Windows 10: Win10 crahed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10

Discus and support Win10 crahed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I really haven't a clue where to post this so forgive me. Three days ago, I came back to my sleeping computer and got nothing when I moved the mouse.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gomer, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Gomer Win User

Win10 crahed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10

I really haven't a clue where to post this so forgive me.

Three days ago, I came back to my sleeping computer and got nothing when I moved the mouse. Tried to reboot, but had to unplug power to the machine for 30 seconds, then the bios came up. When I finally was able to sign in to Windows, nearly every shortcut was missing, and I mean EVERY one. Microsoft wanted me to sign in by telling me to Sign Out (which meant Restart), and after stupidly trying that a number of times to no avail, I gave up. Process Explorer wanted me to Agree to its use, Firefox wanted me to open an account (fortunately I had it synced to my phone) but all was blank. Win10 was happy I choose it and wanted to take me on a tour. It's like I just bought the computer and had to initiate everything.

The A-Z list of programs was there on the Start Menu, but clicking on them brought up a popup telling me that I didn't have that program installed. Using Explorer brought up blank folders for documents, downloads, until I started to panic that all my files were destroyed.

I then tried System Restore, going back a day, then 2 days, then 5 days, until I was back at version 1903. Always the same situation, nothing remembered from the past. In previous Windows there was a WinIni file with all the remembered settings, if my memory serves me well, and this was as if that file had disappeared. Finally, I quit Restoring (many hours of waiting) because I was tired of having to re-sign in to browser, etc. And I was resigned to reloading all my files from backup.

At some point of going through Explorer, I got to This PC/C:/Users/, and there were most of the documents except those just temporary desktop files. Clicking on an Excel, or Word, file opened up the file after telling Word my name and initials.

So my question to you all is:
    Is there a file in Win10 that stores all the settings for programs, libraries (Quick access only has Docs, Downloads, Pictures, Music, Videos, ditto for under This PC), programs, even my password manager, which came up blank? Or am I going to have to start from scratch with each program?

Let me know if you would like to see anything, screen shots or log files. BTW I'm getting old (77) and a bit rusty so be patient with my forgetfulness. I started out with DOS 2.0 and it's been downhill ever since. LOL

Thanks for all your good help and please Stay Safe, G

:)

Gomer, Mar 29, 2020
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Ikaruga Win User
    GeForce Hotfix driver 353.38 (Update: Win10 versions added)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...vers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-38/

Update: Windows 10 (international) versions below:
    Win10 - 64 bit desktop
    Win10 - 32 bit desktop
    Win10 - 64 bit notebook
    Win10 - 32 bit notebook

Ikaruga, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Win10 crahed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10

Win10 updates

Other than privacy issues, overall win10 is better that 8.1 metro crap

DeathtoGnomes, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Win10 crahed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10

1. Win10 crahed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10 - Similar Threads - Win10 crahed Shortcuts

2. Win10 Screen Saver Shortcut Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Screen Saver Shortcut Not Working: In windows\system32 I find bubbles.scr, right click and send shortcut to desktop. When I click the desktop short cut I get the windows popup asking which program I'd like to use to open the file. I've had a screensaver shortcut on the desktop for many years and just today it...
  3. Win10 Screen Saver Shortcut Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 Screen Saver Shortcut Not Working: In windows\system32 I find bubbles.scr, right click and send shortcut to desktop. When I click the desktop short cut I get the windows popup asking which program I'd like to use to open the file. I've had a screensaver shortcut on the desktop for many years and just today it...
  4. Latest Win10 update shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest Win10 update shortcut arrows: The latest update added symbols or arrows to all of my desktop shortcuts.How do I get rid of them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/latest-win10-update-shortcut-arrows/0e3972d3-d9c0-467c-9dcf-b4634f420879
  5. Latest Win10 update shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Win10 update shortcut arrows: The latest update added symbols or arrows to all of my desktop shortcuts.How do I get rid of them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/latest-win10-update-shortcut-arrows/0e3972d3-d9c0-467c-9dcf-b4634f420879
  6. Win10 crashed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 crashed, no Shortcuts. Is there a WinIni file in Win10: I really haven't a clue where to post this so forgive me. Three days ago, I came back to my sleeping computer and got nothing when I moved the mouse. Tried to reboot, but had to unplug power to the machine for 30 seconds, then the bios came up. When I finally was able to...
  7. Win10 Excel 365 - no favorites? Shortcuts?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Win10 Excel 365 - no favorites? Shortcuts?: In Excel 2010 (and Win7 File Explorer) we were able to have Favorites(shortcuts) which we could rename. Now , in Win10 with Office 365 we have Quick Access files which are merely pinned links to directories. The issue becomes when your file hierarchy is regularly filed by...
  8. Win10 app shortcuts lag

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 app shortcuts lag: Win10 Pro 64bit v10.0117134 Build 17134 Ryxen5 1600X 3600Mhz 8mg matched ram 160Gb free KB4340917 installed 01/08/18 Prior to that update, last kb4345421 on 24/07, I was getting various sytem lags, ie click an app shortcut no reaction fo a few seconds, no hour glass, the...
  9. Keyboard shortcuts not working properly in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard shortcuts not working properly in Win10: I upgraded Win 8.1 to 10x64 on my Surface Pro 2. Now, when I press the End key in Explorer, nothing happens. I am not taken to the last file in the file view pane. In Excel 2010, Ctrl-Home minimizes my worksheet instead of taking me to Cell A1. I restored Win 8.1, but the...
  10. Win10 Keyboard Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Keyboard Shortcuts: On Windows 7 I used a keyboard shortcut (win+shift+left/right arrow) to quickly move a window between my laptop screen and external monitor. This is no longer working for me in Win10. Is that just me (does it work for you?) or did MS take this shortcut out of Win 10? TIA....