Windows 10: Win10 Anniversary Update - Logging in takes long time

Discus and support Win10 Anniversary Update - Logging in takes long time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had upgraded my laptop to Win10 AU yesterday and installed updates and stuff like that. Everything is running fine However, after entering my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by win10freak, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Win10 Anniversary Update - Logging in takes long time

I had upgraded my laptop to Win10 AU yesterday and installed updates and stuff like that.
    Everything is running fine However, after entering my password from the logon prompt, it would say Welcome... like for 15 to 20 seconds and then my desktop would load normally.

I am not even running disk encryption (which I would assume would slow the process down even more)
    Does anyone have the same issue?
    On the version 1511, it was much more faster.

:)

win10freak, Oct 30, 2016

2. Update taking a long time

My new computer has been updating for the past 7 hours. The hard drive activity has been flashing, indicating that the update hasnt stopped. However, why is it taking 7 hours to update my brand new computer?

GeorgeAlamillo, Oct 30, 2016
  3. Update taking a long time

That's a good question. Typically the longest portion of it is the "user data migration" bit. You see, these updates might be advertised as just updates, but they are really entirely new versions of Windows -- just like upgrading from XP to 7 (for example).
    The system first moves all user files to a temporary place, updates the OS, then moves the files back. If the drive uses a spinning drive instead of solid state, it can take forever, especially if you have dense data like movies (I have more than 13,000 pictures
    and about 600 GB of personal files, so I feel that pain too).

Microsoft made some major changes to how the updates work to speed it up, but unfortunately most of those fixes are currently still on the insiders-only track. Once it makes it to the public, you should see some dramatic improvements also.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 30, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Win10 Anniversary Update - Logging in takes long time

Because it takes a while to do its housekeeping due to it is a brand new OS version of Windows 10.

bro67, Oct 30, 2016
Thema:

Win10 Anniversary Update - Logging in takes long time

1. Win10 Anniversary Update - Logging in takes long time - Similar Threads - Win10 Anniversary Update

2. Log In Takes An Extremely Long Time After Entering PIN.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Log In Takes An Extremely Long Time After Entering PIN.: Greetings, My laptop has started to take an abnormally long time to log in after I enter my PIN after start-up. It goes through the normal boot-up process after hitting the power button, but after I enter my PIN, it takes anywhere from 25-45 minutes for the desktop to...
  3. Windows Update takes long time.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update takes long time.: Hi, Following is the OS specification of my laptop : [ATTACH] The last time when I tried to update windows to perform the following similar update it took over 5 hours to complete and it was stuck at 52%, later on, I forced the system to go in sleep mode by pressing the...
  4. Windows update search take long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update search take long time: Hi, I have a problem since today, since the last windows 20H2 update. When I want to search an update the loading searching take a very long time (~25mn) and I have an error and I can clic on retry. I want to know if this is a known problem ? Thx submitted by /u/TheMagiiK...
  5. 2004 Update taking a long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2004 Update taking a long time: Hi all, I'm trying to update to version 2004 on my computer, but it failed the first few times I tried (I was playing games at the time). I'm doing the update now, but it's taken nearly 2 hours and it's still only 87% installing. Is there a reason it's taken so long? Thanks...
  6. Refresh takes long time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Refresh takes long time: When I am refreshing my laptop it takes long time and other functions also do not work in that time. Please help me.what i do now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-takes-long-time/ad06e73f-0345-4a39-a9ba-f0ebf6dc5cb9
  7. Windows Update - Taking long time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update - Taking long time: Today, I have got the notification that your system is downloaded and ready to update latest version... Restart is required? I have agreed and clicked the Restart button. to my surprise - it took 03 hrs 45 mins to update the latest update..... I am not happy they way it...
  8. win10 icons take long time to show (windows Explorer)

in Windows 10 Support
    win10 icons take long time to show (windows Explorer): When I first open the Windows Explorer after starting my computer the icons for the files show up as a white box. I have run virus scans, malware scans which both finding nothing, then I defraged the drive and tried resetting the icon cache then rebooted. The same thing...
  9. Login takes a long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Login takes a long time: Hi, since the fresh installation of win10 after awhile login takes a long time. I created a new user and copied all my files to that account and the problem was solved but after 3-4 Weeks it gets slower and now it almost takes a minute to login into windows. Booting is...
  10. Takes long time to startup when logged in for the first time

in Windows 10 Support
    Takes long time to startup when logged in for the first time: Hello, Our computers are running Windows 10 with Server domain, but we have a problem. Each first login takes long time to login and some time it gets stuck on the welcome screen when too many teachers logged on the machine. I had contacted an admin about it and they said...