 NAND chips and one NAND Chip?

and enjoy the same or better speed than before that I had with the SATA SSD?

Dr Abdul Rasheed

Dr. Abdul Rasheed. K., Feb 6, 2020
  4. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 1909 install on new M.2 SSD - move Recovery OEM Partition from beginning to end of...

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10 1909 install on new M.2 SSD - move Recovery OEM Partition from beginning to end of... - Similar Threads - Win10 1909 install

2. GPT protective partition apearing on new M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPT protective partition apearing on new M.2 SSD: Hi, I have bought a new M.2 NVME intel 670p and have tried to format it but failed.The SSD has been installed in 2 for the 3 ports on the motherboard, tried using diskpart to clean it and set it to mbr and using aomei and partition wizard to format it but nothing worked.The...
  3. GPT protective partition apearing on new M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPT protective partition apearing on new M.2 SSD: Hi, I have bought a new M.2 NVME intel 670p and have tried to format it but failed.The SSD has been installed in 2 for the 3 ports on the motherboard, tried using diskpart to clean it and set it to mbr and using aomei and partition wizard to format it but nothing worked.The...
  4. Windows 10 install on new m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 install on new m.2 ssd: Hi, i already have licensed windows 10 on hdd, so i just bought a new m.2 ssd to improve the performance. The question is if i do a clean install of windows on the ssd using the usb drive, what will happen to the windows on the hdd? Can i enter the same key or do i have to...
  5. Transfer Windows OEM license from m.2 ssd to sata ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows OEM license from m.2 ssd to sata ssd: Hello I have a laptop that came with Windows 10 education on its m.2 ssd, so its probably an OEM license I have a sata ssd that has Windows 10 home on it, that I added to the laptop to boot from I want to replace my m.2 ssd with a different one with more storage, but I...
  6. Move only Windows from HDD to M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move only Windows from HDD to M.2 SSD: Hey everyone. I recently bought an M.2 SSD to use alongside my older HDD. My plan was to have the games I play the most and Windows on the M.2 and all the other stuff on the HDD. I have already moved some games to the M.2. But I'm not sure how to only move Windows without...
  7. moved my M.2 ssd...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moved my M.2 ssd...: Hey guys! I was reading on reddit, that you should have your ssd as close to your cpu as possible on your motherboard, so there's less delay from the two talking to one another... and after I did, the ssd won't boot windows anymore, and sends me on the infinite loop of auto...
  8. Windows10 Migration from M.2 SSD to new computer with M.2 NVME SSD & Hardware

Windows10 Migration from M.2 SSD to new computer with M.2 NVME SSD & Hardware: I need help! I upgraded my computer to a ROG x570-I motherboard and Ryzen 9 3900 processor; and while i was at it, I cloned my m.2 ssd with windows from Arconis and moved it to a new "rocket" gen4 m.2 using the pcie. It won't boot. Asus doesn't show it in the boot drive...
  9. Moving Win10 from SSD to M.2?

Moving Win10 from SSD to M.2?: So I'm finally moving my OS from my old SSD (like 2015) to a clean M.2. The M.2 is empty and already partitioned and nothing of real value is on the old SSD. What is the easiest way of moving the OS? Media creation tool or just doing a clean install of windows? For the clean...
  10. M.2 SSD Partitioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    M.2 SSD Partitioning: My OS is installed on an 128GB SATA SSD, All other applications, when ever possible I used to install on another 60 SATA SSD. I am very happy with the performance. It is pretty fast, better than if it were on the same disk. I have tested the difference. Now I have a new...