Windows 10: Win10 app shortcuts lag

Discus and support Win10 app shortcuts lag in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Win10 Pro 64bit v10.0117134 Build 17134 Ryxen5 1600X 3600Mhz 8mg matched ram 160Gb free KB4340917 installed 01/08/18 Prior to that update, last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Palcouk, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Palcouk Win User

Win10 app shortcuts lag

Win10 Pro 64bit v10.0117134 Build 17134

Ryxen5 1600X 3600Mhz 8mg matched ram

160Gb free

KB4340917 installed 01/08/18

Prior to that update, last kb4345421 on 24/07, I was getting various sytem lags, ie click an app shortcut no reaction fo a few seconds, no hour glass, the app would then open. Problem also extended to opening a new tab in Edge, or FF

After the last winupdate 01/08/17 the lags reduced, but are still there

In cortana, type winupdate then click the shortcut, takes up to 10 secs for Windows Update to open.

File explorer also takes +10 secs to populate and then a delay before full functionality

:)

Palcouk, Aug 3, 2018

2. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 3, 2018
  3. borgus Win User
    BG processes cause keyboard shortcut lag

Update, as of 12/5/15

After considerable experimentation it appears that the lag will occur when a STORE or (system) SETTINGS app (Calculator, for example) or "store" itself is listed in Task Manager background processes. Kill the process, and the lag vanishes. When the app is actually running, it is listed under APPS, not background processes. Then at random times, often after a sleep cycle or at boot, it will spontaneously appear as a background process - Calculator, Store and possibly others.

Speculated causes of this annoyance are discussed in this article and its embedded links... https://superuser.com/questions/426947/slow-windows-desktop-keyboard-shortcuts/957210#957210 where "Helen" posted a workaround...

Disable SUPERFETCH. Click START, type "services", <enter>, double-click on SUPERFETCH. Stop it. Disable it.

No performance hit has been noted by doing so, and shortcuts launched via keyboard no longer lag. Fingers crossed.

borgus, Aug 3, 2018
  4. borate Win User

Win10 app shortcuts lag

Lag when using shortcut (keyboard) keys

Update, as of 12/5/15

--- revised 2/18/16 --- No further instances of lag (which can also stop macros from completing) since SUPERFETCH was disabled. However, some users report occasional lag despite this measure, and
    the underlying problem is extant.

It appears to have nothing to do with hardware, keyboard drivers, SFC or services other than SF.

After considerable experimentation it appears that the lag will occur when a STORE app (Calculator, for example) or "store" itself is listed in Task Manager background processes. Kill the process, and the lag vanishes. When the app is actually running,
    it is listed under APPS, not background processes. Then at random times, often after a sleep cycle or at boot, it will spontaneously appear as a background process - Calculator, (System) Settings, Store and possibly others.

Speculated causes of this annoyance are discussed in this article and its embedded links...

https://superuser.com/questions/426947/slow-windows-desktop-keyboard-shortcuts/957210#957210
    where "Helen" posted a workaround...

Disable SUPERFETCH. Click START, type "services", <enter>, double-click on SUPERFETCH. Stop it. Disable it.

No performance hit has been noted by doing so, and shortcuts launched via keyboard no longer lag.

borate, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

Win10 app shortcuts lag

1. Win10 app shortcuts lag - Similar Threads - Win10 app shortcuts

2. App Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App Shortcuts: I'd like to know if it's still possible to add app shortcuts on the pc home screen. I just updated my pc to windows 10 22h2 and I am unable to add shortcuts to the apps I downloaded from the Microsoft store...
  3. App Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App Shortcuts: I'd like to know if it's still possible to add app shortcuts on the pc home screen. I just updated my pc to windows 10 22h2 and I am unable to add shortcuts to the apps I downloaded from the Microsoft store...
  4. App Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Win10 crashed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 crashed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10: I really haven't a clue where to post this so forgive me. Three days ago, I came back to my sleeping computer and got nothing when I moved the mouse. Tried to reboot, but had to unplug power to the machine for 30 seconds, then the bios came up. When I finally was able to...
  6. Win10 crahed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 crahed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10: I really haven't a clue where to post this so forgive me. Three days ago, I came back to my sleeping computer and got nothing when I moved the mouse. Tried to reboot, but had to unplug power to the machine for 30 seconds, then the bios came up. When I finally was able to...
  7. Bad keyboard lag in Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad keyboard lag in Win10: Hello All. I'm a relatively new Windows user so please bear with me. I have a newish 2019 Dell XPS 13 laptop. Everything else is fine except that there is a really annoying keyboard lag when typing. This is in all applications. I have tried: 1. From Driver Manager,...
  8. Apps Shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps Shortcut: Is there a way to put a Windows app shortcut on the desktop? (Such as Microsoft Solitaire Collection) 93811
  9. Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts lagging.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts lagging.: Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts(either single key or ctrl alt) take for about 5-6 seconds to start. Even notepad.... 36530
  10. Win10 Keyboard Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Keyboard Shortcuts: On Windows 7 I used a keyboard shortcut (win+shift+left/right arrow) to quickly move a window between my laptop screen and external monitor. This is no longer working for me in Win10. Is that just me (does it work for you?) or did MS take this shortcut out of Win 10? TIA....