Windows 10: Win10 crash -- now can't restore, recover, or reinstall

Discus and support Win10 crash -- now can't restore, recover, or reinstall in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been up all night trying to restore my son's gaming PC. He had modded the game Far Cry 2 from a third-party site, and the crash happened maybe a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nhsteno, Apr 3, 2020.

1. nhsteno Win User

Win10 crash -- now can't restore, recover, or reinstall

I have been up all night trying to restore my son's gaming PC. He had modded the game Far Cry 2 from a third-party site, and the crash happened maybe a half day to a day later. Not sure if this is related but figured it is good background.

We do not have an image backup of the PC. Sure wish I had thought to do that beforehand.

Using a USB repair USB stick I had created, I tried repairing the drive. I also tried restoring the drive. I tried scandisk from a command prompt. No errors found.

I tried Ubuntu on USB to try to back up some of his files. It was not readable. I tried Rescuezilla on USB. No dice.

I concluded I would need to reinstall Windows. I found a hack online that said to type in Notepad.exe from a command prompt, which would get you into Explorer so that you could send files to an external drive. He and I pulled off what we could.

Then I tried to reinstall Windows from the recovery USB stick. I clicked the Remove My Files button and it got to 1% and then quit.

Clean install time. So I tried to reinstall Windows with a USB stick made from Media Creation Tool 1903. I chose partition 3 from the SSD, which is where the first W10 installation was. This actually looked like it worked. Then the system rebooted right back to the install window like nothing ever happened. I tried it again ... same result. I tried it again and removed the USB stick. The computer booted into BIOS and continued to do that multiple times even as I inserted the install USB, which was no longer recognized.

So I went back to the recovery stick and tried again to do a restore. Nope.

I am out of options and am about ready to fling this $2,000+ item out my front door at this point. I am also severely lacking in sleep and good humor, so I'm going to go take a nap and check back here later.

Thanks for any possible advice you can provide. And maybe calling Corsair would be a good idea, too ... if they are even open. I consider them essential, even if the government doesn't!!

Deanna

:)

nhsteno, Apr 3, 2020

2. *RESOLUTION FOUND*Malwarebytes crashing on Win10 insider Bld. Rootkit related errors?

Ill try tomorrow am.
    Aside from OS reinstall, your suggestion is one of the only steps I haven't taken yet.

Im gonna get some sleep and come at this with a fresh head tomorrow

Thanks everyone

jboydgolfer, Apr 3, 2020
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Apr 3, 2020
  4. Win10 crash -- now can't restore, recover, or reinstall

Possible to recover raid

ok so it said i need 3000tb of storage to recover.

trying w1zzards suggestion.

the raid was never disabled, it was still intact but when i reinstalled xp it showed up as a fat12 file system.

freaksavior, Apr 3, 2020
Thema:

Win10 crash -- now can't restore, recover, or reinstall

1. Win10 crash -- now can't restore, recover, or reinstall - Similar Threads - Win10 crash can't

2. Recover and restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover and restore: I moved files to I Google safe folder, and moved them out then the screen got blank, afterwards I never saw them.they were not backed up. So how can I find them and restore them?...
  3. Recover and restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover and restore: I moved files to I Google safe folder, and moved them out then the screen got blank, afterwards I never saw them.they were not backed up. So how can I find them and restore them?...
  4. FSX reinstall after WIN10 crash

FSX reinstall after WIN10 crash: After my PC crash and reinstall of WIN10 I now attempted to reinstall FSX. WIN10 version 20H2 Home EditionFSX Gold EditionDownloaded and installed DirectX from a link mentioned in the forum. Message that a more recent Direct X was present so it did not install.Inserted Disk 1...
  5. Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.: Hello everyone- Having a problem restoring a Win10 "backup and restore" save. W10 won't see it, and I think possibly there are some files missing. I'm super frustrated and hopefully someone here can help! Thanks in advance! Basic details: Lenovo 720s Laptop Win 10 Home I...
  6. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  7. Can't Reinstall/Restore Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't Reinstall/Restore Microsoft Store: Hello. I can't seem to reinstall windows store. I've tried the commands on powershell (a couple) and 2 o 3 more solutions that I found online but none of them worked. Should note that I once used a debloater but I have restored windows since then, I don't know if that could...
  8. Restored, Windows apps wouldn't update, now I can't reinstall Store.

Restored, Windows apps wouldn't update, now I can't reinstall Store.: As the title suggests. I was following threads on here and microsofthelp actually, using powershell and 10AppsManager. I can't seem to reinstall the Microsoft Store at all now. 130690
  9. Win10 Crashed and can't reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Crashed and can't reinstall: My Windows 10 Pro (64bit) crashed on this last Saturday. After trying many suggested solutions, I finally use the Microsoft Update and Windows 10 was back. I used my backup program and restored the previous backup. All appeared okay. The most recent Windows update was...
  10. Win10 Crashed Not able to reinstall

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Crashed Not able to reinstall: My Windows 10 Pro (64bit) crashed on this last Saturday. After trying many suggested solutions, I finally use the Microsoft Update and Windows 10 was back. I used my backup program and restored the previous backup. All appeared okay. The most recent Windows update was...