Windows 10: Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu

Discus and support Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All ! I am using Windows 10 Pro v1903 Build 18362.175 I have in my Start menu, 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared at the bottom of the menu in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JCMacintosh, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu

Hi All !
    I am using Windows 10 Pro v1903 Build 18362.175
    I have in my Start menu, 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared at the bottom of the menu in the "Others" section. (see my screenshot, in French *Party) and it does not correspond to anything.
    No errors with SFC or maintenance DISM commands.
    I have already checked in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" or in "C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" and nothing wrong !
    Nothing found either in the "Registery"!
    Does anyone know how to "clean" in this part of the menu?
    If anyone has a tip, I'm interested.
    Thank you
    A +
    Jean Claude

Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu [​IMG]

:)

JCMacintosh, Jun 29, 2019

2. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

So after further searching , I found out the following odd facts :

So this is the odd app showing in start menu with several other missing apps .

Now few forums suggested this to be a sign of corruption example here .

So forums suggested too that there is a tool to fix corruptions called Start Menu Troubleshooter which wasn't easy to find .

Like always all MS Troubleshooters it managed to state the obvious :

So searching on for means to fix the corruption since Microsoft was vague enough about this I came across this page here :
    The odd thing is my old profile has an XML based setting file and empty database folder :

While new profile has no XML file but a database folder :

Any body came across these blahs before ?! @Brink think these are familiar ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

So lately I was faced by the following symptoms :
    1 - Alot of apps not appearing on start menu where I can only run them through store
    2 - Mysterious app called : ms-resource:appDisplayName appearing on start menu that can't be deleted / uninstalled
    3 - All my previous sorted tiles were reseted

I managed to research and here is what I attempted along the way :
    1 - I found number of pages that claimed start menu now is no longer a matter of links to sort , but more like yet another database managed by indexing service (which I doubt because it doesn't really show everything installed) and it suggested running re-indexing to sort start menu shortcut issues where I did that but status remained the same
    2 - Suggestions of re-installing apps where the hidden apps still did not show after re-installation
    3 - Suggestion to reset store using WSReset.exe (nothing)
    4 - Suggestion to run Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} to totally reset the store (nothing)
    5 - Suggestion to Run > shell:AppsFolder and then right click apps to find their locations and sort them where the apps showing are found their , their location lead to older windows folder structure of start menu where the rest of the missing software shows but they still wont show on start menu

So any hints on how to edit the bloody menu to reflect store apps installed and adding other missing installed software shortcuts ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Jun 29, 2019
  4. ninja750 Win User

Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu

ms-resource:appDisplayName in Start Menu programs list

ninja750, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu

1. Win10 - 3 bad lines "ms-resources" that appeared in Start Menu - Similar Threads - Win10 bad lines

2. ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro: Hello there, A few days ago, my win11 was upgraded to the latest bate channel update, which is version 22622.601. But due to some inexplicable problems in the update, I updated it several times until it succeeded, and after this update, my start menu interface has changed a...
  3. ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms-resource on my Windows Start Menu Windows 11 Pro: Hello there, A few days ago, my win11 was upgraded to the latest bate channel update, which is version 22622.601. But due to some inexplicable problems in the update, I updated it several times until it succeeded, and after this update, my start menu interface has changed a...
  4. Why ms-resource: AppListName is showing on my Start menu?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why ms-resource: AppListName is showing on my Start menu?: I just got my new laptop with windows 10 set up 2 days ago..... and this issue appeared.... is this normal anyway? and how can I fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-ms-resource-applistname-is-showing-on-my-start/548e87f6-07a5-457d-9cb9-daf7ffbfe3c2
  5. MS People app appearing as ms-resource:AppListName in Start Menu

MS People app appearing as ms-resource:AppListName in Start Menu: [img] [img] Been having this for a while I think, I don't use the people app (nor do I use the Start menu that much else, to be honest, I use a keystroke launcher) just an OCD thing to fix really, if its possible. I've already tried updating all apps from the MS Store....
  6. Not appearing start menu

in Cortana
    Not appearing start menu: Yesterday, i updated my windows 10 version 2004. when finished update and restart my laptop. After restart when i click start option i can't see program list because when i click start menu logo auto appear search option above start menu ! Even i am not seen shutdown option,...
  7. start menu not appearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu not appearing: so my problem is that windows start menu is completely invisible, it still functions i can open apps by typing the name of the application and it will run. i have tried: DISM scan which said to not reveal any corruptions , i have tried a similar scan in power-shell which...
  8. Start menu not appearing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu not appearing.: I changed out of Window S mode so that MS Office will work, but now Start menu will not appear when Start button is pushed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-not-appearing/9d72de98-ce1c-47da-af72-f50a54470740
  9. ms-resource

ms-resource: Impossible to get rid of "ms-resource" apps that appears after system restore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-resource/50a3b08d-fb6e-4d14-86d9-c469d411e6f4
  10. Bad start of win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad start of win10: Hi i'm having problems with win 10 start check this video what it happens 20161119 144305 - YouTube it stays like this for while a then some of the programs in system tray dont show up,what could be the problem?Thanks 70234