Windows 10: Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to...

Discus and support Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have set Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as my default app for file type .PDF using windows system settings. This functions properly for a few hours, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lightyear66, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to...

I have set Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as my default app for file type .PDF using windows system settings. This functions properly for a few hours, then windows automatically resets the default app for PDF files to Microsoft Edge. I really prefer Acrobat and it is very annoying to have to manually reset the default app type daily. Is there a way to prevent Windows 10 from changing my default app for a specified file type without my permission? I have Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299 and the latest Acrobat PDF reader app from Adobe (version 2018.011.20055). I occasionally used Edge for other internet browsing, but would like to disable it completely because of this bad behavior. Did Microsoft really program this behavior intentionally (to not allow a user to select his default app of choice), or is there some root cause for this crazy hijacking of default programs?

I have seen posts that suggest changes to the registry to stop this repeated changing of the default app for PDF files (see example), but am a little afraid to edit the registry on my business computer. My IT department will not be happy if something goes wrong.

:)

lightyear66, Sep 20, 2018

2. app default setting by file type

Hi Richard,

We understand that you're having issues with the default file app association on your computer. To assist you with your concern, you may refer to the steps below on how to change the default setting of your application:

• In Search Windows textbox, search for choose a default app for each type of file and set .PDF and any other file extensions to point to your choice for default
      programs. Do not use Adobe Reader to set the association.
    • Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 and locate the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file. Make a backup of it just in case.
    • Open the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file and keep it open using
      Notepad.exe.
    • Open PowerShell or CMD and run it as Administrator.
    • Enter the following: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\AppAssoc.xml
    • Open C:\AppAssoc.xml with Notepad.exe
    • Copy the entire contents of AppAssoc.xml and replace the entire content of OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Save OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Delete C:\AppAssoc.xml (optional).

After doing the steps, you may now change the default file app association for opening .pdf.

Do update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Stephanie Sal, Sep 20, 2018
  3. setting default app by file type

How do you set the Kindle app to be defaulted to .mobi file type? I don't find the .mobi file type listed as a file type.

FloydYoung, Sep 20, 2018
  4. Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to...

Unable to set a default app to open a particular file type on Windows 10.

Hi David,

The above issue might have occurred due to the presence of missing system files and folders on the computer.

Before we assist further, did you try setting the default file type application from system
    Settings page?

Follow the steps below to set default program/application to open a particular file from system
    Settings page and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Scroll down the page and click on Choose default apps by file type from the window.

• Locate the file format, click on the program which is set to open the file type and select the application you want to set from
      Choose an App window.

• Close the window and check if you are able to open the file type in the application set as default.

Write to us with the status of the default application issues experienced on the PC on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to...

1. Win10 continually changes the default application type for file types that I have set to... - Similar Threads - Win10 continually changes

2. How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type: Hi, I wish to change "jpg" files type to open in Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor but Windows no longer offer the choice to navigate to my PC "PhotoshopElementEditor.exe" file. How can I change this? Thanks,...
  3. File type change issue - win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File type change issue - win10: I double-clicked on this file: Karen 05.FAB. This action should have sent the file to the cloud and pasted a picture of a fabric inside a program. That did not happen this time. The action successfully did the correct thing several times prior to this, so I assume I pressed...
  4. Change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  5. Setting default program by file type

Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...
  6. Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

Can you automate changing default application for a file type?: I have an application (WPS Office) which repeatedly hijacks the default application setting for PDF away from Acrobat Reader to itself. I don't want this and it wastes a good deal of my time as I keep on setting it back to where it should be. Is there a way, such as a...
  7. Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you automate changing default application for a file type?: I have an application (WPS Office) which repeatedly hijacks the default application setting for PDF away from Acrobat Reader to itself. I don't want this and it wastes a good deal of my time as I keep on setting it back to where it should be. Is there a way, such as a...
  8. Changing Default Program for File Type

Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...
  9. Change default program for file types

Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...
  10. Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst

Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst: I some how changed file type .dst to open with Corel Draw. I need to change it back to unknown application. I am operating with Windows 10. I have tried going through control panel/default programs/ however it forces me to pick an application, no option for "unknown...