Windows 10: Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH

Discus and support Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The changes to User Variables I made in System Properties aka Advanced System Settings Environment Variables do NOT appear in Command Prompt's PATH,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SWalkerELT, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH

The changes to User Variables I made in System Properties aka Advanced System Settings Environment Variables do NOT appear in Command Prompt's PATH, despite a reboot. Several items in Environment Variables are not in the PATH.Why not, but more importantly, how can I fix it?I can't get PyCharm and Python to work properly, without them being in the PATH.

:)

SWalkerELT, Jan 17, 2022

2. Set command shows different Path in command prompt than the Environmental Variables GUI

Windows 10 Home x_64. Over the years I must have either deleted a few programs improperly or the uninstall programs didn't complete as expected. Either way my %PATH% environment variable needs a clean-up. When I open a command prompt and type "set", then
    scroll through the results of the PATH variable, it shows more entries than are shown when I bring up the Environment Variables gui through System.

I am trying to remove some of the paths that show up through the "set" command, but they are not displayed when I run System/Advanced/Environment Variables through the GUI.

Where does a command prompt read the %PATH% variable from and how can I edit it?

Thanks in advance.

***Modified title from: Path variable as shown thru Command Line "Set" command does not match What is shown in System gui***

DeanPowell1, Jan 17, 2022
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, Jan 17, 2022
  4. Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH

Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, Jan 17, 2022
Thema:

Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH

1. Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH - Similar Threads - Win10 Advanced System

2. Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables: In Command Prompt, path command generates the following I add new-line to make more readable:ATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_192;C:\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Python38\;C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft...
  3. Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables: In Command Prompt, path command generates the following I add new-line to make more readable:ATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_192;C:\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Python38\;C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft...
  4. No Command Prompt in Advanced Startup

No Command Prompt in Advanced Startup: Hi, I tried to recover my password in advanced startup on my HP laptop Windows 11 but unfortunately, I can't find the command prompt when I go in to troubleshoot I see only the start-up settings and UEFI firmware I can't find the command prompt please help thanks by the way I...
  5. Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH: The changes to User Variables I made in System Properties aka Advanced System Settings Environment Variables do NOT appear in Command Prompt's PATH, despite a reboot. Several items in Environment Variables are not in the PATH.Why not, but more importantly, how can I fix it?I...
  6. Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Advanced System Settings shows different path than Command Prompt PATH: The changes to User Variables I made in System Properties aka Advanced System Settings Environment Variables do NOT appear in Command Prompt's PATH, despite a reboot. Several items in Environment Variables are not in the PATH.Why not, but more importantly, how can I fix it?I...
  7. Path Lengths on Different Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Path Lengths on Different Drives: I have files on a desktop drive and it does not have an issue with the Path Lengths. On another drive in the same machine if I copy the data it gives me the Path Too Long error if I copy it to that drive. I have already used Regedit to turn on allowing long path names....
  8. Map a path in Win10 to another path?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Map a path in Win10 to another path?: I have a cloud based assets linked in a single document that I access from two different computers. On the drives for each computer, the path is different. So that in the document, the path is broken on one of the machines when I open that document. Is there an easy way to...
  9. Program Path Program Files (x86) in Command Prompt needed!

Program Path Program Files (x86) in Command Prompt needed!: Hello, Because my mother got a nasty virus on her laptop (Windows 10), I have to open the Program Files (x86) folder in command prompt. But I don't know the right path to get into the folder. I started the system with an usb drive. You can find a picture attached. The german...
  10. Set command shows different Path in command prompt than the Environmental Variables GUI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set command shows different Path in command prompt than the Environmental Variables GUI: Windows 10 Home x_64. Over the years I must have either deleted a few programs improperly or the uninstall programs didn't complete as expected. Either way my %PATH% environment variable needs a clean-up. When I open a command prompt and type "set", then scroll through the...