Windows 10: Win10 Desktop - F6 turns my Wifi off, - how to I reassign this key ?

Discus and support Win10 Desktop - F6 turns my Wifi off, - how to I reassign this key ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want the F6 key to do something else, but it is being (at some stage) assigned to "turn off wifi". I don't know what program or task is setting F6... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bansaw, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Bansaw Win User

Win10 Desktop - F6 turns my Wifi off, - how to I reassign this key ?

I want the F6 key to do something else, but it is being (at some stage) assigned to "turn off wifi".

I don't know what program or task is setting F6 to do this. I have a desktop win10 latest update.

How do I find out what program is assinging this ? I checked my startup but nothing seems to be obvious.

:)

Bansaw, Nov 27, 2017
  2. Andrea_DV Win User

Network icon disappeared from taskbar after Windows 10 Update 1511

I have this problem also on an Alienware 15. I noticed that the problem is the fact that after win10 upgrade the Fn key is assigned to airplane mode and not to wifi toggle on/off. In windows 10 airplane mode icons override all. But if I turn off only wifi
    (with the icon on the tray) all work like before.

It seems that windows 10 when in airplane mode behave in that way, it would be usefull to reassign the FN+f2 key to wifi toggle and not o airplane mode!

Andrea_DV, Nov 27, 2017
  3. epetru Win User
    Cursor has disappeared with Windows 10 update

on my Lenovo, the Fn-F6 (or F6 depending on how the bios is setup) turns the mouse ON/OFF. After returning from Sleep mode, my cursor does not appear until I hit that Fn key 2X

epetru, Nov 27, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Is this a laptop? If so, what is the make/model of the laptop? Generally with laptops the Fkey are predesignated and most of the time they are dual purpose key functions. Most of the time the keys are labeled as to what function they do. The vendor has a software/driver package for that and sometimes it's wrapped up/in with another driver/software package.

Plankton, Nov 27, 2017
  5. Bansaw Win User
    Desktop.

Bansaw, Nov 27, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    And....the make/model?

Plankton, Nov 27, 2017
  7. Bansaw Win User
    I built it myself, and installed a fresh, straight Win10 OS.
    Thanks.

Bansaw, Nov 27, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Ahh...congrats on the build. You might want to change your system specs then....it lists a laptop. What keyboard are you using?

Plankton, Nov 27, 2017
  9. Bansaw Win User
    Bansaw, Nov 27, 2017
  10. sml156 Win User
    If you installed the software for that keyboard you should be able to disable the Hotkeys, If not there is probably a key labeled Fn that should help

sml156, Nov 27, 2017
  11. Bansaw Win User
    Thanks, --- there's no software for kboard. Its just plug and play.
    I think F6 is hardwired to turn off wifi, and other keys on the keyboard are hardwired to do other stuff like increase / decrease volume.

Bansaw, Nov 27, 2017
  12. Plankton Win User
    You can try some 3rd party software.....it might work for you. Just do a search for it and pick one.

Plankton, Nov 27, 2017
  13. sml156 Win User

I can not think of any reputable name for the software you need but what you are looking for is remapping keyboard software. And as far as I know there is no open source so you will have to pay for it. Probably cheaper to buy a new keyboard

I actually made the same mistake when I bought a keyboard for my media center that had a mouse pad on it with no way have a middle mouse click and until recently had no reliable way to disable F1 to F12 from media key's to a normal keyboard.

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Desktop - F6 turns my Wifi off, - how to I reassign this key ? - Similar Threads - Win10 Desktop turns

2. How to turn off a built-in wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off a built-in wifi: I have a windows 11 desktop pc and a laptop.I have bought a wifi dongle you plug into a USB 3 port and the instructions say that I should first turn off the built-in wifi when using it on a laptop. Does anybody know how I can turn off the the built-in wifi?...
  3. How to turn off a built-in wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off a built-in wifi: I have a windows 11 desktop pc and a laptop.I have bought a wifi dongle you plug into a USB 3 port and the instructions say that I should first turn off the built-in wifi when using it on a laptop. Does anybody know how I can turn off the the built-in wifi?...
  4. How to turn off a built-in wifi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. WiFi on desktop keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi on desktop keeps turning off: I have had this issue for years and it is getting really annoying. This is my second desktop, with this issue, so it is not the PC. I am also using a different WiFi mesh system. Almost every day, I find that WiFi needs to be turned back on. This is totally messing up my...
  6. WiFi on desktop keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi on desktop keeps turning off: I have had this issue for years and it is getting really annoying. This is my second desktop, with this issue, so it is not the PC. I am also using a different WiFi mesh system. Almost every day, I find that WiFi needs to be turned back on. This is totally messing up my...
  7. WiFi on desktop keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. how do I reassign keys on my keyboard?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do I reassign keys on my keyboard?: Hi Using a PC so keyboard is all inclusive in pc. Having just installed windows 10.. onto my samsung PC..all works well so far... BUT....my m is not working. I have to cut and paste a 'm' to insert one. When using windows 7 it was an easy fix with 'Sharpkeys' programe, and...
  9. function keys f6, f7 and f8 suddenly turned off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    function keys f6, f7 and f8 suddenly turned off: the three sound keys on laptop suddenly stopped working - no sound from the computer. Happened when I ran a movie on You Tube. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/function-keys-f6-f7-and-f8-suddenly-turned-off/8e6b2dd0-d2f9-4522-8ca0-73676dd004de
  10. How to reassign a keyboard key combination to a specific key?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reassign a keyboard key combination to a specific key?: How can I set "Ctrl+J" combination (witch means "í" character on a 101 keys hungarian keyboard) to another key? Forexample, Ctrl+J = Left Win button. I wont do changes directly in registry. I tried several softwares (SharpKeys, KeyExtender, KeyTweak...), but no one can handle...