Windows 10: Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch

Discus and support Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After adding Hyper-V to Windows 10 Pro, Windows now accesses the internet with the virtual switch I created for Hyper-V instead of my Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bulldog, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Bulldog Win User

Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch

After adding Hyper-V to Windows 10 Pro, Windows now accesses the internet with the virtual switch I created for Hyper-V instead of my Ethernet connection. Why isn't Windows 10 using my Ethernet connection?

:)

Bulldog, Apr 30, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Apr 30, 2017
  3. RobDev Win User
    Internet Explorer (and Edge) "can't find this page" for some web sites

Hi Robert,

no, it's not. According to the Hyper-V Manager, I've only got two Virtual Switches; Microsoft Emulator NAT Switch and Windows Phone Emulator Internal Switch, both are marked as internal. My internet access, via the Ethernet port, is provided by a Realtek
    PCIe GBE Family Controller. I've also got two other Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet adapters showing up among my Network Connections but they are both marked as disabled.

Kind regards,

RobDev, Apr 30, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Your host machine is still using the Ethernet connection, it's just used through an external virtual switch. That's how it should be.

To allow communications between virtual machines and host, between different virtual machines, and to let both host and virtual machines access Internet, host machine needs to use the same external switch than virtual machines.

Let it be as it is, there's no issue here things being as they should be.

5. Bulldog Win User
    Thanks very much for your help. Please bear with me as I become better acquainted with Hyper-V:

I expected to see the virtual switch being used for internet access by the virtual machine when I am actually running the virtual machine. I was not expecting to see the virtual switch being used for internet access by my computer when I am not running a virtual machine. In that case I was expecting to see my computer using my 'regular' Ethernet connection, just as it did before I added Hyper-V.

It seems there's something basic about Hyper-V that I don't understand (yet.) Would you please explain?

Bulldog, Apr 30, 2017
  6. Mystere Win User
    It's really pretty simple. Imagine if you had 3 physical computers, and one cable modem (with a single port on it). Now, in order for these three computers to talk to each other, and all talk to the internet, you would need a switch that sits between the modem and the computers. Correct?

That's basically what is happening here. Only one computer (either virtual or physical) can use the built-in Ethernet connection, so when you install Hyper-V it creates a "virtual switch" that sits between the host computer, as well as all the virtual computers so they can all talk to each other, as well as the internet. Just like in the previous scenario.

If the host was talking directly to the Ethernet, then the guests would not be able to use it.

Mystere, May 1, 2017
  7. Bulldog Win User
    Aha! Now I get it. *Party

Bulldog, May 1, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Good description. I learnt something!

I assume VMware etc do something similar but less obvious?

cereberus, May 3, 2017
  9. Mystere Win User
    I haven't used VMWare in ages, but I think VMWare installs some kind of middleware driver in the network stack to do this.

Mystere, May 3, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Vmware creates a "Virtual" adapter which as you say essentially does the same thing. These are vmnet0-vmnetn depending on how you connect to the physical NIC. Vmware routes the traffic via the vmnet interface to the physical nic on the host and hence to router and internet / LAN.

I'm not sure how this works or can be set up if you have 2 or more physical nics on the machine

Here's 4 VM's running on a Linux Host -- 3X W10 and 1 X W7 - network map as seen from the W7 machine. Host is machine BROWNBEAR running Linux CENTOs 7.

I've had up to 8 running concurrently -- response drops off a bit then and if you are only using 1 physical nic you want at least a 1 - 10Gib/s one. I've actually 2 physical NIC's on the Host but not sure how to use the second one in a VMWARE network I know it's easy with HYPER-V though - but then I can't have LINUX as the host.

Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 3, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Just to add to Mystere's excellent post, using a Hyper-V external switch virtual machines get a bridged connection. If you prefer NAT (Network Address Translation) instead, you don't have to create an external virtual switch. About bridged vs. NAT: NAT vs. bridged network: A simple diagram - TechGenix

To use NAT in Hyper-V, first create an Internal switch in Virtual Switch Manager then share your host Ethernet or WLAN connection with your internal switch:

Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch [​IMG]

In VM settings set virtual machines to use the internal switch. They will now get private IP addresses 192.168.137.XXX, internal switch on host acting as DHCP server with IP 192.168.137.1.

Using NAT only with virtual machines makes external virtual switch unnecessary but as it makes networking between host and virtual machines quite a challenge if not impossible, the bridged mode with an external switch is the recommended way.

Quote from an old tutorial at our sister site EightForums.com:

(From EightForums.com tutorial Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager)

Thema:

1. Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch - Similar Threads - Win10 Accesses Internet

2. Hyper-V virtual switch has disconnected my computer from accessing the internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V virtual switch has disconnected my computer from accessing the internet: Hi,So I've been setting up a Hyper-V Linux VM for Ubuntu and I enabled an external virtual switch connection in the hope of accessing internet through my VM, however upon applying the changes in the virtual switch manager in external network settings, my internet access was...
  3. Hyper-V virtual switch has disconnected my computer from accessing the internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V virtual switch has disconnected my computer from accessing the internet: Hi,So I've been setting up a Hyper-V Linux VM for Ubuntu and I enabled an external virtual switch connection in the hope of accessing internet through my VM, however upon applying the changes in the virtual switch manager in external network settings, my internet access was...
  4. Hyper-V virtual switches difference?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V virtual switches difference?: I made a new external switch in Hyper-V, and the screenshot below is what I have now: [img] First 3 adapters from screenshot are as follows: 1. Physical realtek adapter 2. Default (non removable) virtual switch 3. vEthernet is the external switch I made BUT, what is...
  5. Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch: Hello, I have been trying to create a Ubuntu VM using Hyper-V for the past hour, but Windows still can't create one for me. Every time I tried to create it just says "The server encountered an error while creating VM name. 'VM name' failed to realize. Failed to access...
  6. Hyper-V Virtual Switch Issues

Hyper-V Virtual Switch Issues: I have multiple VMs that work very well but I am trying to limit some of them to accessing my internal network only but I have been unable to find a way to do that. The Default Switch simply doesn't allow access to my internal network and when I set the Virtual Switch that I...
  7. Unable to Access Shared Folder on Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Access Shared Folder on Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I have a Hyper-V virtual machine that uses a default switch, which is connected to a virtual adapter called vEthernet on the Windows 10 host. Using the IP address of the vEthernet adapter, I have no problem pinging the host machine from both the guest and the host machines....
  8. Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network: I’m not entirely sure if this should be in networking section. Sorry if this is wrong section. First little background. I have Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I also have Windows 10 computer with TV tuner card. I can watch TV on Kodi over the network as the Windows 10 machine...
  9. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  10. Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch: Hey, new here. I wasn't sure if this should go in Network and Sharing or Programs and Apps, so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Anyways, while trying to set up a virtual switch I discover I need to install the 'Hyper-v Extensible Virtual Switch' network...
Tags: