Windows 10: (win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes

Discus and support (win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; sometimes the task bar freezes. i cannot open or close any program using the task bar icons. i cannot access the task manager by right-clicking on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ydaltak, Aug 20, 2016.

1. ydaltak Win User

(win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes

sometimes the task bar freezes. i cannot open or close any program using the task bar icons. i cannot access the task manager by right-clicking on the task bar. open programs continue to run all right. i uninstalled the last two programs that i installed before the problem. the only thing to do is access the task manager by control-alt-delete and restart the computer. has this happened to anyone else? what to do?

:)

ydaltak, Aug 20, 2016
  2. Thairon Win User

Microsoft Edge

After installation of Win10 Anniversary edition, Edge icon disappeared from taskbar, does not show up in Apps.

The Browser is still working but I would like to have the Icon on the Taskbar as it was before the update.

Any suggestions? Anyone else with same problem?

Thairon, Aug 20, 2016
  3. Screen freezing after installing Windows 10 Anniversary update on the computer.

Original Title: Win10 Anniversary Update Screen Freeze

Hi There,

am really in stress after updating my PC WIN10 anniversary update version 1607 OS build 14393.10,after all the install process is over and re booted the system and log into my account the screen get freeze and i cant able to work anymore right
    now am working in safe mode and cant able to uninstall any software or install the software in safe mode.is there any fix to work OS normal or should i have to role back to WIN7 its very urgent respond ASAP.

Vigneshlogan, Aug 20, 2016
  4. pitchuk Win User

I have exactly the same problem. Any fix yet, I have to keep restarting my PC which is really annoying when i'm writing my thesis

pitchuk, Aug 21, 2016
  5. bwinds Win User
    Have it too. Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then Task Manager, find Windows Explorer, right and then choose "Restart" - fixes this without a reboot.
    I wonder what all the non techie people do....

bwinds, Aug 21, 2016
  6. ydaltak Win User
    (i'm the original poster.) i'm trying an experiment. i have been asked if i was running a third-party antivirus program when explaining a problem i was having with windows 10. i am now running without that program being active and am waiting to see if the taskbar locks up. i guess i should give this a couple of days. i'll let you know what happens.

as a side note: i cannot enter any text into the search box that comes with cortana. it displays 1 or 2 characters and then nothing. i will be checking on this also.

ydaltak, Aug 21, 2016
  7. ydaltak Win User
    thanks for the tip! this is better than rebooting all the time.

ydaltak, Aug 21, 2016
  8. (win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes

<<as a side note: i cannot enter any text into the search box that comes with cortana. it displays 1 or 2 characters and then nothing. i will be checking on this also.[/QUOTE]

Having the same issue. In my case the cause is Zemana Free Antilogger. When I need the search box I temporarily disable the Keyboard Protection on Protection Modules, then I can type in the search box*Sad
    Not a perfect solution but I never heard back from Zemana support on this issue.

Pulcinella, Nov 23, 2016
  9. ydaltak Win User
    Having the same issue. In my case the cause is Zemana Free Antilogger. When I need the search box I temporarily disable the Keyboard Protection on Protection Modules, then I can type in the search box*Sad
    Not a perfect solution but I never heard back from Zemana support on this issue.[/QUOTE]

eureka! if i turn off zemana, the search box works. i'll have to look into whether i'd rather have the protection or the search box. great find!

ydaltak, Nov 23, 2016
  10. You are welcome. I learned to live with it by switching Keyboard Protection off and on.

On the subject of this thread :
    Still cannot work out the taskbar freezing on boot since the latest Windows 10 upgrade. Got to restart the computer. No other solution in this or other forums did work for me.*Mad

Pulcinella, Nov 23, 2016
  11. ydaltak Win User
    Still cannot work out the taskbar freezing on boot since the latest Windows 10 upgrade. Got to restart the computer. No other solution in this or other forums did work for me.*Mad[/QUOTE]

Ctrl-Shift-Escape takes you to the Task Manager, find Windows Explorer (it's tricky because it moves around) and click on it, and then choose "Restart" - fixes this without a reboot. i can do this while a spreadsheet is open and music is playing and neither are affected. all that happens is the task bar blinks off and on and then it works.

on a similar note: i still have problems with my desktop icons changing size and moving around. also, when i start a program by using a start menu icon, the menu does not go away when the program opens. i have to click on the program's screen and then the start menu goes away. not a big deal - just not right.

ydaltak, Nov 24, 2016
  12. on a similar note: i still have problems with my desktop icons changing size and moving around. also, when i start a program by using a start menu icon, the menu does not go away when the program opens. i have to click on the program's screen and then the start menu goes away. not a big deal - just not right. >>

*Think Sorry, can't help you here.

Thanks for the windows explorer tip it work fine.*Smile

Pulcinella, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. (win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes - Similar Threads - win10 anniversary update

2. after win10 anniversary update games look frozen but they are not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after win10 anniversary update games look frozen but they are not: Woke up to my computer updating to windows 10 anniversary update, thought ok whatever. after starting a game and alt tabbing out to do a few things. i get back in and notice the screen is frozen but the game is still running, you can still interact with everything and hit the...
  3. Anniversary update, remove Edge from taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Anniversary update, remove Edge from taskbar: Does anybody know how to get rid of the Edge shortcut that has been placed on the task bar? I don't want that thing there but unfortunately it cannot be "unpinned". 58462
  4. Anniversary Update causes freeze at lock screen

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update causes freeze at lock screen: Old laptop, Core2 Duo. Windows Update still hasn't offered the Anniversary Update so I downloaded the installer (Windows10Upgrade28084.exe)today, and installed. After which, whenever waking from sleep, the lock screen would be totally unresponsive to keyboard and mouse; only...
  5. Update History missing after Win10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update History missing after Win10 Anniversary Update: Hi, I just downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yesterday and so far I have noticed some changes in my computer that I was not aware of before the update. (1) Somehow my System Restore was set to Disabled and all of my restore points are now gone...
  6. win10 anniversary update shows connection but no internet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win10 anniversary update shows connection but no internet access: Ever since i installed the anniversary update to both my desktop and my sister's laptop, both systems show that they are connected to the internet (desktop connected via ethernet while the laptop via wifi) but pages can't seem to load. However, i formatted both systems and i...
  7. Anniversary Update Win10 printer not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anniversary Update Win10 printer not working: This is the 3rd major upgrade/update and each time I have had to re-install printer, drivers, etc. All steps have been taken again this time, with tech support and on my own. Documents are sitting in the print queue, but my printer will not print them. I am not the only...
  8. Win10 Anniversary Update - Logging in takes long time

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary Update - Logging in takes long time: I had upgraded my laptop to Win10 AU yesterday and installed updates and stuff like that. Everything is running fine However, after entering my password from the logon prompt, it would say Welcome... like for 15 to 20 seconds and then my desktop would load normally. I am...
  9. Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working: I just noticed that my "Search" function does not work anymore. I press the Start button or the search icon in the taskbar and try to type, but nothing more happens. Any ideas why this might've happened? 66077
  10. Win10 Anniversary Update Woes

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary Update Woes: Updated yesterday to Anniversary Update. My PC worked AoK for about an hour and then the Desktop stopped working. The mouse pointer still moved around, but will not activate the start menu, or any applications. Resorted to a hard re-boot. After that, Win-AU would work for 15...