Windows 10: Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change

Discus and support Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; At the start of the new year I upgraded my PC. At that time I had to deal with other activation issues, eventually solved by Microsoft support services... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Siggy7085, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Siggy7085 Win User

Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change

At the start of the new year I upgraded my PC. At that time I had to deal with other activation issues, eventually solved by Microsoft support services generating a new product key for me. I thought that would solve things for good, and after my new motherboard suddenly required replacement again I assumed the key I now had in addition to activation tied to my MS account would let me activate Win10 with no issues. I was very wrong, and I am veryVERY frustrated.

Here's some screenshots of the troubleshooting process:

Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change e08597ec-214a-42ef-ad78-5ec48a21b5d1?upload=true.png

Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change 9e7aa2fb-9990-4595-876b-ae9d2c889c42?upload=true.png

Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change dac9b624-298a-41bc-8dda-8b84b1f4597b?upload=true.png

Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change c4eb4084-b5a5-4983-aa46-b8a92964e146?upload=true.png

As you can see, I DO have a product key, and my previous computerIS listed in the troubleshooter, except the process just doesn't work.

So yeah, I'm annoyed. I don't want to have to spend an hour on the phone and let some stranger connect to my PC remotely again. Getting solutions to these issues is like pulling teeth, I can't stand how convoluted it all is, and the condescending "...purchasing a genuine copy of Windows." is extremely insulting when this issue shouldn't even be happening.

:)

Siggy7085, Jan 12, 2020
  2. Hodakiin Win User

Win10 won't activate after RAM change

Hey! I replaced my old RAM cards with two new ones, and now I'm stuck with a "activate windows" prompt in the bottom right corner of my screen. The troubleshooter does not seem to do anything (tried checking the changed hardware option + chose my device
    in the list of devices + it said win10 was now activated.... but the prompt won't leave.)

I got win10 during the free upgrade period, and thus I don't have a product key... Any suggestions?

Hodakiin, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change

Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change

1. Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change - Similar Threads - Win10 Activation Failure

2. failure to activate after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    failure to activate after hardware change: I am moving from one laptap to a newer one. On the old one Win10 is activated and licensed and shows up on my microsoft account. I switch the drive to the new computer and all is fine except that when I try to activate and it tells me that I have had a hardware change, and...
  3. Windows 10 Activation Failure after hardware change

Windows 10 Activation Failure after hardware change: Hello I replaced my motherboard and CPU from intel to AMD if that makes a difference and upon booting up my Windows is inactivated. I previously had Windows 10 that was upgraded from a Windows 7 dvd and I had already gotten the digital license. I am signed in with the same...
  4. Win10 Activation after (complete) hardware change

Win10 Activation after (complete) hardware change: Hi there, after a total hardware change I'm sadly unable to activate my Win10 retail key. Before the hardware change I deactivated the key using "slmgr -upk" which gave me the "key uninstalled successfully" box. However, seems that wasn't enough. I'm simply unable to...
  5. Activation failure after hardware changes. (cpu mobo ram)

Activation failure after hardware changes. (cpu mobo ram): Hello, I recently updated my hardware and I am now being asked to activate Windows. I do not have the product key from when I originally bought windows and the troubleshoot only recognises my MSI mobo (old one) not the Aorus (new one). However, my email address is linked...
  6. re activating Win10 pro after hardware change

re activating Win10 pro after hardware change: Hi, I need to change my motherboard soon as it is showing failures, so I will be buying a new one with CPU and Memory and I wonder if it is possible to reactivate windows without a Microsoft account as I only have a local account ? I do have a valid activation key because I...
  7. Activation win10 after hardware change

Activation win10 after hardware change: Hello everyone, I've recetly change some of my hardware (motherboard, CPU and RAM) and when i started pc i could not active windows again. Error code that i have is 0xC004C003. On my previus computer was (before hardware upgrade) OEM and now it is something else. I can...
  8. Can't activate win10 after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't activate win10 after hardware change.: I've changed my motherboard a few days ago, and i couldn't activate Windows afterwards because it turned out because i upgraded to win10 from a win7 when it was available for free, and i have to make preparations before i change my hardware if i want to keep my OS activated....
  9. W10 activation after hardware failure

W10 activation after hardware failure: I lost my motherboard on my laptop the other day and I moved my SSD to another shell. Now, I can't activate windows and I have followed all of the troubleshooting advice. Any ideas on how I can reactivate W10 digital licence on this laptop?...
  10. Activation after Hardware Changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after Hardware Changes.: I've recently rebuilt my PC with completely new Mobo, CPU and RAM. However, my HDD is the same and I've just plugged it in straight from my old PC, without using any sort of transfer utility. Windows is now telling me it is not activated , and when I click on "recent hardware...