Windows 10: Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working

Discus and support Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just noticed that my "Search" function does not work anymore. I press the Start button or the search icon in the taskbar and try to type, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Muyfa666, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Muyfa666 Win User

Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working

I just noticed that my "Search" function does not work anymore.

I press the Start button or the search icon in the taskbar and try to type, but nothing more happens.

Any ideas why this might've happened?

:)

Muyfa666, Oct 5, 2016
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Oct 5, 2016
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working :)

musum, Oct 5, 2016
  4. robgr Win User

Check Indexing Options (control panel), has indexing at least started?

robgr, Oct 5, 2016
  5. Muyfa666 Win User
    Yes, and I have rebuilt the index.

I tried the advanced help for search and got "incorrect permissions for the windows search directories".

NT instans\SYSTEM

Could this be it? If so, how can I restore that permission?

Muyfa666, Oct 5, 2016
  6. robgr Win User
    Run the DISM toll, see here

robgr, Oct 5, 2016
  7. Muyfa666 Win User
    Done. No errors found. :-/

Muyfa666, Oct 5, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

DISM and SFC will not repair your permissions.

I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) you haven't played with permissions but I don't really understand your post #3. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data should be owned by SYSTEM - that is normal and correct.

Try making a new account and see if search works there.

lx07, Oct 5, 2016
  9. Muyfa666 Win User
    I tried making a new account, and it didn't help.

I finally gave up and refreshed my installation. So while this is not solved, the issue is no more for me.

Muyfa666, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working - Similar Threads - Win10 Anniversary Search

2. Search Not Working Win10- Search and Cortana

in Cortana
    Search Not Working Win10- Search and Cortana: Hi, Cortana was slowing down my pc so I deleted/disabled search and Cortana. I don't know how I did it but I need help! I cannot use windows search and I am dependent on it for .exe applications. Please help me in installing/enabling it. I have already tried going to...
  3. Win10 Anniversary update - no sound, reinstalling drivers doesn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Anniversary update - no sound, reinstalling drivers doesn't work: I have an HP Envy 15 laptop running Win 10, and a few days ago the sound just cut out. I've tried the usual reinstallation of both the IDT HD audio driver and the generic Windows audio driver, as well as finding the latest drivers on the HP website, to no avail. On the...
  4. Anniversary Update Win10 printer not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anniversary Update Win10 printer not working: This is the 3rd major upgrade/update and each time I have had to re-install printer, drivers, etc. All steps have been taken again this time, with tech support and on my own. Documents are sitting in the print queue, but my printer will not print them. I am not the only...
  5. Anniversary Update: Search not working properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: Search not working properly: After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly. (I have re-started again). If I enter a search term ("Restore") on search bar next to the Start Button I get Best match: "Recovery, Control Panel" at the top of the window, but if I...
  6. Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat: Hello, Title says it all. I can't use the search functionality and Cortana is missing. Is there a way to reinstall it? 66038
  7. Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update: As the title says, my Windows Search has stopped functioning properly after the Anniversary Update. I can click on the bar, and it will bring up an empty window, but as soon as I type in anything, it closes itself. I've read up on some possible methods of fixing it,...
  8. Win10 Anniversary Update Woes

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary Update Woes: Updated yesterday to Anniversary Update. My PC worked AoK for about an hour and then the Desktop stopped working. The mouse pointer still moved around, but will not activate the start menu, or any applications. Resorted to a hard re-boot. After that, Win-AU would work for 15...
  9. search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10: After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly - i no longer have a search icon in my taskbar. i do have a cortana icon. is this by design? - when i try to key something into where it says "ask me anything", i cannot enter any...
  10. issues with Win10 anniversary 14.393.10 (1607)

in Windows 10 Support
    issues with Win10 anniversary 14.393.10 (1607): I upgraded 7 machines to 1607. All of these machines are running 1511, 3 of the machines had 32-bit versions (1 Asus transformer, 1 Asus Tablet and 1 HP Stream Tablet). All these machines upgraded and migrated without any issues. Of the remaining 4 machines, 2 are Intel...