Windows 10: Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive

Discus and support Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Moderators, if I have mis-categorized this question, please re-categorize as needed. I have Win10 on an HP desktop. I've been using a 4TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ballardguy, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive

Hi,

Moderators, if I have mis-categorized this question, please re-categorize as needed.

I have Win10 on an HP desktop. I've been using a 4TB Western Digital external hard drive to back up my desktop data weekly and have had no problems doing this. The point is that this external drive is not brand new with nothing on it. It has files on it.

Recently, and while my WD drive was plugged in to the USB on my desktop, I happened to visit Disk Management, a place I do not regularly visit, and saw this information for Disk 7, referring to my 4TB WD drive:

Left-side pane | Right-side pane

Disk 7 |

Unknown |

3725.99 GB | 3725.99 GB

Not initialized | Unallocated

Well, I was hoping it would have said similar to what it says for my other external Backup drive, a 2TB Seagate drive:

Basic | Seagate Backup Slim (SWin10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive :)

1862.89 GB | 1862.89 GB NTFS

Online | Healthy (Primary Partition)

If I right-click the right-side pane for Disk 7, it only allows me these choices:

Properties

Help

and right-clicking the left-side shows only these options:

Initialize Disk

Properties

Help

Incidentally, I notice it does not let me "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

Of course, I do not want to initialize the WD or else I will erase all of its data.

My question is:

Is there a problem with my WD external drive forever showing up on Disk Management in the way it does? If so, how do I "fix" it without initializing/reformatting that drive?

All I can find online that even comes near talking about my concern is this comment referencing a WD drive:

Like the case above, the issue “disk unknown not initialized” happens not only on removable hard drives but also on internal or external hard drives from major manufacturers like Western Digital, Samsung, etc in Windows 10/8/7.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/disk-unknown-not-initialized.html

So, maybe this is to be expected for my WD drive and I just need to live with it? Apparently Disk Management has an issue and I'm wondering what of it?

Thanks for any input.

:)

Ballardguy, Jul 7, 2019
  2. vallero Win User

external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive [​IMG]

Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive [​IMG]

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Jul 7, 2019
  3. backup drive not recognized

Hi,

As per the description, I understand that the external backup is not being recognized. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check for status.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” option on top left pane.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 7, 2019
  4. Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive

External usb drive no longer recognized by W10 backup

Hi Rob,

Maybe my post was not clear enough. Your suggestions only work when the external drive is actually recognized by the backup program, which is not the case (see the title of my post).

Do you have any suggestions about how to get w10 backup to recognize my drive? I can use the drive and see it in the file explorer, but the backup program doesn't see it.

Jo

JoLouvenberg, Jul 7, 2019
Thema:

Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive

1. Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive - Similar Threads - Win10 Disk Management

2. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management: Hello,I have a problem with my external hard drive, WD My passport 2TO.I've been using it for about a year now on windows 10, and I never had a problem with it.Last week, I wanted to format my external HDD and switch to another file system because I couldn't read my disk from...
  3. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management: Hello,I have a problem with my external hard drive, WD My passport 2TO.I've been using it for about a year now on windows 10, and I never had a problem with it.Last week, I wanted to format my external HDD and switch to another file system because I couldn't read my disk from...
  4. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive: I bought a 2.5 inch 1Tb drive to serve as a recovery device. It is connected via a SATA/USB adapter to a USB port on the rear panel of the PC. It is not visible in File Manager, the Disk Managaer aplet, Device Manager, nor is it appearing in the UEFI BIOS. The BIOS settings...
  6. External drive recognized in disk manager but wont let me create a pool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External drive recognized in disk manager but wont let me create a pool: I have a Kesu external hard drive that I set up in disk management but when I try to create a pool in storage settings, it says can't prepare drives and gives me error code 0x00000057. When I looked up the code, it says its an error in connecting a printer but I'm trying to...
  7. Windows backup to external hard drive doesn't recognize external drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows backup to external hard drive doesn't recognize external drive.: Need to rebuild my OS, but I'd llike to do a full backup before I proceed. But the built in Windows 10 backup doesn't recognize my Seagate Desktop Drive. Google searches only brought up windows forums saying to check your drivers, although it works fine in explorer. Are...
  8. Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management

Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management: Hello I have a 4 TB seagate imagepro external harddrive which I have been using for about two years. Every time I plugged it in I would get a message saying there are problems with the drive and I always ignored it. Finally I chose the option to scan and repair. While this...
  9. Disk Management for External SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management for External SSD drive: I bought a Samsung 500 GB SSD T5 and I'd like to use it without the Samsung app, just as an external drive. Disk management shows it as a 42 MB partition. I'd like to delete this partition and reclaim the rest of my 500 GBs but nothing I do will allow this. Is this an...
  10. External USB drive not recognized for Disk Image

External USB drive not recognized for Disk Image: Greeting with a smile. I'm trying to save a first time disk image on an external USB drive. And I had it working at the start. The first time, it started fine, and was running fine. But it took longer than I thought it would, and I had to shut it down before it was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2tb ssd not showing up in win10 1903