Windows 10: Win10 desktop screen locks up, video driver issue?

Discus and support Win10 desktop screen locks up, video driver issue? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone: I've been struggling with this issue for a while now, so I'm curious if anyone can give me some fresh input on it. I'm asking about my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ahmd, Mar 8, 2019.

1. ahmd Win User

Win10 desktop screen locks up, video driver issue?

Hi everyone:

I've been struggling with this issue for a while now, so I'm curious if anyone can give me some fresh input on it. I'm asking about my Dell desktop that has Windows 10 Pro installed. Sometimes for no apparent reason the screen locks up on some "ghost" image of whatever was happening at the time. (Last one, I was firing up Chrome browser.) Note that it doesn't cause a blue screen of death. It just locks up everything and the only way to restore it is to press and hold the power button.

Then when Windows boots up it acts as nothing happened.

So I went to dxdiag.exe and pulled up the system and graphics card info:

Win10 desktop screen locks up, video driver issue? HtLi2yz.png

and this one:

Win10 desktop screen locks up, video driver issue? X4AfmR5.png

The driver looks old, but when I went to the AMD site that's the one they had available for my system.

So at this point I just assumed that it was a video driver, but now I'm not sure.

Is there a way to at least see what's causing those freezes? Any ideas?

:)

ahmd, Mar 8, 2019
  2. Ikaruga Win User

GeForce Hotfix driver 353.38 (Update: Win10 versions added)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...vers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-38/

Update: Windows 10 (international) versions below:
    Win10 - 64 bit desktop
    Win10 - 32 bit desktop
    Win10 - 64 bit notebook
    Win10 - 32 bit notebook

Ikaruga, Mar 8, 2019
  3. Lock Screen Image Issue

Hi Kirby,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

I would suggest you to set the default pictures as the Lock Screen picture from the PC and check if it works or not.

Follow the steps below:

• In start type "settings" and press enter.
    • Select Personalize
    • From the left click on "Lock screen"
    • Select the default picture and conform by preview.
    Please do get back to us to assist you better with issue you are facing.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 8, 2019
  4. Win10 desktop screen locks up, video driver issue?

Lock screen not working properly on Windows 10 computer.

Hi Oshith,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in lock screen settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "It is not flapped over to password when clicking", you tried to check the issue by clicking through external mouse?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the picture of the lock screen and also try to update Display Adapter driver.

Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen pictures.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select the lock screen picture.

Step 2: I recommend you to update the latest driver for display adapter in Device Manager.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Expand Display Adapter.

4. Right click on the driver and click on Update driver software.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

Win10 desktop screen locks up, video driver issue?

1. Win10 desktop screen locks up, video driver issue? - Similar Threads - Win10 desktop screen

2. HDR video issues with Win10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR video issues with Win10?: I've tinkered the color settings, 12 bit, 10 bit, RGB, etc. but 4K videos in Potplayer and VLC still look washed out unless I screw with hue, contrast, etc, but even then it's not great, and I have to use Reshade in games to simulate HDR because even the game I tried with an...
  3. Video Driver issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Video Driver issue: Hello, I don't know what happened, but I have problems with my video Driver. Intel hd graphics 5500, i3. I understand a little in pc, and tried to do something by myself, I tried for instructions on how to update/change/renew my video Driver, but I couldn't find anything....
  4. Video Driver issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video Driver issue: Hi i am getting the Blue Screen error, whenever I start the recording with inbuild camera. please find the MiniDump Detail for the same, Please help to resolve the issue. Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.19041.1 AMD64 Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All...
  5. Video screensaver/lock screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Video screensaver/lock screen?: On Windows 8, I could set a video as my screensaver. I would choose slideshow for my screensaver and choose a folder with the video in it, and it would loop without issue. I can't get Windows 10 to do the same thing. Yes, the file is a "windows media video". How can I...
  6. Win10 Video Driver reduce resolution

Win10 Video Driver reduce resolution: Is it possible to configure the Win10 video driver so that it uses less than the full height of a screen? For example, I want to use a 4K screen (3840x2160) but only use, say, the bottom 1080 rows of pixels (or 1200, or some other number <2160). Note that I do not want to use...
  7. How to lock icons in desktop in WIN10

How to lock icons in desktop in WIN10: I want to lock the icons in my desktop so that other users can't add or remove icons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-lock-icons-in-desktop-in-win10/aa1c15f1-0191-4ff0-a168-f4b58b2ce482
  8. Change lock screen to a video

Change lock screen to a video: Hi all, I was wondering if it's possible to put a looping video as the lock screen? If possible, instructions would be much appreciated! Thanks 22216
  9. Video driver issues

Video driver issues: Ok laptop Dell Latitude D510. 2 gigs of ram 1.4 gig processor 60 Gig hard drive. XP was on it installed Windows 10. Had audio and video issues.No drivers installed could not find or update them. Went to Dell site and downloaded drivers for audio, chipset and firmware. Got...
  10. Lock up screen issues - hang on lock up

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock up screen issues - hang on lock up: Hi All. I have a new one installed Lenovo T450s with Windows 10 Entreprise. I have joined the machine into a domain without some active GPO. When I'm at home or sitting at a customer and must unlock the screen, it takes a war! It is as if searching for the DNS server...