Windows 10: Win10 always reverting to its own graphic and pdf apps (Photos & Edge)

Discus and support Win10 always reverting to its own graphic and pdf apps (Photos & Edge) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; To who may solve this problem: Since upgrading (much to my will) to Win 10, I have been confronted with a highly vexing situation. Indeed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by haku, Jun 6, 2017.

1. haku Win User

Win10 always reverting to its own graphic and pdf apps (Photos & Edge)

To who may solve this problem:

Since upgrading (much to my will) to Win 10, I have been confronted with a highly vexing situation.

Indeed, whatever I do or tweak, either directly with a right click or via Control Panel, using various methods to dedicate a certain file to a certain viewer, Win 10 invariably reverts to its own apps. This is particularly the case with almost all graphic files (jpg, bmp, png, etc.) and all pdf files. For the first kind, it reverts to its so-called Photos; for the second, to Edge. In the graphic case, the preferred viewer would be IrfanView (32 and/or 64 bit); in the pdf case it would be Adobe Reader.

Thus, whatever I try, the following happens: for a very short time Win 10 "obeys" then, for no rhyme or reason, the reversion occurs.

I suppose there must be a tweak somewhere, perhaps in the registry, to overcome this annoyance.

Note 1: None of the video and/or audio files suffer from this irritating drawback: they stick to whatever viewer I dedicate them to. On the other hand, and purely for your information, Win10 adamantly refuses to recognize Microsoft own Excel Spreadsheet Viewer. The latter is not a big deal because I now use Google's spreadsheet utility, which is more than sufficient for my limited needs.)

Note2: Please note that I tried all the options proposed by this Forum...

• Option One: Reset to the Microsoft Recommended Defaults
    • Option Two: To Choose Default App in "Open with" Context Menu
    • Option Three: To Choose Default Apps in Settings
    • Option Four: To Choose Default Apps by File Type in Settings
    • Option Five: To Choose Default Apps by Protocol in Settings
    • Option Six: To Set your Default Programs in Control Panel
    • Option Seven: To Associate a File Type or Protocol with a Program in Control Panel

... before submitting my post.

Thanks for taking your time to resolve the graphic and pdf problem.

:)

haku, Jun 6, 2017

2. Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

This is still a major issue for me. No matter where or how I associate a file type with an application, Windows 10 ALWAYS forgets them, and after a restart reverts to using its own dumb and useless apps. For example, I have PhotoShop CS6 installed, so always
    want JPG, PNG and every other image format to open in PhotoShop. But after a restart Windows 10 reverts to using its useless Photos app by default. Similarly, I have the full version of Acrobat DC so of course ALWAYS want EVERY .pdf file to open in Acrobat...
    but no, Windows 10 thinks I should open PDFs in a particularly useless web browser called Edge! Why? This file association problem is the worst bug (or most stupid 'feature') in Windows 10. Professionals need to use the correct app to do their work
    (PhotoShop, Acrobat) not lame Microsoft substitutes!

Reactive59, Jun 6, 2017
  3. Microsoft Edge and PDF

Hi i have tried this repeatedly - every time i reassociate PDF's to Acrobat DC - it reverts back on its own - I have tried Settings > Defaut apps, control Panel and right clicking > Open with ( yes i tick the box)

every single time it reverts back to edge being the default app Win10 always reverting to its own graphic and pdf apps (Photos & Edge) :eek:(

markturnertrw, Jun 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this has been discussed a number of times since Win 10 came out- a few people have this problem.
    Of course it's not correct behaviour.

Please see e.g.
    File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot - Windows 10 Forums
    From #6 or 7 on

There may be other causes for this- I recall a further program someone had installed had this effect.

This is interesting, but I would only try it if you felt it justified:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wi...-associations/

#8 - video
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/35405-open-not-sticking.html

dalchina, Jun 6, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    A common factor in both @haku's question and the thread @dalchina linked to is Infranview. It was the cause of defaults being reset in this thread too...

Setting up Windows 10 Pro

...with a solution of downloading the latest version which doesn't use deprecated methods to set its defaults so no longer triggered a reset.

PS: the pdf reset is probably 'collateral damage' from the Infranview reset. The thread I linked to had the default browser being reset too, which stopped happening as soon as Infranview was updated.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 always reverting to its own graphic and pdf apps (Photos & Edge) - Similar Threads - Win10 always reverting

2. My win10 pc kept trying on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My win10 pc kept trying on its own: It'll automatically start typing a sequence of words once I input anything. Reboot and plug unplug key board didn't help. The sequence is what I typed three days ago which includes space bar ! sign and backspace. change from the Simplified chinese to ENG won't stop the...
  3. Fonts on apps changing on its own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fonts on apps changing on its own: Hi, the last couple days my laptop has been acting weird. All my apps in the morning after being shut down for the night change their font on their own. I cannot read this font as well as the default one. Chrome, spotify, discord, and many other apps have been doing this. How...
  4. Win 10 1909 Install reverts to 1803 on its own

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 1909 Install reverts to 1803 on its own: Hello, Our company is pushing out the 1909 install currently on 1803. The install takes an inordinately long time but does successfully install after several hours. HOWEVER, for reasons unknown, the laptop reverts back to 1803 within a day or two afterward. Our tech support...
  5. Edge closing PDF files on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Edge closing PDF files on its own: When will Microsoft fix the problem with Edge closing PDF files on its own? If I can't work with a PDF because of Edge, then I need other software. BTW, I did not ask for Edge nor its incumbent problems!...
  6. Calculator App Launches On Its Own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Calculator App Launches On Its Own: Hello, everyone. I've been having an odd issue with my Calculator App for the last month or so: it launches on its own at random points in time, and I've been unable to find out why, or to make it stop. I'm on Windows 10 Home, Version 1903. So far, it seems to be connected...
  7. PDF standard reverts to edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    PDF standard reverts to edge: Hello, this problem is driving us nuts. Our standard PDF reader is Adobe Reader DC, when opening a PDF document, after a few moments, the system automatically changes the standard from Adobe to Edge. This problem only occures on our virtual machines: Specs (2...
  8. Photos app restarts on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app restarts on its own: I have Windows 10. Lately, for no apparent reason, the Photos app just starts up. I shut it down, and it starts up again. I tried repairing the app, and resetting it, but it keeps occurring. I tried closing everything down completely except a browser, and just looking at...
  9. Edge has its own sets of fonts

in Browsers and Email
    Edge has its own sets of fonts: Just a curiosity, but Edge has 2 private sets of fonts located in: \Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets\Fonts called BrowserMDL.ttf [img] containing the browsers Asset characters and ReadMDL2.ttf [img] Containing...
  10. Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own.: I originally had windows 7 pro and installed windows 10 when it was available for free. My machine typically is powered off when I am not using it. The morning before the last day of the free download my computer reverted itself back to windows XP. I have no idea how it...