Windows 10: Win10 connections on local network - only partial visibility

Discus and support Win10 connections on local network - only partial visibility in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm starting a new thread for this, because it is a somewhat different issue than my previous thread. We have two machines; my machine is Win10 Pro,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gorlash, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Gorlash Win User

Win10 connections on local network - only partial visibility

I'm starting a new thread for this, because it is a somewhat different issue than my previous thread.

We have two machines; my machine is Win10 Pro, my wife's is Win10 Home.
    I have followed the instructions in:
    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10

The only difference between the two, is that the SMP settings differ slightly since hers is Win10 Home.

So, after logout/login, on *her* machine, both of our machines are visible on the network, and all shared folders are accessible.

However, on *my* machine, only my machine is visible and accessible, her machine does not show up.
    I *do* have network discovery enabled, on both machines.
    Interestingly, I can type \\her_IP_address on the Explorer address bar, and then her machine pops up, and all shared folders are accessible - my machine just can't find her on the network search, for some reason.

Does anyone know what this means??
    It's actually not a major issue, since presumably her IP address won't change very often.
    But it *is* curious, and if I can fix it easily, I'm just as happy to do so...

:)

Gorlash, Mar 2, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

How to get our Win10 machines visible on local network??

That's what I've always said, yes.

Win10 connections on local network - only partial visibility [​IMG]

dalchina, Mar 2, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    Often the problem consists of 2 bits.

1) To be visible to Windows Machines (other than Windows 10 only network) you need to enable SMBV1 in the turn on Windows features etc.

2) On Linux type NAS systems in the SAMBA.Config file (usually in /etc/samba.conf) in the [global] section

min protocol = NT1

(also if sharing / visibility to XP / Vista systems required add the following lines as well
    lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

Also on the Windows 10 system allow incoming connections to this computer.

You might also need to fiddle around with both your router and windows firewalls.

Here's one of My NAS systems samba config file

[global]
    min protocol = NT1
    # can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.
    #
    workgroup = VIKINGURS
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

; max protocol = SMB2

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    netbios name = hestur
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

; local master = yes
    ; preferred master = yes
    ; os level = 10

load printers = yes
    cups options = raw

; printcap name = /etc/printcap
    # obtain a list of printers automatically on UNIX System V systems:
    ; printcap name = lpstat
    ; printing = cups

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories

Here for example is a Windows XP VM system that has no problem seeing anything else on my LAN (currently 1 W10 VM system and 2 NAS systems (Hestur and Wulf) apart from the XP system itself.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 2, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Agreed.. there are more tutorials linked, as usual, below the main text. You may find more from comments following too.

And here's a search hint: note the search format:

dalchina, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Win10 connections on local network - only partial visibility - Similar Threads - Win10 connections local

2. Inconsistent Computer Visibility Across Win10 Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inconsistent Computer Visibility Across Win10 Network: Hello all. I have three computers, let's call them A, B, and C, As much as possible, they are set up identically. But clearly, something isn't.Searching the internet is yielding some good answers, but also a lot of obsolete ones. So let's call this the Aug-2021 edition of...
  3. PC only partially connected to home network

PC only partially connected to home network: I have 2 Windows 10 PCs and a new smart TV LGwebOS connected to a wifi network. The PCs have been able to recognise each other in the past but this has become more problematic after recent Windows updates.Currently PC-B is recognised on the network by PC-A and by the TV, and...
  4. Network visibility

Network visibility: Just got a new modem and my W10 won't see it but does see some others. What can I do? I have rebooted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-visibility/c79d97d3-c6c8-4348-b742-5feced4ce874
  5. only partial connection to wireless display

only partial connection to wireless display: I have a fairly new 70 inch Samsung smart TV that operates wirelessly. I was hoping to watch dvds by playing them on my desktop pc and projecting them to the smart TV. I am able to wirelessly project from my laptop (which has no dvd drive) to the TV, but when I try to do the...
  6. How to get our Win10 machines visible on local network??

How to get our Win10 machines visible on local network??: This is really annoying!! When our machines were Win7, it was trivial to make the machines visible on our local network, and then share folders. Now that we both have Win10 machines, though, it seems to be almost impossible!! I've followed all the varying instructions that...
  7. Internet connection only partially gone. What is that?

Internet connection only partially gone. What is that?: Howdy! For years I have had the problem that on my Win10 PC the internet is only partially gone. I start up the PC as usual, Windows starts and the WLAN reception is displayed in the task bar in the bottom right corner. However, most Internet pages show that they could...
  8. Wifi not visible on my Win10, can't connect

Wifi not visible on my Win10, can't connect: Over the last 2 days I had a big trouble with my wificonnection. Since 2 days I can't see my wifi on my computer. The other connections are available and i can connect to them. But not with my own. On other computers the wifi is available and i can connect with them. But on...
  9. create a win10 local private network

create a win10 local private network: I have 3 win10 computers. I wish to have them on a private local network. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-win10-local-private-network/c1425957-1f51-4889-8cf8-9879cf32e0a2
  10. Printer visible on network but can't connect

Printer visible on network but can't connect: Hello, all. Any help much appreciated: just switched to Win 10. My HP wifi-connected printer shows up as a device on my network, but the printer connect wizard can't find it. Have reconnected printer a few times, restarted, etc. Still can't connect. Need to fix this one...