Windows 10: Win10 computer suddenly not able to access ONE of the computers on my

Discus and support Win10 computer suddenly not able to access ONE of the computers on my in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As of three weeks ago, my Win10 laptop suddenly thinks it doesn't have permission to access ONE of the other computers on my home network. It had been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by N4AOF, Oct 6, 2020.

1. N4AOF Win User

Win10 computer suddenly not able to access ONE of the computers on my

As of three weeks ago, my Win10 laptop suddenly thinks it doesn't have permission to access ONE of the other computers on my home network. It had been working until then. [Note: most of this post is copied from the post I made in the Microsoft Community windows forum shortly after the problem started - no responses in the three weeks it was posted there, and in fact apparently I am the only person who has even viewed the post. I'm editing this lightly as I go, but most of the text is what I posted a few days after the problem started.]

There are three computers on the home network (occasionally one more but not right now). The three computers are this Win10 laptop, one Win7 desktop, and one Win7 laptop. All three computers are supposed to be able to have full access to the shared folders on the other computers. All three computers have successfully had full access to the shared folders on the other computers for the past year until just suddenly.

Both laptops are connected to the same wi-fi router which is wired to the desktop.

Suddenly the Win10 laptop won't access the Win7 laptop. It just says

Win10 computer suddenly not able to access ONE of the computers on my [​IMG]

The help link provided is, of course, completely useless.

Each of the computers on the network shows all three computers in the Network - just as they always have.

The Win7 desktop still has full access to both the Win10 laptop and the Win7 laptop.

The Win7 laptop still has full access to both the Win10 laptop and the Win7 desktop

The Win10 laptop still has full access to the Win7 desktop but no access at all to the Win7 laptop.

I have checked the sharing permissions on the Win7 laptop and I cannot find anything that has changed or anything that would prevent the Win10 laptop from accessing the Public folders on the Win7 laptop.

I know that I have not changed any settings on any of these computers anytime recently - certainly not in the last few days prior to the sudden problem.

Since the original post, the only thing new is the forced update to Windows version 10.0.19041 which of course broke several programs and settings and which turned on "Password protected sharing" (which had been off -- and is now off again). Other than temporarily breaking network access to the Win 10 laptop from the two Win 7 systems (now fixed), the latest update hasn't changed the problem in this thread.

The Win 10 laptop still has no problem having read/write access to the shared folders on my Win7 desktop, but it still refuses to access anything on the Win7 laptop - not even the "public" folders.

:)

N4AOF, Oct 6, 2020
  2. asus2016 Win User

Win10 computer suddenly unable to access printer on home wifi

For some reason, the printer lasted less than 24 hours printing correctly, and now I again can't fix it, even by doing what "worked" before (Comment #6 upthread).

Regarding the static IP suggestion:
    1. The printer is connected via USB to a Windows 7 computer on the home network. It's not on the network by IP address. Here is a screenshot of the printer port properties.
      Win10 computer suddenly not able to access ONE of the computers on my [​IMG]
    2. Although there ARE "headaches" as is said above, the vast majority of the other computers on the home wifi network, NEVER have had a problem printing to it. And this applies to computers that have run XP, Win7, Win10, and MacOS. For the most part until now, it's included the particular Win10 computer in question.
    3. If I still might be able to give it a static IP address, will this affect the other computers that have been able to print to it fine using printer name?

asus2016, Oct 6, 2020
  3. taward Win User
    One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Oct 6, 2020
  4. asus2016 Win User

Win10 computer suddenly unable to access printer on home wifi

I was not able to ping the Win7 machine.

However headache-ridden this setup might be, I've had it for close to a decade, and remote machines - XP and Win7 and Win10 and Mac - have all easily printed from it. As did this, until it stopped working.

Two other questions:
    1. How does one this SMBv1 issue you suggest? Sorry, not familiar with that term.
    2. In looking at the event viewer, I am seeing near-daily critical errors from the machine being powered off by the button, versus the normal Windows shutdown (and will address with the family member who has the machine). Could this have been the cause of it suddenly not working? And any suggestions to look at and fix whatever may be wrong, if this is a possible cause?

asus2016, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Win10 computer suddenly not able to access ONE of the computers on my - Similar Threads - Win10 computer suddenly

2. computer is not able to access the Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer is not able to access the Server: Communication over LAN: scenario: Computer A and Server B at same data network.a. Suddenly the computer is not able to access the Server B.What can be the root cause? and steps to solve it?[moved from de-de]...
  3. computer is not able to access the Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer is not able to access the Server: Communication over LAN: scenario: Computer A and Server B at same data network.a. Suddenly the computer is not able to access the Server B.What can be the root cause? and steps to solve it?[moved from de-de]...
  4. Sudden Access denied to certain websites on my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sudden Access denied to certain websites on my computer: While on my PC at night, my computer all of sudden lost access to certain websites and I tried a going to reset now and do Clean boot, and still same thing.Such as login.live.com is a website that I can't access, won't allow me to login to my Microsoft account not matter what...
  5. How to access one win10 desktop computer from another?

How to access one win10 desktop computer from another?: I have two Win10 desktop computers, each connected by a cable to a single modem/router. I would like to set up a "network" which will allow me to access files on one computer from another and vice versa. Any suggestions on how to do this?...
  6. Remotely accessing one of my other computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remotely accessing one of my other computer: Is there a way I can remotely open a computer that has my microsoft account as the administrative account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remotely-accessing-one-of-my-other-computer/60e12cfc-cb51-4765-a84b-66237aad8e3b
  7. Computer not able to access one DFS path

Computer not able to access one DFS path: Hello all, Here's the situation: A computer doesn't have access to a DFS path. The same user can access the dfs when he tries from another computer. The drive maps is deployed by GPO. The GPO is configured for Users, not computers. These are the steps that I followed:...
  8. Can't access one computer on my network

Can't access one computer on my network: I have a strange problem and can't find an answer. My network has the following computers: -Win 10 Pro desktop -Win 10 Home laptop -Win 7 desktop From the laptop, I can't see or access the Win 10 Pro desktop but I can see and access the Win 7 desktop. I can see and access...
  9. Be able to access computer via tv?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Be able to access computer via tv?: How to access computer on Sony Bravia TV? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/be-able-to-access-computer-via-tv/4ea30deb-ea2f-4853-b678-9e662b4bc4b4"
  10. Win10 computer suddenly unable to access printer on home wifi

Win10 computer suddenly unable to access printer on home wifi: A computer that, for as long as we've had it - 2-3 years I think - has printed fine on our shared home printer, now cannot. The computer in question is a Windows 10 computer. The printer is Canon iP4800, that is USB connected to a Windows 7 computer, but accessed through...