Windows 10: WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens

Discus and support WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 (1809). If I create new files or try to delete recent files, no problem (go right to the recycle bin). If I try to delete old files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pitflyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. pitflyer Win User

WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens

Running Windows 10 (1809). If I create new files or try to delete recent files, no problem (go right to the recycle bin). If I try to delete old files or folders, I press the delete button (or select the delete button in File Explorer, or do Shift-Delete), nothing happens. No message, no removal. Just me pressing away on delete and nothing happening at all.

Tried some troubleshooting already but running out of ideas:

1) Rebooted. No change.

2) Reviewed permissions to files - full control.

3) Tried deleting from OneDrive web through browser and having it Sync the change. No change (it doesn't appear in web One Drive but is still on my local hard drive).

4) Tried pausing OneDrive in case the process had some files locked, no Change.

5) Did SFC scan - all good no issues.

6) Did Anti-Virus and Malware Scans - all clean.

7) Thought it might be corrupt recycle bins so using Admin rights at the Command Prompt, did rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin on both my C and storage drive partitions and rebooted. No change.

Only thing I have found that works is if I cut and paste the file/ folder to my desktop, I can delete it from there. A workaround, but this isn't really solving the problem.

I suppose I could delete the recycle bins and I think they would get recreated on reboot, right but not sure if that is different than what I already tried in Troubleshooting #7 already.

Any ideas?

:)

pitflyer, Jan 13, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jan 13, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jan 13, 2019
  4. WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens

0 byte folder cannot be deleted Problem

I have a 0 byte folder and I can't delete it. I'm using win 7 64 bit.
    please help *Cry :cry:

It says access denied when trying, please login as admin blah blah msgs....

I've searched the net for hours, Trying unlocker, fileassassin, and all other 'file deleter' programs out there. tried on safe mode, tried the cmd commands, even in cmd it says access denied, tried the closing explorer.exe and doing the command. I tried changing permissions and atrributes and it says you do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings. I logged in as the Administrator and still no hope.

the folder originally contained all my movies but since then i moved(using the move command) all of them someplace else(on another hdd) and I thought it was gone but the folder is still there, 0 bytes. It was shared when i deleted it and still appeared on the shared folders list but inaccessible coz it was already deleted so i 'unshared' the folder from the shared folders list. and so the problem began. the folder is still there and it is undeletable

One surefire way to do it without deleting my files is copying all other files to another HDD and reformat it and copy it back again but my hdd is currently contains 1 tb out of 1.36 and i dont have any hdds with that free space to use.

ALSO I CAN'T OPEN THE FOLDER it says

Location is not available

'directory' is not accessible.
    Access is Denied.

i think its more of a windows glitch than a virus problem

help??? *Frown WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens :(

lyndonguitar, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens

1. WIN10: Delete File or Folder - Nothing Happens - Similar Threads - WIN10 Delete File

2. Some of file deleted and did nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some of file deleted and did nothing: HelloI turn on my pc today and i saw some of apps and game uninstall with out do any thing i mean i did nothing before i trun off my pc last night mostly playing game and watching stream after that i tought is random bug or smt and try to reset my pc again and my search bar...
  3. Some of file deleted and did nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some of file deleted and did nothing: HelloI turn on my pc today and i saw some of apps and game uninstall with out do any thing i mean i did nothing before i trun off my pc last night mostly playing game and watching stream after that i tought is random bug or smt and try to reset my pc again and my search bar...
  4. Some of file deleted and did nothing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Download and nothing happen

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Download and nothing happen: I have strange issues in store where I can download application but after the installation and I close the MS Store the app will not be on the list of download apps. I tried different apps to test but got the same result. I checked on the library as well it is not showing...
  6. Download and nothing happen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download and nothing happen: I have strange issues in store where I can download application but after the installation and I close the MS Store the app will not be on the list of download apps. I tried different apps to test but got the same result. I checked on the library as well it is not showing...
  7. Download and nothing happen

8. Delete a folder that sghows but is not there WIN10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete a folder that sghows but is not there WIN10 Pro: I have two folders shown in my explorer but when I try to delete them i get an error message that they do not exist. I can open the folders and se files in them but they can not be deleted. How do I delete the "ghostfolders"?...
  9. Delete a folder that sghows but is not there WIN10 Pro

Delete a folder that sghows but is not there WIN10 Pro: I have two folders shown in my explorer but when I try to delete them i get an error message that they do not exist. I can open the folders and se files in them but they can not be deleted. How do I delete the "ghostfolders"?...
  10. Win10 Deleted Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Deleted Folders: I have Windows 10 Pro v1909 18363.1802 My SSD boot drive C: has 10GB free of 74. Abruptly last weekend there was like 20 minutes of continuous drive activity. There was no message or alert from Windows. After the drive activity, everything continued fine. HOWEVER, when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. click on foder to delete nothing happens

2. nothing happens when i click delete windows 10

3. nothing happens when copying files in win 10

4. what happens to a file sitting in recycle bin when this bin is emptied? win 10,
  5. win10 delete files for imaging,
  6. win10 command prompt c:\ drive have no windows\system32 file solve ,
  7. nothing happen when delete folder windows